12 month CD rates

PenFed also offering 1.1% CD rates this month.

I think in Jan a year ago the offer was 0.75% for 1 year CDs at PenFed.

Last edited:
Getting nearly 1% with an online savings account makes the 1-year CDs seem not worth the hassle. Thanks for the thought, though!

Getting nearly 1% with an online savings account makes the 1-year CDs seem not worth the hassle. Thanks for the thought, though!

It's for a block of money I won't need for 12 months exactly. So I'll take the 1.1% since I already have PenFed account and ACH transfers in place.

My online savings account is currently paying 0.85%, but I'm not willing to open another online savings and deal with yet another financial institution to bump that up to 0.9% or 0.95% at this moment. I'll be keeping my eye on things though.

GE Capital is at 1.05% for savings and 1.1 for 12-month CD. I don't know why anyone would go the 12 month.

GE Capital is at 1.05% for savings and 1.1 for 12-month CD. I don't know why anyone would go the 12 month.

Because you are setting aside the money for one year?

But yeah, if you already have a savings account at GE capital, why bother with the CD.

That's interesting that GE Capital is offering a better savings rate than Sychrony which is their spinoff. I thought Synchrony would be more aggressive about attracting new money. Their savings rate is 1.00%

Last edited:
Barclays offers a 2.25% five year CD with a six month early withdrawal penalty. So if you withdraw after a year, you would earn 1.125%, and if for whatever reason you change your mind and don't need the cash, you will have earned double the rate for the year.

OK, not that great compared to the other one year rates I guess, but maybe a decent option for people who aren't sure they need the cash after one year?

Many of the on line savings accounts like GE Capital specify:

• Rate is variable and may change after the Account is opened.

If one thought interest rates would take another plunge within a few months one might wish to lock in that massive 1.1% rate. 😳

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Many of the on line savings accounts like GE Capital specify:

• Rate is variable and may change after the Account is opened.

Good point!

Although I tend to believe that next year the trend will be up - gradually.

Barclays offers a 2.25% five year CD with a six month early withdrawal penalty. So if you withdraw after a year, you would earn 1.125%, and if for whatever reason you change your mind and don't need the cash, you will have earned double the rate for the year.

OK, not that great compared to the other one year rates I guess, but maybe a decent option for people who aren't sure they need the cash after one year?

That's a good suggestion. If I thought it likely the cash would stay there longer I'd be very tempted.

Back
Top Bottom