6% a year seems pretty fool proof, any thoughts?

in dollar terms the markets fully recovered from the great depression in just 4-1/2 years .

dividends were running 18% and were not included in calculations .

the cpi fell 18% meaning you needed 18% less in real return . no different than looking at real returns if inflation was soaring , it is just the reverse .

many stocks that were popular were doing very well and were not in the index's yet , ibm being one of them .

by the time you reached the same nominal level you were sooooo far a head of where you were pre great depression in real return

Sounds similar to the recent Great Recession.... painful to go through but relatively short-lived, inflation went away for a while, and most importantly, if you stayed the course or rebalanced into stocks you were far ahead of those who bailed out.

....As an example investing in real estate has been a successful way to retire for thousands of years and that often has withdrawal rates higher than 6%.

I am certain more people have retired off of real estate than bogleheads method.

I guess that you are not familiar with this recent poll....http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/poll-how-you-got-to-1-million-nw-88292-2.html#post1934518

Saving and investing was over 16x investing in real estate.

View Poll Results: How Did You Reach $1 million NW?
This poll will close on 10-02-2017 at 05:41 PM
Owning/Operating a Business185.03%
Real Estate185.03%
Profession - Doctor, Lawyer133.63%
Inheritance41.12%
Saving from your employment income and investing29582.40%
Other102.79%

Last edited:
He claims - and I haven't checked his math, but it seems reasonable - that 6% is historically safe for 30 years about 50% of the time. So you are as likely to be OK as you are to be not OK.

If you are willing to flip a coin regarding "is it safe?", then 6% is very reasonable.

And if it turns out not to be safe, then it's prudent to have a Plan B. (Although anyone willing to flip a coin probably wouldn't care to be prudent.)

I remember when I was taking calculus in high school the teacher would say 'the answer is approaching 2 so the answer is 2'.... BUT, it actually never does get to 2... WHAT:confused: My strict logical head never did like that thinking...

Yes, limits and infinity are hard to comprehend

It's like the proof that 0.9999..... = 1.
10 x 0.9999.... = 9.9999....
So 9 x 0.9999.... = 9.9999.... - 0.9999.... = 9
9/9 = 1
QED

in dollar terms the markets fully recovered from the great depression in just 4-1/2 years .

the cpi fell 18% meaning you needed 18% less in real return . no different than looking at real returns if inflation was soaring , it is just the reverse .

many stocks that were popular were doing very well and were not in the index's yet , ibm being one of them .

by the time you reached the same nominal level you were sooooo far a head of where you were pre great depression in real return

But the hurt felt by the citizens was much more widespread and for much longer... the financial markets were (IMO, no facts) more closely held than today... the vast majority of people had nothing in the market... but they did lose their job and it did not improve much until WWII.... I have read other places that said unemployment hit 15 mill... so not sure if this is correct...

My mom talks about that time as she was in high school and her dad went from job to job and they moved almost every year.... eventually she lived with her grand mom... but she had little and did not get any kind of aid... my mom's sister was a teacher but quit her job to go somewhere else since the local schools ran out of money to pay the teachers...

Edit... OK.. table did not look good at all... it showed unemployment getting close to 25% and being high up to 1941... http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1528.html

I know this is about investing, but the comparison of the great depression and great recession are a bit off base IMO... the depression was much worse and lasted much longer and had more devastating effects than what we went through...

Last edited:
I have no idea how firecalc calculates or what it considers, but purely from a historical perspective, the market has shown it can go lower.
Facts Stock Market Crash 1929 | Facts The Great Depression

"September 1929, the Dow Jones more than doubled, increasing from 191 points to 381 points .... By July 1932, years after the start of the Great Depression, the Dow Jones was at just 41 points."

So the market ended up at only 10.8 % of it's high value.
As I specified several times in earlier posts that I have only modeled the 50/50 case, not the 100% equity case. And 1929 was not the worst starting year in the FIRECALC historical record.

The reason we speak of the DJIA today is that it survived the great depression, it was created in 1929. Most investment were not in Dow stocks, the most popular and considered safe investments of 1929 were real estate and banking stocks. The banking stocks had a double liability thought to make them more secure if the investors knew not only was their investment at stake but another 100% of the investment as well.

A common practice during the great depression was to level investment buildings because the real estate expenses continued while the renters were unable to pay rent. People with the most money in the great depression got wiped out.

Additionally most banks stopped allowing people to withdraw funds from their accounts, leading to sales of passbooks at 60 cents on the dollar in order to have money to spend.

The people that held on and did well was not any of the average investors and to imply that the population as a whole was ignorant is just wrong, they had beliefs the current wisdom of their day held that real estate, rental properties and a few banking stocks were the recipe to wealth. Only 3 percent of the US population actually owned stocks in 1929. Most of them were the wealthier portion of Americans and would have owned banks, which over time forced them to sell assets at any price to meet the liabilities they owned. This is why in 1931 -1932 the market just kept plunging as wealthy people had no choice but to sell their stocks because of their debts.

To apply modern portfolio theory and expected returns based on a time where 97% of people didn't even hold stocks and a large class of stocks held a double liability that is not reflected in actual returns is interesting to me.

If one knew a product was going to go from 3% of the population insisting on owning it to 50% of the population what would be the expected valuation of that product? You expect it to go up, to then transform that data into a long time continuum of expected returns is merely returning to what the average American thought in 1929 when 50% owned their house even though the 30 year mortgage didn't exist. Primary mortgages were considered safe and were only offered for 50% of the home value and still 50% owned their homes, that is where their wealth went, however it became common to take on second and third mortgages for up to 80% of the value of housing. It is for this reason in 2009 that the Fed, which had claimed housing prices could not possibly decline decided to aggressively buy all that debt to hold up the price of an over mortgaged asset class. It is an interesting experiment that 8 years later is 1/2 over.

With the stock market decline from 1929 - 1932 all the bankers and financiers became rolled up in the same problem. It is because there were so few people owning stocks that it became easy for politicians and the populace to blame the depression on stock market manipulation when in reality it was just a mass delusion on the part of bankers that collapsed the financing mechanism of the country. Most stocks ceased paying dividends, stocks that survived and paid dividends came to be known as DJIA stocks, the S&P500 etc, at the time no one thought they were safe the 3% ownership rate which fell to 1 percent at the nadir to 50% is why you now get 2 percent dividends instead of 9 percent and count on capital gains as a reliable source of income for the future

What can one expect in returns? Assuming no crash you have the dividend rate and the long term growth of the economy it seems to me, probably 2 percent over inflation for the long run for common stocks with Bonds returning less than inflation. A 50/50 portfolio will probably average 1 percent over inflation for the long run from this price point in my thinking.

Last edited:
my plan is to take 0.5%per month which works out to 6% per year with a 100 % equity allocation. This plan is guaranteed to never run out of money. Our base expenses are low enough that could easily survive a 50% drop in the stock market. Also we could always start collecting social security if the market drops more than 50% We are 60 years old and are eligible for about 66k in ss payments per year at age 70 which we could survive on worst case.
It seems pretty simple to me so I must be missing something. Please give me your thoughts

While it's clear from your intro that you're comfortable with 6% and the ability to adjust your budget as the market moves over time, I think your willingness to consider 5% is meaningful. I expect you have enough for success, given your large amount of budget flexibility. I do think you might benefit from a little further research (if you haven't already done so) to get a better feel for what major market changes might do to your WR/budget when we hit corrections/bear markets over the next few decades.

I've read many of the posts over the last few days, and those that express concern about the volatility of 100% equities and the resultant volatility of a larger constant % WR, as well as the impacts of inflation affecting your real budget, are very worthy of your consideration; but from your post, I sense you have a high tolerance for risk, and are just fine implementing a backup plan (or two) in the event there's a major bear in our future.

I may be restating a recommendation from someone else, but I think going to the Boglehead wiki and downloading the VPW spreadsheet there and playing with it some, might be helpful to you. Stress test your plan a bit. Entering various parameters would allow you to see how different constant % amounts would look over time ---and maybe give you a feel for the WD amount volatility (nominal and real).

Early Retirement Now (ERN) also has a spreadsheet that can be used, and it utilizes a monthly WR, which you might like better than VPW's annual periods.

This further research might help you decide which path is right for you.

NL

Back
Top Bottom