Restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.
An article in WaPo on take out, it address some risks and offers useful suggestions. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...akeout-and-delivery-and-how-to-minimize-them/

Either way, when you bring outside meals into the house, you should remove the food from the bags/packaging/containers and put it on clean dishware (and use your own utensils). If you want, you can use gloves to open the packaging/containers. When finished, you should throw away the materials or thoroughly clean and recycle them. You should immediately wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap and hot water before eating. (If you don’t have soap and hot water available, a hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol will suffice.) You should also clean and disinfect all surfaces where the packaging materials were placed. And don’t touch your face at any point.

Before we get too carried away, remember that the virus is "killed" by temperatures over about 140F. So that pizza which was pulled from a 600-degree pizza over using a metal peel (that big flat spatula) isn't going to have any virus on it. The whole inside of the box is probably over 140 pretty quickly, too.

So that "untouched by human hands" thing is a bit of irrelevant marketing fluff to me.

But you've all got me thinking about making some homemade pizza now...

Little Caesar’s is running a new ad campaign for contactless pizza. Yes, they are actively promoting that nobody will touch your pizza the entire time it is being made.

It used to be they advertised extra cheese or thick crust. Now all that matters is no human contact. Amazing how much the world has changed in three weeks.

The current crisis will only accelerate the pace of automation...there's no reason most fast-food couldn't be made completely by robots.

And indoors in any fast-food chain there will be new plexiglass screens completely separating customers from staff...they'll put the food tray on one of those drawers that spin around to deliver it to the customer.

I'd like to go get some pick up or delivery stuff to help my peeps out but my wife is scared to death of each new item that enters the house.

I thinks I'd rather be dead than live like this.

Oh that’s tough for you!

I guess ordering your gourmet food items is also a problem for her?

I normally eat fast food 10-15 times a week. Haven't had any fast food in the last 17 days - just eating at home. Like others, I'm worried that food not prepared by me can have the virus.

I suspect that it is going be a long time before people get their confidence back in food prepared by others and restaurants get back to where they were.

Imagine how healthy many folks will become.

I haven't had ice-cream in 3 weeks, not sure it will survive the pickup grocery routine, and cannot find frozen yogurt as I prefer that to ice-cream. Mostly so I can pretend I'm being healthy :D

Imagine how healthy many folks will become.

I haven't had ice-cream in 3 weeks, not sure it will survive the pickup grocery routine, and cannot find frozen yogurt as I prefer that to ice-cream. Mostly so I can pretend I'm being healthy :D

Unfortunately for us, I like to bake. We have only gotten take out(cheesesteaks) once since 3/14 so in theory we have been eating healthier food prepared at home. But with so much time on my hands I’ve been baking more, but now there is no one to share with us. There goes any benefit of skipping restaurant food!

I’ve started putting half of whatever I bake directly onto the freezer. It keeps us from eating it all and insures that we will have baked goods available even if I run out of flour.

There is a level of paranoia among some that is a bit over the top, but at a time like this it's welcomed by everyone else around that person. Unless you live with them, maybe.

A base understanding on how these viruses live and die should help many deal with the paranoia, but some are going to assume worst case based on random information in media. They aren't hurting anyone by living like that other than themselves and people they also convince to live like themselves.

I'd like to go get some pick up or delivery stuff to help my peeps out but my wife is scared to death of each new item that enters the house.

Give her time to chill out . It is a scary time .

In Southern California we have a Chinese restaurant chain with 62 locations called Pick Up Stix. It’s been in business for more than 25 years now. They were always very busy any time I stopped in. Virtually all of their business is take out. They don’t have waiters and there are only a few tables in each restaurant.

They have been completely closed for several weeks now with no plans to reopen at any specific date. It’s hard to imagine what the thought process was to close so many restaurants that do almost exclusively take out business. Has anyone heard anything about why they shut down so abruptly?

We're still doing carry out 3+ times a week, but that's only helping about 20% of restaurant employees, this is brutal for 80% of them. I've read several reports that show 70-90% of sit-down restaurant employees have been laid off. Maybe less for fast food where drive-thru has been the norm all along.

We're still doing carry out 3+ times a week, but that's only helping about 20% of restaurant employees, this is brutal for 80% of them. I've read several reports that show 70-90% of sit-down restaurant employees have been laid off. Maybe less for fast food where drive-thru has been the norm all along.

Not necessarily. DD's Panera Bread has seen a dramatic decline in business immediately after we got our first confirmed case in Ohio. She was working about 40 hours per week and is now working about 10 hours per week. Every store employee, including the managers, has had their hours slashed dramatically. Overall, they relied heavily on dine in business with a lot of elderly customers and college students. Carry out and drive thru was more of an afterthought in comparison. That may not be the case at every Panera Bread location, but overall they really present a positive dine in atmosphere. DD said they had regular customers who'd come in daily and some would sit for a few hours. Without dine in, they're nearly dead.

Nearby within shouting distance is a Taco Bell, McDonald's, Dunkin', and Burger King. All are hurting, although Dunkin' appears to have the most traffic in their drive thru.

Not necessarily. DD's Panera Bread has seen a dramatic decline in business immediately after we got our first confirmed case in Ohio.

I would occasionally go to Panera Bread if I was out shopping or running errands and needed a bite to eat. The places were always clean and comfortable.

But now I rarely do any shopping or have any errands. And why would I want to get in my car and drive to a Panera Bread restaurant, and then have to worry about removing the food from the packaging and sanitizing my hands just to eat a sandwich that I could just as easily make at home and avoid the hassle.

I'm married to a superior Southern cook, and her artistry is in the kitchen. Today it was chicken & dumplings and a carrot cake.

Most of our big meals are at lunch, and we are on our own for supper. Since we're not out and around town, we have no reason to eat out anywhere.

Tomorrow, I think I'll bring out the smoker and cook some baby back ribs.

I would occasionally go to Panera Bread if I was out shopping or running errands and needed a bite to eat. The places were always clean and comfortable.

But now I rarely do any shopping or have any errands. And why would I want to get in my car and drive to a Panera Bread restaurant, and then have to worry about removing the food from the packaging and sanitizing my hands just to eat a sandwich that I could just as easily make at home and avoid the hassle.

On a similar note, the college 2 doors down from her Panera Bread closed down just a few days before the governor ordered dining rooms to close down. That was an immediate and noticeable loss of the college student business.

Most of the customers are using the drive thru. A few come in for carry out, either ordering at the counter or using Rapid Pick-Up. They moved the Rapid Pick-Up station right by the door, so customers don't have to come inside too far to get their food.

I'm still getting take out at least once a week to help keep my grocery food stash from depleting too fast. With the dramatic shift in food habits from restaurants to grocery stores, the restaurants are a more reliable food source right now. I'd like to dial down my grocery trips and it's not easy when buying for 4 adults. DH suggested dialing up the take out a bit, so I'm considering it. We have several places within a mile from us and I can use DD's Panera Bread on days that she works.

My DW would be in agreement with you. While she hasn't been going out to the grocery stores since the first days of hoarding, leaving the shopping to me which I usually do anyway, she insists that we will be having Easter dinner at our house with our DD visiting (she's about 20-25 minutes away, and we haven't seen her in 5 weeks). For many, this would be a big mistake, but my DW refuses to let that one go.

It will be interesting to see if our DD will change her mind and not come. She's more cautious about COVID-19 than my DW is. Depending on how early the virus made its way to the western US, our DD may have been exposed to someone who very likely had it, which is why she hasn't visited in 5 weeks.

Last edited:
My DW would be in agreement with you. While she hasn't been going out to the grocery stores since the first days of hoarding, leaving the shopping to me which I usually do anyway, she insists that we will be having Easter dinner at our house with our DD visiting (she's about 20-25 minutes away, and we haven't seen her in 5 weeks). For many, this would be a big mistake, but my DW refuses to let that one go.

It will be interesting to see if our DD will change her mind and not come. She's more cautious about COVID-19 than my DW is. Depending on how early the virus made its way to the western US, our DD may have been exposed to someone who very likely had it, which is why she hasn't visited in 5 weeks.

We have cut back out visits to older relatives.
Because if we visited them, and they suddenly get sick a week or so later, there would always be the thought that our last visit killed them.

We do phone a little more, and did a quick visit wearing masks to deliver masks and groceries.

They have been completely closed for several weeks now with no plans to reopen at any specific date. It’s hard to imagine what the thought process was to close so many restaurants that do almost exclusively take out business. Has anyone heard anything about why they shut down so abruptly?

It seems odd, but I imagine that the owners figure they can survive better for a few months by minimizing expenses including their payroll. This is bad for their 'expendable' employees, but good for any local mom-and-pop places that are just trying scrape out survival until this mess is over.

One in 10 Ohio restaurants could close due to coronavirus, legislators told

The Ohio Restaurant Association had sobering news for state lawmakers Tuesday: As many as one in 10 restaurants might close for good because of the coronavirus pandemic.

“We employed 585,000 people, which is 10% of Ohio’s workforce,” said John Barker, the association’s president. “Since the crisis began, (51%) of all restaurant locations in Ohio have closed, and 3% already indicate they are permanently shuttering their business.”

The hotel and hair salon industries aren’t faring any better.

Many of the distributors who sold food to restaurants have pivoted their businesses to supply grocery stores, Barker said. “For them to switch back into restaurants could be two weeks to a month.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom