2019 Fed tax return

golfnut

Full time employment: Posting here.
As in years past, I did our son's taxes and mailed them in the first week of April. When I go to the IRS'S "where iis my refund", the response is basically they don't recognize even receiving the paperwork. I realize there has been delays due to the virus but when should I start pursuing this further?

Anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks

As in years past, I did our son's taxes and mailed them in the first week of April. When I go to the IRS'S "where iis my refund", the response is basically they don't recognize even receiving the paperwork. I realize there has been delays due to the virus but when should I start pursuing this further?

Thanks

I claim no special knowledge but my guess is that with the filing/payment deadline pushed back until July 15 the mass of returns will make even trying to get help an exercise in frustration. (I filed with paper for various reasons so am just assuming they will get to it sometime before the end of the statute of limitations in three years!). As long as you have a proof of filing (registered mail or computer receipt) it is fine. Maybe start chasing the refund in August once things have had more of a chance to settle.

Thanks for the response and I take it you have yet to receive your refund. If I may ask, when did you mail in your tax return?

just talked to my accountant and people are pizzed because they haven't even been cashing checks from people who owed taxes. Going to mail my taxes in July 15 and hope they don't cash till XMAS ;-)

Filed by paper in March but it had not been processed by May when the stimulus payments were happening. I had to use 2018 tax info and old address to get that setup even though they had cashed my tax payment check the same week they received the tax return (in March). No telling how long it might take for paper returns. I always file by paper but also always try to owe a few dollars.

I don't think the workers are opening any mailed in taxes.

I use TaxCut software (download) on my windows machine, they allow 5 e-files of Federal returns for free.

I gave up paper returns long ago, as soon as I could

Yup. Federal paper returns with refunds have been held up this year for several months due to the virus. My son filed on paper in late February and they have received it but have no ETA on his refund.

Fortunately we can wait for the money but it is annoying. I feel worse for those people who really need their refunds in order to make their personal finances work.

I don't know how long to wait before bugging them, though. I'd probably say that there will probably be news stories about them opening back up and starting to process returns again. In theory you could call, but I think you would just get generalities and "we don't know yet" kind of answers now.

(Yes, most people can adjust their withholding, but there are some situations where refunds can't be avoided. In my son's case, he owed $0 in income tax but is due $1000 for the American Opportunity Tax Credit.)

Thanks

hopefully you sent them certified/return receipt requested.

Unfortunately, I did not.

From another Dupager

ouch. well, you must have a copy of the sent return, forms, etc. how about making another copy and re-filing? but if you do be sure to include a cover letter indicating why you are re-filing so you are not refunded twice or penalized for not paying. and send it certified/return receipt. electronic re-filing may not allow cover notes.

or continue to wait. but how long is long enough?

good luck.

From the irs website Corona notice: “The IRS urges taxpayers who are due a refund to file as soon as possible. Most tax refunds are still being issued within 21 days.” So it sounds like you’re out of that window already - the question is what to do about it in a time of confusion and backlogs

I mailed a paper return at the end of Feb, sent certified. The USPS tracking shows that it was received on Feb. 26, but when I check the "Where is My Refund" site it has no record of it. At some point I guess I'll either have to call (which I dread) or re-file. It seems to me that they should at least be showing it as received by now, and I have no way of knowing if there is a real problem.

IRS recommends you not e-file if you filed paper. The paper returns are just backed up. There are 10m pieces of unopened mail at end of May according to published reports.

I saw that my processing center, Kansas City, reopened this week. Perhaps a glimmer...

I mailed in the estimated tax payments for this year and there doesn't seem to be a problem with them taking my money.

From the irs website Corona notice: “The IRS urges taxpayers who are due a refund to file as soon as possible. Most tax refunds are still being issued within 21 days.” So it sounds like you’re out of that window already - the question is what to do about it in a time of confusion and backlogs

Guess they haven't even had time to update their website. lots of verified stories about how people's returns and letters to the IRS are sitting around unopened in trailer sized containers..

IRS recommends you not e-file if you filed paper.

My brother the retired hotshot tax accountant said to do it anyway. So I did.
Filed on paper early March e-filed 5/19. Still "being processed".

My brother the retired hotshot tax accountant said to do it anyway. So I did.
Filed on paper early March e-filed 5/19. Still "being processed".

Yeah, I considered doing that too. So far I'm still just being patient. Kind of.

I'm the original OP. Thanks to all who responded here. Guess I got no choice but to be patient.

I'm the original OP. Thanks to all who responded here. Guess I got no choice but to be patient.

You could always call the IRS and ask what they recommend. Call as soon as the customer service lines open regardless of your time zone for the shortest wait time.

Yup. Federal paper returns with refunds have been held up this year for several months due to the virus. My son filed on paper in late February and they have received it but have no ETA on his refund.

Fortunately we can wait for the money but it is annoying. I feel worse for those people who really need their refunds in order to make their personal finances work.

I don't know how long to wait before bugging them, though. I'd probably say that there will probably be news stories about them opening back up and starting to process returns again. In theory you could call, but I think you would just get generalities and "we don't know yet" kind of answers now.

(Yes, most people can adjust their withholding, but there are some situations where refunds can't be avoided. In my son's case, he owed $0 in income tax but is due $1000 for the American Opportunity Tax Credit.)

FYI, my son received his federal tax refund in the past day or two.

My income fluctuates because of capital gains distributions from mutual funds. Most are made in December. You get estimates (% ranges) before that but of course that's of limited use other than a gauge of whether you might owe or get a refund. Then the brokerages take till early March to get all the info available to download. If you work off the year-end statements and something is off from what the brokerage reports to the IRS by $5, you'll hear from them, so I wait.:mad:

I'm kicking myself for not applying the refund to my 2020 taxes but who knew we'd have a mess like this?

Back
Top Bottom