Anxiety and Big Decisions

Alcofribas

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello,

I have been following the forum for a while now and finally decided to take the plunge and join. I am a 54-year-old single male in good health who recently met the qualifications for full pension benefits having taught 26 years at a state college. It has been my goal for much of my career to retire early once I met those pension qualifications and yet now than I finally have, I find myself strangely anxious at the prospect. I’ll dive into the details of my situation with the hope that some may be able to offer advice or encouragement.

I have always lived well below my means and have managed to save $1.1 million on a professor’s salary, which is currently about $100K. My townhome is paid off and I have no debt. My total expenses last year amounted to $22K. My college is offering me a buyout if I retire by the end of August, 2021. If I retire at that time my pension will be around $58K annually. The buyout offers a range of options from a lifetime annuity that would be a little over $3K annually to about $74K paid out over about five years. My pension is calculated based on the number of years of service and the average of my five highest salaries. I estimate that if I pass on the buyout package and work one more year my pension will be about where my monthly payments would be if I opted for the lifetime annuity. So, my monthly income would probably be nearly the same if I worked an extra year rather than taking the buyout. But that, of course, means another year of work.

I thought of two other considerations though. The pension is subject to periodic COL adjustments whereas the annuity would not be so the $3K a year would decline in importance over time with inflation relative to the pension. The other consideration is that I typically save around $50K a year so that extra year of work would add another $50K to my portfolio.

Other relevant circumstances and information include: My health insurance premiums will be covered by the state until I qualify for Medicare. I will not be eligible for Social Security. It is unlikely but not inconceivable that my very elderly parents may need some financial assistance at some point though I have a brother and sister that would help with that. I have traveled extensively but would like to take about four more international trips.

The biggest wildcard I see is that I would really like to relocate and that could take a substantial bite out of my nest egg. The area where I live has become too crowded and busy for me. I can’t stand going out in the traffic and so I sometimes feel like I’m imprisoned in my home. Ideally, I would like to move someplace where I could walk out my door and go hiking or maybe emigrate. I have considered Portugal for example. I have little doubt I could afford to retire if I stayed put but I am terrified that I would end up spending too much time sitting around the house because of my aversion to traffic and the fact that this area does not offer the kind of activities that I prefer.

You've got $1.1M saved and a pension that covers 2.5x your expenses, and you're worried about COL on the small annuity and thinking about $50K savings to work another year? Even with more expenses from travel, and maybe eating into your nest egg by moving you should be fine as long as you don't travel by private jet and buy a McMansion.

I would take the buyout and make some of your trips to places you think you'd like to retire in and imagine yourself living there, doing some of the essentials like grocery shopping as well as fun things like hiking.

You've got $1.1M saved and a pension that covers 2.5x your expenses, and you're worried about COL on the small annuity and thinking about $50K savings to work another year? Even with more expenses from travel, and maybe eating into your nest egg by moving you should be fine as long as you don't travel by private jet and buy a McMansion.

I would take the buyout and make some of your trips to places you think you'd like to retire in and imagine yourself living there, doing some of the essentials like grocery shopping as well as fun things like hiking.

What he said...

^ This.

Also, one of the great things about retirement is the ability to choose when to venture out and choose the day/time to minimize traffic. We try to avoid going anywhere during rush hours and weekends when all the working folks are on the road.

Do you want to retire? You can, so if you want to, just do it.

One option for the buyout is $74,000 received over five years. That would fund the four more international trips you mention, and probably leave a major chunk to apply toward your annual savings habit of $50,000 a year for one more year.

Instead of waiting one more year to retire for no real net financial gain, do it now. Spend that extra gift year exploring and researching places you might want to relocate to for your retirement life.

You mention walking out the door to go hiking. I am sure any number of places could qualify on that score. In the US, Boulder Colorado, Sierra Vista Arizona, and North Bend Washington come to mind, just to mention a few.

58K pension with 22k expenses. Is there any further analysis needed?

Nope, no fancy math necessary.

OP is definitely overthinking it. Retire when you are first eligible for the buyout and not a moment later. Take the $74k over 5 years as its worth more than the $65k premium for a SPIA that pays $3k/year for life.

Then challenge yourself how to find fun ways to spend all of your pension.

OP you can work another year and save 50k but you can't buy another year of life. Enjoy your well funded retirement.

Anxiety is from being in a situation you don't feel you have the ability/skills to handle(this cost me $$$$). It's quite natural, you have worked all your adult life it feels uncomfortable, anxiety is a common outcome. I shook my first 6 months, you don't have to. Deep breathing helps.

If your an academic chances are
You could adjunct teach if needed somewhere else or work at a private school if you are ever concerned about finances. I would take the buyout and go on my way. Your gonna have to go thru a transition sometime. FWIW I retired at 46.

With a COLA'd pension that exceeds your expenses, you can safely spend down rather than try to grow your nest egg. You need to decide what kind of safety margin you want to keep, but you can spend 3x more than you do now and your withdrawal rate would be negligible. You would have to spend between 4-5x your current expenses to start to worry about your nest egg decreasing. As long as you can cut back your spending during a recession, you are golden, especially since you won't ever have to worry about private health insurance.

What expenses does the $22K represent? I'm guessing it's just basic living expenses while you're working. What would you like to do with your retirement, and what will it cost?

Let's say your pension is $58K a year. (Your "buyout options" are not clear to me.) If that's pre-tax then you have to pay taxes out of that.

It seems to me that you have about a break-even situation. You can live forever off your pension (after-tax) without ever touching your savings. Unless you develop some expensive hobbies.

Free health insurance until Medicare takes almost all the uncertainty out of your decision. It amazes me that government and military employees get lavish pensions and medical coverage and the taxpayers don't seem to care.

You’re making me jealous.

Pull the plug and start a new career for fun if that’s what you want. Better yet take the payout and hit one of your bucket list trips, then see how you’re feeling. From what I’ve read here you might discover you’re perfectly happy.

Btw congrats on a long career of helping others! Well done.

Please don't take this the wrong way, as it's really a question and not an accusation...

but I'm wondering if your living expenses are correct. Why? Because if you've been making $100k and have expenses of only $22k, then where has all the extra money gone? If you've been saving the remaining $78k/year, then it seems you'd have more than $1.1M in savings.

If you have a good explanation and you are CERTAIN that your living expenses are correct, then I agree you are good to go. However, I can't help but wonder about the $22k number. Perhaps you've only been making the "big money" for a few years?

Congrats and good luck, and hopefully you can find a living location that makes you less anxious. And if you are really able to live on $22k, kudos to you...as that's a very low budget!

Please don't take this the wrong way, as it's really a question and not an accusation...

but I'm wondering if your living expenses are correct. Why? Because if you've been making $100k and have expenses of only $22k, then where has all the extra money gone? If you've been saving the remaining $78k/year, then it seems you'd have more than $1.1M in savings.
Taxes. OP says they can save $50K with another year of work. That sounds reasonable with $28K of taxes. $100K is current salary, so it's not $50K saved every year since starting.

I laughed when I read this. Thank you for pointing out the absurdity of my paralysis-through-analysis. Sometimes it is hard to see a situation clearly when you are too close and too personally invested. That's when it pays to get other perspectives.

Yes, time seems to be passing so rapidly now. As I have read many times on this forum, you only have so many healthy years.

Severing that connection to work is uncomfortable. I think another facet of my anxiety stems from my experience as a child when my father went into business for himself and my family experienced some lean years. So, rational or not, a 40% reduction in my income affects me viscerally. There are other issues as well, potentially moving away from friends and family is one.

OP you can work another year and save 50k but you can't buy another year of life. Enjoy your well funded retirement.

Anxiety is from being in a situation you don't feel you have the ability/skills to handle(this cost me $$$$). It's quite natural, you have worked all your adult life it feels uncomfortable, anxiety is a common outcome. I shook my first 6 months, you don't have to. Deep breathing helps.

That $22K is mostly taxes, food, association fees, etc. So yes basic living expenses. I've never been a spender. My car is 21 years old and has 43K miles because I bicycle to work. I fill up the car every four months or so. My biggest discretionary luxury is travel but I'm a budget traveler. I don't stay at the Ritz.

Yes, the $58K pension is before taxes. The biggest expense I foresee at this point for retirement would be relocation. I would like to buy and relocate to some rural land. I've also been looking at co-housing. Co-housing arrangements don't come cheap because you are usually buying a share of the community property. A small condo in a co-housing project might run $350K or more.

Don't get too upset about the pension and medical coverage. The benefits that helped to lure me to this work when I was beginning my career have unfortunately been tightened up considerably by the state for more recent hires. I have a Ph.D. in STEM and my graduate school classmates who went to work in private industry tended to make considerably more than I did throughout the course of their careers. So things even out in some ways.

