Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2022, 03:42 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does the test include successfully getting your leg through your underwear w/o falling?

And I agree about ladders...had uncles on opposite sides of the family who fell off ladders...IIRC, both falls under 10'.

One shattered both wrists...the other both ankles.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2022, 05:28 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A neighbor of mine broke his femur bone falling off the bed of his pickup. He was just trying to take off some cargo. With surgery and some steel reinforcement in his thigh, he said he was OK now, but learned to be more careful. He was only 70.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:01 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I would have thought with your sea legs this would be a snap. Sober or not...

We had a business on a pontoon boat docked in a marina, When we first started, I was fine while on the boat, but when I got off, the world was swaying. It took a couple weeks and then I was fine either way.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:06 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
We had a business on a pontoon boat docked in a marina, When we first started, I was fine while on the boat, but when I got off, the world was swaying. It took a couple weeks and then I was fine either way.
I felt that way getting off a 7-day cruise. Very unsettling for a couple of days.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
I'm good at 56.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:51 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm good at 56.

But my 77YO father has had mobility issues for several years; he can't even stand long w/o his walker on 2 legs!
Yet that tough cookie keeps on plugging!
Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Yeah I used to
Old 07-01-2022, 11:52 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah I used to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I felt that way getting off a 7-day cruise. Very unsettling for a couple of days.
First several cruises I remember this sensation.
Now after 17 cruises in 18 years it no longer happens.
Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:11 PM   #67

I'm 58 and technically in the "obese" category but have no trouble balancing on either foot, eyes open or closed. Then again I've always had good balance, am comfortable climbing ladders, walking on the roof, etc.

My wife is 53 and never had good balance. She could do 10 seconds but it was obviously more of a struggle. Lots of wobbling and reaching for things to stay upright.

A few weeks ago my brother-in-law fell off a ladder and broke a few ribs. He's a couple years older than me and a few inches taller with a bigger build. I don't know the specifics of how he fell or what he was doing, but somehow I don't think he has great balance either.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:52 PM   #68

I stand on one leg and pull the other heel up to my butt as part of my stretching routine, and can stand that way as long as I want. With eyes closed, I can do only 7 or 8 seconds. Might start working on that.

My mom is 93 and has always had poor balance. She's fallen a number of times over the years, including when she was much younger, and needed her forehead and scalp stitched up a few times. Her doctor has told her several times to start using a walker, but she won't. A couple doctors over the years have suggested she try some tai chi classes, but that's also a nope. At least she keeps up on her walking, inside in the hallways of the retirement place, where she can keep her hand on the rail on the wall.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:54 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

I am doing a lot of OLS out of necessity after knee surgery. I even cut my hair standing one leg a few days ago. (I hope it grows out soon!)
JohnRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:44 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenant13 View Post
https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2...ts-2021-105360

This is a very long article from the British Journal of Sports Medicine so if you just want to do the test, scroll down to the pic and read around it about the correct posture, then try to stand on one leg for 10 sec or longer.

Their conclusion: Our study indicates that the inability to complete a 10-s OLS in middle-aged and older participants is related to a higher risk of all-cause mortality and, consequently, to a shorter life expectancy.

Exercising the balance was always in my basic routine so this does not come as a great surprise.

I don't see the pic.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:35 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRM View Post
I am doing a lot of OLS out of necessity after knee surgery. I even cut my hair standing one leg a few days ago. (I hope it grows out soon!)

Don't be so fast about that! My wife has cut my hair for over 30 years, this is a frugal thing on her part. But she does a nice job and I have never had a bad hair cut, so great. A while back I grew a beard and mustache, she doesn't like it. I said I need set a time for you to cut my hair, she came back with an attitude about cutting of my beard when she cuts my hair. So I went to a barber shop for the first time in over thirty years, I must say I enjoyed it, all young women barbers, treated me well, massaged my scalp, blow dry my hair. Very enjoyable. OH, I'm off topic, after my hair cut it was great for a week or two but the front was not cut enough, now it's down in my eyes and bugging the heck out of me. Tough decision on who to go to now. i.e. mine grew out to soon!
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:14 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleana View Post
I don't see the pic.
Me neither.
There also may be a paywall involved here.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:13 AM   #73

I timed myself when I first heard of it. I got bored after 45 seconds and could have gone longer.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:40 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnontrad View Post
I timed myself when I first heard of it. I got bored after 45 seconds and could have gone longer.
Try it with your eyes closed.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:47 AM   #75

Didn't last two seconds with my eyes closed. Tried it several times.

With my eyes open I'm still pretty wobbly, but managed to make it 20 or 30 seconds each time. I've had balance issues for years.

Speaking of ladders, just yesterday I was thinking how stupid I was climbing a ladder to trim a tree (above a sidewalk).
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:42 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Yes, but can you do it WITHOUT the bourbon?
It's the 4th shot that makes it hard for me
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:25 AM   #77

Poppycock!!!
Old 07-03-2022, 06:34 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Wearing shoes or being barefoot might make a big difference too. I haven't tried it in shoes yet.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:27 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Wow! Closing the eyes makes it very difficult for me. Otherwise the exercise is trivial. I'm surprised.

I've heard that some drunk driving tests are sketchy and a defense lawyer can blow holes in them (eyes closed, head tilted, finger to nose test). Good departments know this and don't use them.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:29 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Wow! Closing the eyes makes it very difficult for me. Otherwise the exercise is trivial. I'm surprised.

I've heard that some drunk driving tests are sketchy and a defense lawyer can blow holes in them (eyes closed, head tilted, finger to nose test). Good departments know this and don't use them.
Yeah, I'm sure I couldn't pass a a field sobriety test and I'm always sober. I love that scene in "The Man With Two Brains" (Steve Martin)

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote