1 Spouse is 62 on ACA, the other is 65 on Medicare - better to file Taxes separately?

cyber888

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When I turn 62, my DW will be eligible for Medicare. I'm trying to minimize ACA cost. Did anyone do a separate Tax filing to get max subsidy for ACA ?

You are getting the max for an individual according to your income. Actually you get a little bonus bump for having 2 people live in your household.

It's just that max isn't the max you are used to or not as cheap.. the good news is this will help adjust to what's going to happen when you both go on Medicare.. a lot of people find the switch to Medicare costs lots more money!

The Form 8962 instructions for those Married filing separately are worth noting.

Right, you cannot get a subsidy if you file "married filing separately." There is no reason to file separately and it will not help you as all household income must be included no matter how many people are actually on ACA marketplace insurance.

Right, you cannot get a subsidy if you file "married filing separately." There is no reason to file separately and it will not help you as all household income must be included no matter how many people are actually on ACA marketplace insurance.

Yes and no.
All household income income does not have to be included, if one is not married to the other person in the household.

Yes and no.
All household income income does not have to be included, if one is not married to the other person in the household.

Oh, right. Good point! But in the OP's case, filing taxes separately will not help with ACA subsidies. Rather, it will disqualify them completely from subsidies.

Oh, right. Good point! But in the OP's case, filing taxes separately will not help with ACA subsidies. Rather, it will disqualify them completely from subsidies.

True.

Back
Top Bottom