25 y/o fired up for eventual FIRE

enderland

Dryer sheet wannabe
Fired up for FIRE? Too lame? :facepalm: Anyways, hello.

I've had a journey of becoming more financially aware. Finishing up an engineering masters and realizing all salary increase was disposable made me realize how important managing finances is and would be.

Started the journey with Financial Peace University. Moved to the Bogleheads forum where I learned a ton about investing. My journey is now coming here.

I want to be FI. Right now, I have quite a few months living expenses on hand (emergency fund + house downpayment savings). This lets me enjoy my current job a lot. Because I don't need it short-term. I'm not FI by any means but for a year or so I am :) This sense of freedom is unbelievably awesome even as a 25 year old, can't imagine what it's like to actually be FIRE :)

No target date or anything. Currently my net worth increases by well over 2x my expenses each month from all my savings vehicles (HSA, 401k, Roth IRA, cash house savings). Might change if I meet a girl? My recent dream has been buying and outfitting a van to live in to help escape American consumerism. These are probably incompatible, hah.

Thanks for the forum, looking forward to being around :cool:

Congrats on the early start! I realized with my first job out of college that I wanted to retire early, so you're not the only one.

And don't lose hope on the girl situation - DH and I have saved a ton by being on the same page financially. I've said it before - look at the science/engineering chicks. You're less likely to get someone "girly", but she's therefore less likely to be high-maintenance. :D

+1

I started planning/saving for ER day 1 of my first job out of college with an Engineering degree. . And Married a science chick. Very low maintenance and we both aggressively saved AND lived pretty well in the meantime.

I also remember banking all my raises and ALWAYS maxing out any 401k or other vehicles available. As people on this forum point out LBYM is key.

Congratulations on great start! Nice to hear someone optimistic about their future as well. Yes, a girl can change everything, but be strong haha. I do know someone who got married, and she raided his 401k for her dream home.

I guess the "one or the other" was more referring to the living in a van dream and getting married ;)

But it's good to know there's still hope :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom