Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2021, 06:25 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

dont have a roku stick,but my wife watches "roku channel "on the internet.. tons of shows and she mainly watches "heat of the night" episodes.
ERObjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2021, 03:50 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondAttempt View Post
Bought a Roku 1 about 8 years ago when I moved and was bouncing around places for a few months until my renter's lease expired. All in all it served its purpose back then.

I have repurposed it as a Pandora streamer. This is our nightly home mood music. But starting last night it quit! It says everything is cool but there is no sound on any Roku channel.

I have a Kodi install on the same TV and it works fine, no sound issues. Swapping their HDMI cables did not solve the problem, still hear Kodi but not Roku.

All the support forums say, unplug/wait/plug or remove/reinstall. Been there done that.

Anyone experiencing the same issues and maybe solved it?
Not trying to be a *#*+^: but buy a new one.They are very cheap. Do you expect such a device to last forever?
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:33 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Bought a Roku 1 about 8 years ago when I moved and was bouncing around places for a few months until my renter's lease expired. All in all it served its purpose back then.

I have repurposed it as a Pandora streamer. This is our nightly home mood music. But starting last night it quit! It says everything is cool but there is no sound on any Roku channel.

I have a Kodi install on the same TV and it works fine, no sound issues. Swapping their HDMI cables did not solve the problem, still hear Kodi but not Roku.

All the support forums say, unplug/wait/plug or remove/reinstall. Been there done that.

I have 3 Rokus and recently had to replace one. The new Roku is so much faster and better. Just buy one on sale now. You won’t regret it!
GaryTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:53 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliotgb183 View Post
Roku’s are great but they lack the ability to sideload apps ala Amazon Firesticks, Cubes, etc. I actually program 4K firesticks and have free apps like PlutoTV, SmartYoutube, Kodi and CinemaHD. I have an IPTV streaming provider.

Cut cable years ago. Total cost for all of this is less than $40/month and I get all NFL games, local and national news, movie channels and more.

I’d never return to any cable arrangement.
If you don't mind...who is your internet provider?
carty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:15 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Roku’s are great. Everyone I know who shelled out big bucks for a smart TV. Gave up on the TV Apps snd bought a Roku or Fire stick. We have both depending and they work fine but if they stop working it is $25 to replace and upgrade usually. Totally worth it
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Does anyone use Roku?
Old 12-07-2021, 11:27 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

Does anyone use Roku?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carty1 View Post
If you don't mind...who is your internet provider?

Roku’s have 100’s of channels as well. PlutoTV is one that I have installed. Roku has the ability to install non-certified channels as well which I have some of those installed as well. Soon, they are removing the non-certified channels. But, honestly I have more channels than I can use.
(Edited out some of my remarks.)
Old 12-08-2021, 04:28 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliotgb183 View Post
Roku’s are great but they lack the ability to sideload apps ala Amazon Firesticks, Cubes, etc. I actually program 4K firesticks and have free apps like PlutoTV, SmartYoutube, Kodi and CinemaHD. I have an IPTV streaming provider.
Firestick has the PlutoTV app in their appstore. No need to sideload anymore.

But I understand your point which is important to die-hards and people with specific needs.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I use it every day. Have it on 3 TVs. Allows me not to hard wire cable.
Same here, and it travels well to Florida in the winter!!!

VW
Old 12-08-2021, 07:35 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Expat View Post
Roku’s are great. Everyone I know who shelled out big bucks for a smart TV. Gave up on the TV Apps snd bought a Roku or Fire stick. We have both depending and they work fine but if they stop working it is $25 to replace and upgrade usually. Totally worth it
How recently were these purchases? DW picked up a new "smart" 55" TV for less than $500. I don't see too many new TVs that aren't of the "smart" variety, anyway and I don't think it affects the cost too much these days.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:54 AM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

I’ve been a Roku user since 2012 and have 275 channels installed. I currently have 3 Rokus on 3 TVs. I have deleted about 50 channels recently. Some channels have multiple channels within their channel (PlutoTV, tubi, Roku channel, etc). I also use YouTubeTV for my main local network TV app. YouTubeTV and Netflix are the only channels I pay for. All the rest are free. I’m sure FireTV has most of the same channels that I have. One of my sons and stepson have FireTVs. The stepson uses Apple TV as well. I use them when I’m at their houses. For me they all work well.

I briefly had a Google Chromecast but returned it. Two of my TVs are SmartTVs but I still prefer using the Rokus primarily because I’m most familiar and comfortable with how they work.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:30 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I have a Kodi install on the same TV and it works fine, no sound issues. Swapping their HDMI cables did not solve the problem, still hear Kodi but not Roku...............

I use KODI and android apps on my android TV box.
Archman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exchme View Post

Agree with others that the fight with Google over You Tube TV seems pointless, the only difference to the user is new customers have to go to the U-Tube channel and then scroll down to select YTTV instead of YTTV being a separate channel. I can see why Roku can't ban YTTV entirely as there would be a class action lawsuit for the millions of people that bought Rokus to get that service. But just making life difficult for new customers doesn't seem like a good plan.
(Reuters) - YouTube and Roku Inc announced on Wednesday a multi-year pact to end a battle that dragged for months over accusations of anti-competitive conduct and threatened to strip the internet's biggest video streaming service from tens of millions of TV devices.

"Roku and Google have agreed to a multi-year extension for both YouTube and YouTube TV," the companies said on Twitter. "This agreement represents a positive development for our shared customers, making both YouTube and YouTube TV available for all streamers on the Roku platform."

https://www.reuters.com/business/med...al-2021-12-08/

Roku stock is up 15% this morning.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is online now   Reply With Quote
Private Listening is excellent!
Old 12-10-2021, 05:39 PM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

Private Listening is excellent!

It’s my favorite feature of Roku…using the iphone App as the remote, I have the option to stream audio wirelessly to my Bose 700 headphones for superb sound and privacy.
grayparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 03:28 PM   #54

I have a Roku Ultra LT (wired and wireless) that I purchased a few weeks ago, and our kid purchased a Roku stick for us for Christmas. We have two TVs, so now we have two Rokus. Can a Roku device be set up and tested using one TV, then moved to another TV once set up?

I see that we need to create a Roku account in order to activate the devices (yay, another account to add to the 80+ I've created over the years that I can't delete ). When setting up the services to use through the Roku, let's say Amazon prime for starters, are the account credentials stored on the devices or on the Roku account? If you say the latter, I am going to be annoyed like I was with Microsoft trying to force me trick me threaten me ask me to register all of my PC/laptop login information on *their* website.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 03:43 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

You only need one Roku account/login. You activate/deactivate your Roku devices there.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 03:49 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
You only need one Roku account/login. You activate/deactivate your Roku devices there.
That part I get. What I am trying to understand is how TV streaming services are login credentialed. If, for instance, we were to sign up for Sling TV, would the login and password be stored on each individual Roku streaming device, or would the login and password be stored on Roku's own website?
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Does anyone use Roku?
Old 12-26-2021, 03:54 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Does anyone use Roku?

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
That part I get. What I am trying to understand is how TV streaming services are login credentialed. If, for instance, we were to sign up for Sling TV, would the login and password be stored on each individual Roku streaming device, or would the login and password be stored on Roku's own website?

My experience is that I create a different account with each service (but I don’t have many). I don’t think those credentials are stored on the Roku device but you do have to log in at first. That is, I don’t re-login each time to each service through the Roku.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:17 PM   #58

You can move your Roku to the other TV without having to set it all up again.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 04:36 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
You can move your Roku to the other TV without having to set it all up again.

That’s right. It’s especially nice if you’ve tailored your home screen to your liking.

I suppose the streaming services remember some “Roku device ID” for authentication.

Old 12-26-2021, 05:54 PM   #60

Not only can you move it to another TV in your home, you can take it with you on vacation. You would just have to know the password to the internet wherever you are, but other than that your Roku works the same as at home.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote