1099R form when both Roth Rollover and regular distribution occurred

fiyesno

Confused about dryer sheets
I turned 59 1/2 in 2023, and I did a roth rollover (from my IRA) before I turned 59 1/2, and I did a regular distribution from the same IRA after I turned 59 1/2. The Roth Rollover was $22,000 and the regular distribution was $5,000.

I got 1 1099R that says the total, $27,000, and it says distribution code 7 (normal distribution). Turbotax does not seem to have a way to treat them separately. My question is do I need to treat them separately? At first I thought so but then I realized that they both go towards ordinary income, so it does not really matter, which I guess is why they are handled together.

Is that correct, or do I need to handle the Roth rollover and distribution differently?

Have you tried going further in the interview process for that 1099? It's possible they ask you about the Roth conversion part.

Your broker screwed up. They should have issued two separate 1099-Rs. One would be for the withdrawal before age 59.5 and it should have a code 1 if they didn't know you were rolling it over/converting it, or code 2 if they did know.

The code 7 should only be used for the withdrawal after you were over 59.5.

After you enter the 1099-R, Turbotax should ask you what you did with these funds. Pick the option for a rollover/conversion and at some point it will ask how much was rolled over. You need to do this because you have to file form 8606 for a Roth conversion, and that's how you get TTax to create one for you.

Thank you very much, I will give that a try. I most did this small distribution because I wanted to see how the process works. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom