2009 Contribution Limits

kyounge1956

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If I read this link correctly, the contribution limit on my 457 plan for next year is $16,500. So far I haven't found the maximum over-50 catchup contribution, or either of the Roth limits. Has anyone seen or heard anything about them?

Roth contribution limitations are supposed to be $5500 or $6500 catchup (50 or over) in '09.

... according to this site, and this site, anyway.

-CC

Roth contribution limitations are supposed to be $5500 or $6500 catchup (50 or over) in '09.

... according to this site, and this site, anyway.

-CC

The Roth contributions limits for 2009 are unchanged, and remain at $5,000 and $6,000. The first site you linked is just plain wrong. As far as the second site you linked, that is the Wikipedia page on Roth IRAs, and it does not say that the limit in 2009 is $5,500. It says "Starting in 2009, contribution limits will increase in $500 increments based on inflation." You missed the "based on inflation" part.

This was posted recently over at the Bogleheads forum:

Bogleheads :: View topic - 2009 Contribution Limits Announced Yet?

I haven't read the underlying IRS document yet, but it's linked in the thread.

Short answer appears to be: $22000 total ($16500 base and $5500 catch-up for those 50 and over)

No idea about the Roths.

The link isn't working for me. I keep getting "server not responding" messages. Do you recall anything of the name of the document I could use to search for it on irs.gov?

The Roth contributions limits for 2009 are unchanged, and remain at $5,000 and $6,000. The first site you linked is just plain wrong. As far as the second site you linked, that is the Wikipedia page on Roth IRAs, and it does not say that the limit in 2009 is $5,500. It says "Starting in 2009, contribution limits will increase in $500 increments based on inflation." You missed the "based on inflation" part.

So 2009 Roth limits haven't been decided yet or there wasn't any inflation?

Hrm, amazing how much bad info. is out there. Sorry for the bad links and/or misinterpretation.

-CC

Hrm, amazing how much bad info. is out there. Sorry for the bad links and/or misinterpretation.

-CC
Well, until I find it on the IRS site I won't feel 100% sure. Meanwhile all sources are at least a little suspect. :)

Back
Top Bottom