Join Early Retirement Today

Making friends in new location
Old 03-07-2021, 08:09 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm just a little over 2 years away from retirement. I am comfortable with my investments and draw down plan- believe it or not the thing I stress about the most is the social side of retirement. We bought a house in our retirement location 2 yrs ago and are slowly fixing it up. Very nice community near the water and close to our marina where our boat is. Our primary residence is in another state until retirement. Since we are not here full time yet and now with Covid it's been tough to meet people.

Any advice from folks who retired to a new destination? Did you join a local club? Volunteer?
Flyfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2021, 08:18 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I’ve met hundreds of people by taking up pickleball. It’s a very social sport and the people I’ve met are really nice. If you have courts in your neighborhood you will likely see many of your neighbors there and get to know them while playing together.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:29 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I met people through a running club, volunteering for the local nature foundation, and skiing. When you ski mid-week at a small mountain, you get to recognize the regulars and a ski lift is a good opportunity to chat.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:05 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in my new western Colorado location going on one year. I did not know anybody, other than the real estate agent when I got here. I was able to get involved in various activities and volunteering through meetup.com. It has been a great source to meet like minded people especially during pandemic limitations.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:23 AM   #5

Play golf as there are no strangers on a golf course.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:59 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

You have to be willing to join in. We’ve moved to a large community that is mostly retirees. They have golf clubs, book clubs, women’s luncheons etc. We’ve also met people while we were at the beach. Struck up a conversation and started talking about local happy hour places and decided to meet up later that day. Been friends ever since. I see others have recommended Meet Up. Although I’ve never gone to any I’ve heard they’re a great way to meet like minded people. Pickle ball is very popular too.
Carol1862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:02 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought meet up was only for singles - I could be wrong on that.
No pickle ball in the area...although that does sound fun.
Thought about trying golf again, used to play(badly) 20 yrs ago.
Flyfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:22 PM   #8

Definitely find like-minded people who gather together. My nirvana is a makerspace, but all of the ideas mentioned are good ones.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfish1
I thought meet up was only for singles - I could be wrong on that...........
No, Meetup is not just for singles. Generally it is for people with a common interest to get together. I hike with a Meetup group. Or did, pre-Covid.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:40 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

We would second MeetUp...post COVID that is. We joined meetup in different cities in Australia and the US and have enjoyed meeting new friends. Hiking, sailing, travel or newcomers meetups have been great.

Since you are a boater, I would also recommend joining related groups. If you cruise on your boat, for example, there’s a lot of opportunity to connect virtually and hopefully soon, in person. Here’s a picture of our boat taken yesterday from the boat of friends we met through MTOA, the Marine Trawler Owners Association. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2691.jpg (349.7 KB, 75 views)
bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I’ve met hundreds of people by taking up pickleball. It’s a very social sport and the people I’ve met are really nice. If you have courts in your neighborhood you will likely see many of your neighbors there and get to know them while playing together.
Same here with Pickleball, but not quite at the 100's level.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:45 PM   #12

- if most of the neighbors are retired try pulling your car onto your driveway and raise the hood. shouldn't take too long for a small group of "assistants" to gather.

- throw yourself a "we want to get to know you" backyard cookout.

- volunteer for something
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:03 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Join everything! If you’re even remotely interested in a group, activity or other gathering - just join and try it out. If you don’t like it, you really haven’t lost anything - and you might meet someone anyway. If you hit it off with someone, get coffee together. And if it’s really horrible, just leave.

But there’s no other way to meet people in a new place, other residents already have friends so they aren’t looking for new ones, you have to initiate.

We just moved here about a year and a half ago, and with Covid for a year now, it’s been harder than it would have otherwise been. Thanks to golf for me, sailing for both of us, and tai chi and paddleboard yoga for DW - we’ve made some new friends thankfully. We’re probably going to join a pickleball league too.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
-

When we first moved here we got to know some of our neighbors and decided to throw a cocktail/appetizer party. We invited the few nearby neighbors and told them to include other neighbors they knew too that would like to get together. Was a great start to many friendships. Others started to do the same too.
Carol1862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
- if most of the neighbors are retired try pulling your car onto your driveway and raise the hood. shouldn't take too long for a small group of "assistants" to gather.

I moved late last year to a new community. At Christmas I hand delivered boxes of Christmas cookies with my contact info. Did similar for Valentines Day. Once Covid lifts I want to have a cookout in the small park in front of our house. The cookies really have made a difference in at least saying hi how are ya.

I felt like I had to reach out instead of just waiting for everyone to come over
Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkeley View Post
Since you are a boater, I would also recommend joining related groups. If you cruise on your boat, for example, there’s a lot of opportunity to connect virtually and hopefully soon, in person. Here’s a picture of our boat taken yesterday from the boat of friends we met through MTOA, the Marine Trawler Owners Association. Enjoy!

And it's the same in the motorhome world. It's often easy to make new friends on campsites and such.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:04 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol1862 View Post
Pickle ball is very popular too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Same here with Pickleball, but not quite at the 100's level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I’ve met hundreds of people by taking up pickleball.
What the heck is pickleball? Is this some sort of regional thing? I've never heard of pickleball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Join everything! If you’re even remotely interested in a group, activity or other gathering - just join and try it out. If you don’t like it, you really haven’t lost anything - and you might meet someone anyway. If you hit it off with someone, get coffee together. And if it’s really horrible, just leave.

But there’s no other way to meet people in a new place, other residents already have friends so they aren’t looking for new ones, you have to initiate.
I don't dispute that you are correct. But, for introverts none of that is easy. I was actually pondering this last year pre-Covid. We moved to the area where I grew up. We do have some family here but that is a several times a year sort of thing, not day to day social. I have a very good friend from high school here. But it is hard.

I met DH back when I was single (almost 30 years ago) because I finally forced myself to go and take lessons and play bridge at a club.

In some ways it is harder to find interests now that I am older. Many people or my age are not remotely interested at all in the things I'm interested in. I can do some activities with younger people but true friendship is more difficult. I think for people who are churchgoers it is easier. But, we're not.

Post Covid I do plan to try some things out. But, honestly, as an introvert even finding out where to go to find someone with a common interest is difficult....
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:59 PM   #18

Another vote for pickleball. We have been playing twice a day for the last month and have met many people.

https://usapickleball.org/what-is-pickleball/
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:04 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
What the heck is pickleball? Is this some sort of regional thing? I've never heard of pickleball.
See post # 18 for the basics.
Pickleball has been described as playing on top of a ping pong table. If one has hand/eye coordination, they will pick up the game. If they have had prior experience with ping pong/racquetball/tennis, then the game should come even easier.
It is the fastest growing sport in America and it is truly lots of fun, great workout and can be competitive if one wishes it to be.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:27 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Clubs, volunteer work, church, neighborhood watch - Covid is the big "nasty" in the middle of the room, but there are still opportunities to meet and greet. We have more friends now that we've moved than we did back home AND when we visit (back home) we are more appreciated. Best of both worlds so enjoy and, hey, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote