2020 AGI & e-filing

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm once again using H&R Block software to file our return. I wasn't able to e-file last year because IRS rejected it, saying our AGI didn't match their records. I surrendered and snail mailed it and waited 5 months for our refund.

Just to be safe, this year I pulled my 2020 Transcript from the IRS website, and see that the AGI they have recorded is the same as the return I filed.

I tried to efile this morning, and it was rejected because our AGI doesn't match theirs. :facepalm: Um, yes it does, it matches what you have on the transcript and what I filed.

Anyone else ever encounter this? I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a paperclip than try to call the IRS. I may try to call H&R Block early tomorrow, but suspect they'll be clueless.

TIA

I believe I've read postings that the IRS says to enter zero for last year's AGI when this happens. I'm not sure how you do that when you use software. Perhaps you manually change it somehow. But you might Google this and see what you can find.

Try entering $0 for last year's AGI and resubmitting. Sometimes that lets you get past this problem where the IRS records seem to be disconnected from each other. Block won't be able to tell you want's wrong. All they get back from the IRS is the same reject message you can see.

If the $0 entry doesn't work and you don't want to wait for the mail in process, you can print out the forms from Block and manually enter the same numbers in the IRS Free Fillable Forms. https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/free-file-fillable-forms

I believe I've read postings that the IRS says to enter zero for last year's AGI when this happens. I'm not sure how you do that when you use software. Perhaps you manually change it somehow. But you might Google this and see what you can find.

I tried that, and it rejected again. I found quite a few similar complaints on Google, and the ZERO trick was mentioned. So far, nothing has worked and it appears I may have to paper file again. Ugh....

And by the way, there's an OVERRIDE feature for changing the AGI. There's a link right next to the field to accomplish this task.

My 2020 was processed, I have a transcript showing the AGI, and they won't accept the reported AGI, nor zero.

Well, if you do use snail mail, I highly recommend paying for some type of tracking. Due to bank error on a 1099 last year I had to paper file and for some stupid reason I did not use any tracking…hey, I saved at least $5. Eight months later IRS says no record of 1040 being filed. Refund appeared magically 3 weeks later.

Well, if you do use snail mail, I highly recommend paying for some type of tracking....
I don't snail mail federal any more, but do snail mail the state.

My approach is to use tracking if they owe me money, but by depositing the check (which they typically do very quickly), that's proof enough for me.

Same problem and I use TT. Pulled my transcript for last year. Entered the number from the transcript -- did not work. Called IRS, they didn't have a clue -- suggested I mail the return in.

It's in the mail, a small refund.

Sometimes efile is not an option.

Anyone have experience with IRS Direct Pay? I’d like to know if I can file now and pay later by authorizing a debit from a checking or savings account before the deadline.

I tried that, and it rejected again. I found quite a few similar complaints on Google, and the ZERO trick was mentioned. So far, nothing has worked and it appears I may have to paper file again. Ugh....

And by the way, there's an OVERRIDE feature for changing the AGI. There's a link right next to the field to accomplish this task.

Any chance it's because you are putting in a different format like including .00 for the cents when they don't ?

Or maybe the comma shouldn't be in your entry ?

Or the opposite, that it should include .00 even though they don't have it in the transcript version. ?

Anyone have experience with IRS Direct Pay? I’d like to know if I can file now and pay later by authorizing a debit from a checking or savings account before the deadline.

Yes you can. I use EFTPS but Direct Pay will work as well.

Yes. I have done just that.
Signed up for IRSP direct pay and they are quite efficient at deducting $. :)

Back
Top Bottom