55+ communities with indoor pools in Florida

misshathaway

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am an avid daily lap swimmer who wants to move to a central Florida gated community. Florida looks like pool capitol of the world, but many 55+ communities only have heated outdoor pools.

Are there any daily lap swimmers out there who live in a community with an indoor lap pool? Are you able to get a lane to yourself most of the time? Or do you have another solution like a health club nearby or your own heated enclosed pool?

So far I am aware of indoor pools at Stone Creek, On Top of the World, Oak Run, Trilogy (but indoor pool looks tiny), Palm Cay (tiny), Ocala Palms, Stonecrest and The Villages.

Del Webb usually have nice indoor lap pools. There is one off of Hwy 70 in Sarasota. Very nice.

Not that I know of but if you relocate near a gym called LA Fitness, most locations have a 25 meter indoor pool with several lanes. There are several in Central Florida. If you live near Celebration FL very close to Walt Disney World there is a hospital called Celebration Hospital / there is a fully equipped gym with an indoor 25 meter pool. Once a big gator wandered into a local outdoor pool much to the surprise of the residents. Welcome to Florida and the gator capitol of the world.

"Cocoon" was just a fictional movie... ;)

Del Webb Orlando has an indoor pool as does the brand new Del Webb in Tampa.

Stone Creek’s indoor pool allows reservation of several lap lanes for those swimming a regular schedule. The pools and entire spa just received a complete refresh. The outdoor heated pool has two lap lanes as well.

Citrus Hills has a full size indoor pool. Master planned community, but not specifically 55+. However, 90% of the folks are +55. citrushills.com

Central FL near the Villages has 50 degree weather, sometimes all day, in the winter. I know the outdoor pools are heated but does anyone really swim in them in the winter? I can't imagine.

One revelation I got yesterday was that a few resale Villages houses have lap pools and they are harder to sell so slightly cheaper. Might have a solution there, or glass in a lanai and install a swim spa "pool", which is very short and you swim against a current generated at the front of the pool.

Lot's of the Y's have indoor pools .You could always combine outdoor swimming with a seasonal membership at the Y or a fitness center .

Lot's of the Y's have indoor pools .You could always combine outdoor swimming with a seasonal membership at the Y or a fitness center .
If you are an early bird or a night owl , LA Fitness indoor 25 meter pools are open 0500-2300 Mon-Fri and daytime hours on weekends.

The Villages no longer has an indoor pool

Citrus Hills is not in The Villages most people think of. We are located in Citrus County between Inverness and Crystal River. We have about 100,000 fewer residents. We do have nice amenities including a large indoor pool.

Last edited:
Citrus Hills is not in The Villages most people think of. We are located in Citrus County between Inverness and Crystal River. We have about 100,000 fewer residents. We do have nice amenities including a large indoor pool.

Sort of coasty. How did Citrus Hills do in the last hurricane? I am trying to figure out what my risk tolerance for that is. You have many green and blue areas around you though so it is another destination for my rental car.

Thank you so much for all of your generous info. A daily hassle-free lap swim tops the list of important things I want to gain from this move. For years I have gotten up at 3am to be at the club right at the stroke of 5am in order to increase the odds of getting a lane to myself. If not, it's a completely different swim, usually with some 20-something powerful ultramarathoner who capsizes me every time he goes by. Think ocean-liner vs rowboat.

Sort of coasty. How did Citrus Hills do in the last hurricane? I am trying to figure out what my risk tolerance for that is. You have many green and blue areas around you though so it is another destination for my rental car.
Nowhere to hide when the Cat 3 or 4_hurricane builds strength in the Gulf of Mexico and makes a direct hit on Florida. Even the towns 50 miles inland are wrecked.

We are at one of highest elevations in Florida. In fact the 7th green at our Skyview golf course is the fourth highest point in the state at over 200 ft. above sea level. My house is at 108 ft. That means no flood insurance requirement and no mandatory evacuations. Some parts of Citrus Hills lost power for a few days during Irma. No real damage, however.

Ten minutes to salt water but we do not have the beaches they have further south. This area is called the Nature Coast. Along with golf, tennis, etc., lots of people here bicycle, hike, kayak, fish, etc. Definitely worth a trip for the rental car. A different take on Florida than many people think of when they think of Florida.

In Florida you have better luck getting a lane a little later . Water aerobics is very popular and most of the indoor pools have it starting at 8 am. I go at 1 Pm have the pool to myself.

Kayaking is for the brave of heart. I respect the gators that live in the waters and don't want to become their mid time snack.

Kayaking is for the brave of heart. I respect the gators that live in the waters and don't want to become their mid time snack.

The Gators go for easy prey. The only time I heard of on approaching a kayak was a guy who had his fish catch on a stringer in the open water. Kayaking the spring fed rivers in Florida like the Weekiwachee, Rainbow, or Santa Fe is a treat. The Gators tend to like the waterways where there is a lot of tannin in the water making it very dark colored. We also kayak the salt marshes around here. Gators don't do salt. :popcorn:

Central FL near the Villages has 50 degree weather, sometimes all day, in the winter. I know the outdoor pools are heated but does anyone really swim in them in the winter? I can't imagine.

One revelation I got yesterday was that a few resale Villages houses have lap pools and they are harder to sell so slightly cheaper. Might have a solution there, or glass in a lanai and install a swim spa "pool", which is very short and you swim against a current generated at the front of the pool.
It's probably not bad once you get in. We frequently go to outdoor hot springs, in 5-20 degree weather. It's a little chilly to step outside in your bathing suit but once you've gotten in no problem.

The Gators go for easy prey. The only time I heard of on approaching a kayak was a guy who had his fish catch on a stringer in the open water. Kayaking the spring fed rivers in Florida like the Weekiwachee, Rainbow, or Santa Fe is a treat. The Gators tend to like the waterways where there is a lot of tannin in the water making it very dark colored. We also kayak the salt marshes around here. Gators don't do salt. :popcorn:
True that the gators don't care for salt water but they and have been in those waters. If I can only get the local kids to stop feeding the resident gators in my gated community that reside in the nearby retention ponds that would be sweet.

We are planning a trip to Citrus Hills and On top of the world in early February. We will be looking at homes and generally driving around the areas. We have contacted a local realtor. Any advice would be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom