Double spacing between paragraphs in posts? New?

ERD50

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Maybe it's on my end, but the past few days, every time I post, I see that there is a double line spacing between paragraphs. If I go back and edit, I can remove them and that 'sticks'.

I'm running Firefox, have not noticed this on other forums.

This paragraph and the above, I hit 'return' at the end of the line, and then another return to get a space between paragraphs, like I've always done.

another one.

and another one. (will post, then edit the last two - done). As I'm typing, all these have a single line space between paragraphs.

-ERD50

I've noticed it too, also in Firefox. One possible caveat with me is that I'm away from home at the moment and not using my regular desktop system, I'm on a laptop, I'll check again tomorrow when we get back home.

This is a reply from Chrome using the Post Quick Reply button, not the Advanced editor.

I left one blank line before this one.
Third line. No blank lines between this one and the one before.

edit: seems to be fine in Chrome

Last edited:
Maybe it's on my end, but the past few days, every time I post, I see that there is a double line spacing between paragraphs. If I go back and edit, I can remove them and that 'sticks'.

I'm running Firefox, have not noticed this on other forums.

This paragraph and the above, I hit 'return' at the end of the line, and then another return to get a space between paragraphs, like I've always done.

another one.

and another one. (will post, then edit the last two - done). As I'm typing, all these have a single line space between paragraphs.

-ERD50

I posted a few items today and noticed this double-line spacing, too. I removed the extra lines when I edited.

I'm on my regular laptop and Firefox.

omni

This is a reply from Chrome using the Post Quick Reply button, not the Advanced editor.

I left one blank line before this one.
Third line. No blank lines between this one and the one before.

edit: seems to be fine in Chrome

+1 fine in chrome

I've had this problem (IE) for a couple of years. It happens often but not always. I just hit preview before I post anything and delete any double spaces. No big deal because I always proofread my posts for grammar and typos as well as bad attitude. But it would be nice to be able to figure out why it happens.

I've had this problem (IE) for a couple of years. It happens often but not always. I just hit preview before I post anything and delete any double spaces. No big deal because I always proofread my posts for grammar and typos as well as bad attitude. But it would be nice to be able to figure out why it happens.

Interesting, seems to be maybe some interaction between recent Firefox updates and this site. I need to double check some other sites, I may have posted there from my tablet/Chrome rather than this computer (Xubuntu/Linux) and Firefox.

I can't seem to fix it in preview, I actually need to post and edit.

-ERD50

test r r

test r r

------
-ERD50 now preview... ok, maybe I can fix it in preview, it's confusing, not sure what I'm seeing!

I'm posting this using Microsoft Edge.

So far, so good! Guess it doesn't happen using Edge.

I'm posting this using Microsoft Internet Explorer.

So far, so good! Guess it doesn't happen using MSIE.

I'm posting this using Microsoft Internet Explorer.

So far, so good! Guess it doesn't happen using MSIE.

To you. I use IE and it happens often. There's some hidden attribute or something. No idea what though.

Harley, I don’t know what to tell you!

I’m posting this using Safari on my iPad.

So far, so good! Guess it doesn’t happen using Safari.

OK, I’m outta operating systems.

Last edited:
Using chrome.

On Win 10.

On an Asus.

Just 1 space.

Can this be a sticky?

One blank line

Two blank line

for FireFox users, an "Enter" is considered the start of a "new paragraph". e.g. "a double-line".

You can usually avoid this by using "shift enter" instead of just using the enter key.

For a more "permanent fix" (in FireFox), Go to Tools > Options > Composition > General tab. Here you need to uncheck where it says "When using paragraph format, the enter key creates a new paragraph.". Voila - problem solved right?

I've had double spacing after quoting articles and had to edit out the spaces. Regular posts seem fine.

for FireFox users, an "Enter" is considered the start of a "new paragraph". e.g. "a double-line".

You can usually avoid this by using "shift enter" instead of just using the enter key.

For a more "permanent fix" (in FireFox), Go to Tools > Options > Composition > General tab. Here you need to uncheck where it says "When using paragraph format, the enter key creates a new paragraph.". Voila - problem solved right?

Sounds good, but I could not find this menu in Firefox ( 60.0 Firefox Release May 9, 2018 ). When I search, I only see references to that in Thunderbird (mozilla email). That date probably matches to when I saw the issue, so likely related to this new Firefox release.

-ERD50

Yeah, in this continually updating world of ours, they change or reset settings and screw things up. I wish there was some way for things to be left alone. I have a problem on my iPhone that many people share that happened after an update and no one can fix it. More frustrating is that it doesn’t happen on my iPad. Hopefully the settings fix will work.

In my version of Firefox (60.0) there's no "Composition" selection in Tools > Options > General tab. :confused:

omni

In my version of Firefox (60.0) there's no "Composition" selection in Tools > Options > General tab. :confused:

omni

I haven't found it either (same version FF).

I checked, not having this 'issue' on a different forum. So I guess it is an interaction between this site and the FF update.

Well, at least I found that I can fix i in 'preview', so it's not so bad, just a little inconvenience. But since it doesn't show up on other browsers, the Mozilla/FF group is the one that is going to have to handle this.

Though in reality, this could possibly even be one of those cases where FF is doing it 'correctly' (or at least interpreting a spec in one way, 'correctly' may be debatable) and some sites interpret that spec differently (or maybe even incorrectly). But it generally falls to 'majority rules' in those cases, so the onus will be on Mozilla/FF.

-ERD50

I'll give this a try with FireFox 59.0.3, then update it, and try again.

Para 1

Para 2

Para 3

EDIT: That worked OK, I put in one blank line, got one blank line.

Updated to FireFox 60.0.1

Para 1.

Para 2.

Para 3.

EDIT: Yup. Put in ONE blank line, which became TWO after submitting to the website. So it is something in the FireFox 60.0.1 load, or its interaction with E-R.org.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom