51 would like to retire now...

Six weeks is not a long time. Stay the course and chill out.

Would a glass of wine help?

DW was just put on duloxitin, pharmacist(chemist) told me it could take 8 weeks to take effect. Plus you gotta be in lots of pain and anxiety.

Hang in there, it does get better.

MRG

If you have not already gone this route, you might want to consider trying natural treatments for your fatigue, pain, hypermobility and fibromyalgia - things like yoga, accupressure balls, magnesium rich paleo leaning diet, ergonomic work station, chemical free house and posture training. There isn't a lot of downside risk and most of those things are healthy, low cost life improvements anyway.

I had almost all the same symptoms at one time and couldn't work, but now I'm out of pain and able to work, hike, bike, dance, etc.

I have just found out I have been assessed as higher tier ill health. This is a huge relief. Surgery will probably be December although I have booked a cruise for mid January... Duloxetine stopped my bladder working but luckily gabapentin has been fantastic for me although I do need maximum dose. I have been having reflexology which works well for me. My finish date at work is 31/12 so unsure if I'm class of 2013 or 14. My replacement commenced at the beginning of October as I am entitled to three months sick so I am just working 1-3 clinical sessions and doing paper / computer work to wind things up.

My last official day at work was yesterday. I'm feeling very strange indeed, I'm really on sick leave until the 31st December, not retired yet. My operation date is Tuesday 3rd December. My pension figures have not come through so feeling a bit anxious. I had to decide on whether I had the minimum lump sum or a bit more without knowing any numbers. I have elected to get an additional £96,000 by giving up £8,000 per year. Its tax free but as I'm only 51 I generally would be better with maximum pension... never mind.

I wish you good luck with the surgery and your pensions numbers. Keep us posted!

I wish you good luck with the surgery and your pensions numbers. Keep us posted!

Thanks, surgery went well (I am no worse) and my pension letter arrived on 23rd December - great Christmas present!
My yearly pension is ok even with the £8000 removed so £96000 extra lump sum to play with. I'm wondering about paying the rental houses mortgages down before interest rates go up. This would reduce expenses. I'm rather anxious about investing as I'm convinced if I invest then I will be the cause of a bear market..

Thanks, surgery went well (I am no worse) and my pension letter arrived on 23rd December - great Christmas present!
My yearly pension is ok even with the £8000 removed so £96000 extra lump sum to play with. I'm wondering about paying the rental houses mortgages down before interest rates go up. This would reduce expenses. I'm rather anxious about investing as I'm convinced if I invest then I will be the cause of a bear market..

If you're ok after c-spine surgery, my guess is you won't be the cause of a bear market.
Best wishes,
MRG

If you're ok after c-spine surgery, my guess is you won't be the cause of a bear market.
Best wishes,
MRG

I'm still sure I caused the bear market in the early 00's

Life is good. Just came back from a nine day cruise to Spain Casablanca and lanzarote. I went with my sister m+d and 2 of their friends. Super relaxing. I'm now 7+ weeks post op and doing ok. Unfortunately I am now realising just how much damage had already been caused to many of my day to day essential functions. Good news is everything is still just about working and hopefully I may become aware of improvements.

We paid off our own mortgage (left £4000 balance as its offset and could be used if we wanted cash on a whim for property etc until 2018). We also paid off the three houses on repayment mortgages as that saves us £1000 per month. We will keep the other mortgages on interest only and think of ways to chip away. We are getting an endowment pay out next month £40,000 or so and will use that to max out ISA's this year and next. We get another endowment maturing next year. My pension although over £10000 less than my husbands pay will give the same net income of around £3500 per month as no NI or superannuation payments.

I'm still pretty fatigued but much more chilled. Our income is a little above what we actually need so we will be able to invest and or pay down our rental mortgages until my husband retires in approx 5 years.

Many thanks to all at this fantastic forum I will continue to lurk for the wisdom it provides.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom