Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2021, 10:08 PM   #121

To the OP. This news story just came on our local news. Thought you’d be interested. It’s about a guy with dwarfism who had major extension of his limbs and now his son is going through it. Apparently he’s discovered something that makes the recovery more tolerable.

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/...c-466e414dc873
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2021, 03:56 PM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Crazy ? Yes. They break your legs and put rods in.

Older I get the less I care about appearance, what others think, and materialistic crap
(and I never cared much to begin with).
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:58 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most guys want to get taller for one reason only. To score with a woman from what I’ve read.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:02 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
Most guys want to get taller for one reason only. To score with a woman from what I’ve read.
In shape with a flat belly works, too.

I'm only 5'7" but I worked out a lot in my younger years and looked pretty good with my shirt off. I still look good at 59 although my best years are behind me.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:12 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
In shape with a flat belly works, too.

I'm only 5'7" but I worked out a lot in my younger years and looked pretty good with my shirt off. I still look good at 59 although my best years are behind me.
You height is minimum acceptable. You made the cut. Because 5’6” is considered short. Even then you can wear soles in your shoes and they are super comfortable. Yeah, being fit helps.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:19 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m 6’3”
I’ve been this height for nearly 50 years.
It’s not all that.
That being said if it’s been a lifelong desire and you have the means then you should go for it.
Watch your head!
kingkarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:19 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
You height is minimum acceptable. You made the cut. Because 5’6” is considered short. Even then you can wear soles in your shoes and they are super comfortable. Yeah, being fit helps.
Yeah 5'7" is sort of short but it's not so bad. A lot of my friends were athletes, hockey and football so I always felt tiny next to them. I was always manhandled on the ice but was more or less an equal on the ball diamond.

A gal that I worked with is about 5'4", she married a guy 4'11 or so.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:41 PM   #128
Dryer sheet wannabe

This anesthesiologist wouldn't dream of doing such a thing or recommend it to anyone for the purpose of gaining an inch or two of height.

Be grateful for what you have, and avoid the numerous potential life-altering complications.
PoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:43 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoF View Post
This anesthesiologist wouldn't dream of doing such a thing or recommend it to anyone for the purpose of gaining an inch or two of height.

Be grateful for what you have, and avoid the numerous potential life-altering complications.
Why not? Pay is good.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:43 PM   #130

Quote:

Plus one MILLION. The process of breaking long bones & putting in rods is MAJOR surgery with potential life threatening risks (like bleeding, infection, etc.). These techniques have been wonderful advances in Orthopedic care, like for victims of bone tumors or major trauma. But to electively carve up a normal body Strikes me as violating the prime directive of medicine- "First, Do No Harm".
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:33 PM   #131

Quote:

Completely agreed.
Just watch a few episodes of "botched" to see why.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:24 AM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
It’s about a guy with dwarfism who had major extension of his limbs and now his son is going through it.
Personally I would not do it considering the risks, but to each their own. Perhaps a more important reason would be the potential affect on children and grandchildren. Is this really the "solution" that you want to lead them to by example?
Chapter 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Not all women want a tall guy!
Old 12-11-2021, 02:36 PM   #133
Confused about dryer sheets

Not all women want a tall guy!

I am very sympathetic toward shorter men because of societal expectations, but I can tell you with complete certainty that being almost the exact same height as my husband makes me so, so happy. Why? I never have to wait to be kissed. I can look him in the eye. My face doesn't bump against the buttons on his chest. Certain activities are easier. Walking while holding hands doesn't make me look (or feel) like a child because I don't have to reach up. My first husband was a foot taller than me; it was a challenge. I have many reasons to be happier now, and his height is one of them.
Sondari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 05:19 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a sister who finally had to have a leg amputated after a knee surgery gone bad and 2 attempts to fix it. I wouldn't take a chance with cosmetic orthopedic surgery.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:59 AM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

As an individual with a very physical lifestyle, having multiple surgeries over the years because of that lifestyle and now at an older age feeling the effects of that lifestyle and those surgeries.
I do my very best to avoid any kind of surgery!!!! I feel every single one of them!
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:39 AM   #136
Dryer sheet aficionado

I feel for you, OP. You obviously have suffered with your height issue or you would not be considering such an invasive surgery and course of treatment. I have had a few minor “procedures” done and I can say that I have mixed feelings about each of them. I will not undergo any more. I have finally begun to realize that my physical body is healthy and functional. That’s way more than a lot of people have. I have seen (through my career in health care) many many sad stories of injuries and illness that take functionality away. Amputations, broken bones beyond repair, faces permanently disfigured. Not to mention the neuropathies, bed sores, permanent disability and degrading of strength through ALS and Parkinson’s. The dysfunction of bowels, bladders, kidneys, blood vessels, etc…each with the attending problems associated with these disorders. Young people with cancer.
Good health, functioning limbs, energy to face the day and do fun things…these are the blessings of a sound body.
As an exercise, before making a decision, maybe consider seeking out an opportunity to observe disabled folks, people with life shattering injuries. This may give you a new appreciation for what you have. Then if you can’t abide the idea of going through the rest of you life at your height, have the surgery.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:10 PM   #137

OP hasn't checked in for the last six weeks, so probably not worth continuing this thread.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:56 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
OP hasn't checked in for the last six weeks, so probably not worth continuing this thread.
Yep. Apparently has cut us short.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:57 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yep. Apparently has cut us short.
Didn't have a leg to stand on.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:49 PM   #140

I'm 5'8" and if I wear boots w 1 inch heels, I'll be 5'9". If you're obsessed to correct your physical imperfection, go for it.
The only thing I physical corrected was my teeth with a retainer/brace. It was not much of a risk for me. Just be sure to accept the risk of the operation.