a new milestone for me!

I'm almost 38, wife just turned 40. kids are 7 and 9, single income. I think our NW is relatively low compared to many posters of our age on this forum, this is because my career/salary didn’t take off until 5, 6 years ago(I’m making close to $100k now).

Now I see a fuller picture and I think your family is doing nice considering that's only 5-6 years, SAHM + 2 kids.

Software or whatever industry says nothing to me. I'm totally clueless in that area, but I see what you're saying about computer related career and accounting and enumeration for both. Just today I had lunch with my friend who said she was promoted to a manager. She's an IT person dealing with Cyber Security and works for one of major electricity companies. And she's only 33y.o.:cool: I was so curious to ask about her salary, but all I said "Great! Now you're raking money in". She just smiled at me:whistle:... and left me wondering ;)

I'm almost 38, wife just turned 40. kids are 7 and 9, single income. I think our NW is relatively low compared to many posters of our age on this forum, this is because my career/salary didn’t take off until 5, 6 years ago(I’m making close to $100k now). Prior to that I’d been stuck at a dying software company for 4 years making less than $50k(I switched career into the dot com burst, then came 9/11, software jobs were scarce. Then the defense industry took off and that’s how I got into the DoD software industry which I’m in now); and even prior to that I was making less than $30k with my accounting degree in the late ‘90s. So a great majority of my savings really came from the past 6 years.

BTW, thanks to all the congrats and encouraging words from everyone.

He that hath wife and children hath given hostages to fortune;
Francis Bacon

Speaking as a Father of the Bride who just married off DD#2 I wish you the very best. MIL FIL DW And SIL were/are all software geeks. I taught software law among other things. We also had our kids in our 30s.
Only advice I can give you is keep up in the broad field not just your niche, especially in DOD land.

Danger:confused: In a Young Dreamer tracking progress and trends in his basket of market-priced assets to keep a score? Nonsense, in my view.

Congrats, ER_Hopeful - with no qualifiers.

+1

You are doing great, keep on doing what you have been doing.

He that hath wife and children hath given hostages to fortune;
Francis Bacon

Speaking as a Father of the Bride who just married off DD#2 I wish you the very best. MIL FIL DW And SIL were/are all software geeks. I taught software law among other things. We also had our kids in our 30s.
Only advice I can give you is keep up in the broad field not just your niche, especially in DOD land.

You might also want to get a bit of experience in software procurement by DoD and the Federal Government generally.

Yeah, congratulations on that milestone! Just to warn you though, you'll inevitably cross that same milestone again several more times, as the market bounces around.

Happened to me with the $400K milestone. I broke that milestone four times: October 2007, December 2007, June 2008, and October 2009. Hopefully I'm above it for good now, but you never know...in November 2008 I was flirting with $200K. And it doesn't look nearly as pretty falling down to it, as it did rising up!

But, just keep doing what you're doing, plug away, and dollar-cost-averaging does help smooth out the rough patches in the long run.

Congrats ER_H

The more you dca, the faster it grows, and the easier it gets. Keep at it.

R

ER_Hopeful - congratulations on your achievement! It is amazing how fast it starts happening once you get your teeth sunk in!
Reading your later posts in this thread, it's seems we've got a lot of parallels. I'm about your age (2 yrs older), couple of kids close to the same age (3 and 7), single income family, income started increasing rapidly about 6 years ago, and crossed the same milestone early this year.
Best of luck in the future!

Congrats... keep it up!

Someday you will be thanking yourself for having the option to make other life choice due to FI. :)

Back
Top Bottom