55 year old Texan will retire within the next year

russingr

Dryer sheet wannabe
I frequently read Scott Burns column in the Dallas Morning News, and initially came here to explore FIRE-Calc, and found that I also enjoy the forums. Thanks to all of you for some excellent information. At this time I don't have a question I wished to post, but simply wanted to introduce myself.

I plan to leave the Fortune 25 company where I work some time within the next year, then I plan to teach at the high school or community college level for a few years. I taught high school for five years when I left college in 1974, and I'll need to re-activate my teaching certificate by taking an exam.

My fiancee plans to continue working for a couple of years. She has one 18 year old from a former marriage, and I have three (ages 25, 22, 20) from a former marriage. We plan to marry some time this fall, and are looking forward to our future as empty nesters (the 18 year old begins college in the fall).

Life is good, and will be even better when I RE in a few months. :)

Congrats on your engagement and empty nestiness and upcoming semi-retirement! Welcome!

Teaching definitely *is* work. But in this case it will be work done to give back, not to collect a paycheck. Big difference. I did enjoy it years ago, and only left at that time to earn more money. And if I don't enjoy it this time, I won't be doing it long.

Welcome to the boards. BTW is there any reason you are going to teach after you leave the Fortune 25 - just curious is it financially motivated or to give you something to do?

Russ, Best wishes to you and your bride to be! I too left a Fortune 25 a few years ago and contemplated the thought of teaching as I always loved math/physics, but to date have not pursued it. Nevertheless, I think it would be a very rewarding post-corporate career.

DFW

Welcome to the boards. BTW is there any reason you are going to teach after you leave the Fortune 25 - just curious is it financially motivated or to give you something to do?
DangerMouse: It's essentially a way of "giving back", yet earning a little money (probably $40K-50K gross annually) so that I delay / minimize the withdrawals I will take from my nest egg. Kind of like doing volunteer work, but getting paid a little something for it. I would work a little less than nine months a year, and have a little over three months off. It would allow me to "glide path" into retirement, without living totally off nest egg withdrawals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom