2 months into retirement

I AM A RETIREMENT SUCSESSS!!!!!!

I must be... retired twice as long as Tom Brady and no where near the money he has...
Lol!!
I like that.

3 Months down, the rest of my life to go.....

Have a good friend that has been harassing me about retiring.. He drove 3 hrs to surprise me at my retirement party..
Any way he called me the other morning to tell me he had sent in his paperwork, be done in June...

Last edited:

Have a good friend that has been harassing me about retiring.. He drove 3 hrs to surprise me at my retirement party..
Any way he called me the other morning to tell me he had sent in his paperwork, be done in June...

That made me chuckle! I remember a friend of mine called me to catch up on life not to long after I retired. I had told him I retired, and he just about went through the roof in misbelief. Not sure why he was so up in the air about it but with in the next 6 months he had retired. Lol

We talk about every 6 months or so and he was more upset he worked as long as he did. He is a couple of years older than I am.

That's great news for your friend! I have a friend from HS that is about 2 year out from pulling the plug. I love talking to him, because his excitement reminds me of the time prior to me retiring.

Its been fun going back and forth with him the past year about it. He's got about 4 years on me.
On another note... talk about a small weird world.... As a young teen, I had a massive crush on a girl from square dancing, she was several years older than I...
After I moved away, she married and they bought our house from my parents... Just happened across her on facebook last year, and it blew my mind to find out that her and I retired the same exact day...

Im only in month 2 and so far enjoying it, though the adjustment is real!

Im curious how you and others worked out the social portion of your life in RE? I know a few retirees but they all live out of state. For now I’m making the rounds to connect and getting in some travel fun. But most of my good friends are still working locally. I’m not super social but I do enjoy having friends and now that socializing at work is gone I can see a gap down the road.

I am just completing month 2 next week and loving loving loving it so far.

For the social portion - it hasn't changed much for me and nor do I want it to. I have some friends that are older and retired. I have some friends my age or a little younger that still work. SO still works so that still pushes much of our socializing to weekends anyway. I am fine with that - I like doing things solo and will occupy myself or go for a hike or something during the week.

I suppose when SO retires we might view things differently but that's a few years away.

Speaking of travel for retirement of a friend: A friend of mine got a surprise party for his retirement (at the bank branch where he was manager.) His wife set it up and let all his friends know. Of course, it was in my old home town and when I got the notice, I was in Honolulu. Fortunately, I had already planned to travel "home" just before the party. SO, I told my friend I had come just for his party. I think it took a few seconds for him to realize I was pulling his leg.

Now here is the sad part. No way did he want to retire. His bank "retired" him. I never got the whole story, but I'm guessing he could have won an age discrimination suit. BUT that would have been years and lots of mental anguish and not worth the bother. Now the good news. He LOVES retirement and wouldn't have it any other way. I guess I think of him as being a "reluctant FIREee." YMMV

Paddling, Working Out, Running/walking/bike (leisurely walk on non-running days), practicing/guitar lessons (been slacking on that), enjoying coffee/tea each morning rather than rush the caffeine shot, planning/taking day-trips and longer trips, Euchre club, reading, catching live music a few times a week. I'm also starting to give bike history tours for a friend's business but so far that is ramping up slowly. Sweet spot for me would average twice a week (takes up about 9:30-2:00 of my day but a lot of fun and I'm happy getting paid to do something I'd almost do for free. They are scheduled 3 days a week but not all days are booked and I can refuse tours if I have other plans. The tours fit well as late morning and early afternoon are usually unstructured free time for me after my morning routine of coffee/working out and before afternoon activities start.

Started dating another retiree so that's taking up even more time and messed up my routine a bit as we spend more time together. I'm feeling guilty not practicing guitar as much as I'd like and I've had to renew my last library book 2x as I've been so busy.

How did you meet the other early retiree? That's amazing!

How did you meet the other early retiree? That's amazing!

:LOL: I never said she was early!* Anyway, we are just friends now but still have common interests and plan to continue doing them together even though the dating part has run its course. I met her paddling initially but we were in a few other group oriented activities as well.

* Just because I think it's somewhat interesting; I've dated an age range of 26 years from youngest to oldest despite having had a relatively few number of partners compared to most. Being ER puts me in contact with more older women due to free time availability so the future might skew that way...

Last edited:
I am 3 weeks into retirement and enjoying it. I still have children in school so I still know what day it is. I love doing errands during the week when the stores are empty. Looking forward to warm weather to play golf and tennis. I schedule a few small tasks for each day and an major task for each week to keep myself from binging TV shows all day.

I am 3 weeks into retirement and enjoying it. I still have children in school so I still know what day it is.

I had two kids still at home when I retired. One of them actually asked me how we (as a family) would survive if I were not w*rking. Cute!

Its like groundhog day every day. But now I like Mondays.

Love that movie... But been watching the Emergency 51 series set I got for retirement, 1 or 2 each morning.
I spend most of my time working on the house, got a long ways to go.

Welcome back to your thread old medic, they have been keeping it warm for you.
How goes the work? When are you taking the RV out west?

Welcome back to your thread old medic, they have been keeping it warm for you.
How goes the work? When are you taking the RV out west?

Got a few years till the wife joins the everyday is Saturday club, but have a 3 week trip to NY this summer planned.

Its going slow, but basically pay as we go, 0% interest on bigger purchases. Jumped on buying Vinyl siding put us $3K in the hole for 6 months, but the sections done looking great. I guess I'll update an old thread on the house.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/building-our-house-on-credit-cards-105022.html

Just got back from another Camping trip... It was funny to discover that on the 16th... it was 8 months since my last day at work... and 36 years MARRIED....
We got to stop taking off... getting nothing done on the house... 46 days away so far, and got 28 more days planned.

Last edited:
Retirement makes vacations better too. No thinking about being back in the office on Monday and if a day gets rained out you just stay a day longer.

Heh, heh, and since you posted this, we can add: Retired folks have time to deal with the screwed up airlines! No need to be back to w*rk - why not just sit around the airport for an extra day or two.:facepalm::LOL:

Just hit 17 months Retired.. I feel like I have my life back after I fired in 2021. Moved from PA to NC., biked across Georgia in June, Spending time with friends and Family on Lake Norman that came to visit us. Doing a Epic hike in October... Hiking to Mount Everest Base Camp with my DW and 2 friends. Life is Great.. I wish I found out about FIRE early in life. Time>Money

Just hit 17 months Retired.. I feel like I have my life back after I fired in 2021. Moved from PA to NC., biked across Georgia in June, Spending time with friends and Family on Lake Norman that came to visit us. Doing a Epic hike in October... Hiking to Mount Everest Base Camp with my DW and 2 friends. Life is Great.. I wish I found out about FIRE early in life. Time>Money

It sounds like you have hit your FIRE stride very quickly. Congrats. Keep us posted.

That sounds like a very good start!

I am quite happy that I retired when I did. During the COVID lockdown, I took on a couple of paid projects [-]to help pass the time[/-] because I was stupid. [-][/-] I honestly don't know how I could take on any real employment because I have gotten very used to the freedom I enjoy each day. Also, it seems like *something* comes up around here every other day that would be a pain to deal with if I was w*rking.

Back
Top Bottom