What expenses does the $22K represent? I'm guessing it's just basic living expenses while you're working. What would you like to do with your retirement, and what will it cost?

Let's say your pension is $58K a year. (Your "buyout options" are not clear to me.) If that's pre-tax then you have to pay taxes out of that.

It seems to me that you have about a break-even situation. You can live forever off your pension (after-tax) without ever touching your savings. Unless you develop some expensive hobbies.

Free health insurance until Medicare takes almost all the uncertainty out of your decision. It amazes me that government and military employees get lavish pensions and medical coverage and the taxpayers don't seem to care.

I elaborated a little bit on my expenses in another post. I basically live like a monk in a small townhome. I seldom go out. I usually bicycle to work. I bought my car in 2000. Depending on the location, I can travel overseas for more than a month for under $5K. I've just never been a spender.

I do intend to go back and calculate my expenses for a couple of more years but I think $22K is probably about right on average.

My salary just reached about $100K in the last year. We usually get annual 2% COL increases but not always. My salary was $91K as recently as five years ago and was $36K at the beginning of my career.

I think the discrepancy you noticed may be largely due to withholding. The $22K includes the checks I wrote for taxes but does not include withholding by the IRS and Medicare. On the savings side I may also have missed withholding to my 403b and/or 457 plans, which are automatically deducted from my pay. You have, however, inspired me to go back and double and maybe triple check all of this before I pull the trigger on retirement.

If you have a good explanation and you are CERTAIN that your living expenses are correct, then I agree you are good to go. However, I can't help but wonder about the $22k number. Perhaps you've only been making the "big money" for a few years?

Congrats and good luck, and hopefully you can find a living location that makes you less anxious. And if you are really able to live on $22k, kudos to you...as that's a very low budget!

I elaborated a little bit on my expenses in another post. I basically live like a monk in a small townhome. I seldom go out. I usually bicycle to work. I bought my car in 2000. Depending on the location, I can travel overseas for more than a month for under $5K. I've just never been a spender...

Please consider starting a travel blog...I and I'm sure many others could benefit from your advice & experience at traveling so inexpensively.

Taxes. OP says they can save $50K with another year of work. That sounds reasonable with $28K of taxes. $100K is current salary, so it's not $50K saved every year since starting.

Thanks RB. That sounds more reasonable. Some people consider taxes an expense, others don't.

That $22K is mostly taxes, food, association fees, etc. So yes basic living expenses. I've never been a spender. My car is 21 years old and has 43K miles because I bicycle to work. I fill up the car every four months or so. My biggest discretionary luxury is travel but I'm a budget traveler. I don't stay at the Ritz.

Yes, the $58K pension is before taxes. The biggest expense I foresee at this point for retirement would be relocation. I would like to buy and relocate to some rural land. I've also been looking at co-housing. Co-housing arrangements don't come cheap because you are usually buying a share of the community property. A small condo in a co-housing project might run $350K or more.

Don't get too upset about the pension and medical coverage. The benefits that helped to lure me to this work when I was beginning my career have unfortunately been tightened up considerably by the state for more recent hires. I have a Ph.D. in STEM and my graduate school classmates who went to work in private industry tended to make considerably more than I did throughout the course of their careers. So things even out in some ways.

Ok now I'm confused again...he says the $22k INCLUDES taxes lol. Read my earlier question/post.

I elaborated a little bit on my expenses in another post. I basically live like a monk in a small townhome. I seldom go out. I usually bicycle to work. I bought my car in 2000. Depending on the location, I can travel overseas for more than a month for under $5K. I've just never been a spender.

I do intend to go back and calculate my expenses for a couple of more years but I think $22K is probably about right on average.

My salary just reached about $100K in the last year. We usually get annual 2% COL increases but not always. My salary was $91K as recently as five years ago and was $36K at the beginning of my career.

I think the discrepancy you noticed may be largely due to withholding. The $22K includes the checks I wrote for taxes but does not include withholding by the IRS and Medicare. On the savings side I may also have missed withholding to my 403b and/or 457 plans, which are automatically deducted from my pay. You have, however, inspired me to go back and double and maybe triple check all of this before I pull the trigger on retirement.
Ok, now we're getting somewhere lol. Sorry for all the confusion.

Back
Top Bottom