A different perspective on Veterans Day

I served during the era between Vietnam and the Gulf Wars. I was still on active duty during the short Iraq "War" in 1991, but I don't include that. In 24 years service, the closest I came to being in harms way, was 3 years aboard an aircraft carrier. The only danger there, was the somewhat inherent risk of being on a carrier, not any incident that occurred while I was on board. The remainder of my time was served in climate controlled Control Towers and Radar rooms, on terra firma.

I don't consider myself worthy of the same respect given to those who have served in wartime. Especially those who have served in the Army or Marines in battle zones.

I don't consider all veterans as being equal, although current public sentiment seems to do so. It's a strange environment, where veterans are now honored as celebrities, but also seen as victims.

It is my understanding that serving six months or more on active duty is the classic definition of a veteran. Why is it you don't think you qualify?
Except when classified as ACDUTRA (Active Duty for Training). One more day would qualify... but that's the way the rules are written.

The term “active duty” means—
(A) full-time duty in the Armed Forces, other than active duty for training;
(B) full-time duty (other than for training purposes) as a commissioned officer of the Regular or Reserve Corps of the Public Health Service
(i) on or after July 29, 1945, or
(ii) before that date under circumstances affording entitlement to “full military benefits” or
(iii) at any time, for the purposes of chapter 13 of this title;
(C) full-time duty as a commissioned officer of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration or its predecessor organization the Coast and Geodetic Survey
(i) on or after July 29, 1945, or
(ii) before that date
(I) while on transfer to one of the Armed Forces, or
(II) while, in time of war or national emergency declared by the President, assigned to duty on a project for one of the Armed Forces in an area determined by the Secretary of Defense to be of immediate military hazard, or
(III) in the Philippine Islands on December 7, 1941, and continuously in such islands thereafter, or
(iii) at any time, for the purposes of chapter 13 of this title;

During the time of the reduction in force (May 1959 I think) there were some 500 officers who were in my situation. Those who hired a lawyer received reinstatement with benefits, but those, who like me, didn't think about the situation, lost out as the statute of limitations ran out.
No matter... just one of those.... anomolies...

I served during the era between Vietnam and the Gulf Wars. I was still on active duty during the short Iraq "War" in 1991, but I don't include that. In 24 years service, the closest I came to being in harms way, was 3 years aboard an aircraft carrier. The only danger there, was the somewhat inherent risk of being on a carrier, not any incident that occurred while I was on board. The remainder of my time was served in climate controlled Control Towers and Radar rooms, on terra firma.

I don't consider myself worthy of the same respect given to those who have served in wartime. Especially those who have served in the Army or Marines in battle zones.

I don't consider all veterans as being equal, although current public sentiment seems to do so. It's a strange environment, where veterans are now honored as celebrities, but also seen as victims.

This is what the Old Testament has to say about that.

Samuel 30:24
New International Version (NIV)

24 Who will listen to what you say? The share of the man who stayed with the supplies is to be the same as that of him who went down to the battle. All will share alike.

I enlisted delayed enlistment while in High School. After I finished I went on active duty for four years.

When I enlisted the Vietnam war was still technically on. By the time I went active it was over. Since I never spent a day on active duty during wartime I cannot join the American Legion.

My Dad was drafted during the Koran war. Spent the whole time in Kansas. Two years. Within driving distance of his home town. He is in the American Legion and wears his hat in the parade.

I have had a few people thank me for my service when I was wearing an Air Force T-Shirt or cap. Surprised me the first time. Don't feel that any thanks is required. I did nothing compared to many.

Nords said:
My daughter was voluntold to help with the Veterans Day ceremony at her college. I got a panicked e-mail about "Help me write my speech!" but she did just fine: Rice honors veterans

Nords, I watched this several days ago on another veteran's site and was very impressed with her delivery, at least the small part they had in the piece. It was clear to me that showing any more of her speech would have been an unkind comparison to the CO. She appeared totally in command of her delivery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to get uncomfortable with people thanking me. To me, its like people thanking me for breathing, or eating.

Now I just say "thanks" or "it was my pleasure" (because it was).

Nords,

Your daughter's delivery of her speech was wonderful. You must be so proud of her.

Nords, I watched this several days ago on another veteran's site and was very impressed with her delivery, at least the small part they had in the piece. It was clear to me that showing any more of her speech would have been an unkind comparison to the CO. She appeared totally in command of her delivery.
Nords,
Your daughter's delivery of her speech was wonderful. You must be so proud of her.
Thanks! She gets that from her mother.

I just suggested that she read it out loud in the privacy of her room before going up on the podium...

Her NROTC unit CO is USNA '85, who was having his plebe year when I graduated. He's doing a good job at the unit of straightening out some long-term problems.

Ditto on this...when I'm wearing my uniform out and about in Los Angeles, it is weird to me - I'm an officer and someone wanted to pay for my lunch at a restaurant.....uhhh, pay for the enlisted guy who has the weapon and is running around in some desert or backwater area truly putting his/her life at risk. It is very uncomfortable to me as I haven't been in harm's way like what I've seen with some of the youngsters and the other *real* vets to me. Do I understand that could change or could have been different, yes, it's all timing. My Dad flew in Vietnam and my GrandDaddy flew in WWII over the hump nearly starving to death in China...they are the heroes to me.

Back
Top Bottom