a post-retirement moment

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
OK, I know, I'm not retired yet. But I am looking forward to having the time to notice many more splendid moments like this....

The other night was a beautiful ride home from the joint. Not too chilly (67º), dry, and clear. So I'm cruising along on the motorcycle, keeping an eye out for the evil White-tailed Nemesis, when something flashes in my peripheral vision. I do a second look and notice that the moon is so bright that I actually have a moon-shadow racing along beside me. "He" kept up for several miles before I lost track of him.

Tranquility, isn't that what retirement is supposed to be all about?:angel:

That's a nice moment! Look for those sorts of tranquil times all the time, not just post retirement.

Funny you should mention the moon shadow from the other night. I was out walking my dogs last night, looked up and was mesmerized watching the flashing lights from two planes flying parallel paths beneath that bright harvest moon. After they disappeared from sight, I just kept looking up at the sky, marvelling at the incredibly clear night and picking out some of the brightest stars. (Before I retired, I would have been much too rushed to even pay attention to any of this....)

When I finally looked back down, I saw that both my dogs were sitting at my feet, looking up at me as if to say, "Hello! Don't forget why we're out here...the task is called 'a walk', not a 'stand!" :D

I love the view going south out of Seattle along Boeing field when the sun is shining and you can see Mt Rainier and a large plane coming almost directly at you so you can see the tread on the tires almost.

The Wasatch Mountains around Salt Lake City and Provo got a dusting of snow last Saturday to add charm to the beautiful autumn blaze foliage. A thing of beauty.

We get to see osprey grab fish from the Gulf and dolphins breaching as we cross the many bridges around here. Jogging on Bayshore drive, I'll often see fish jump and keep up with me for 30 yards or so. At dusk, even in our city neighborhood we see hawks, owls, and black racers doing what they do.

It's good to appreciate these things, retired or not.

Running down the Chesapeake on a clear cool evening under full sail in a following sea, as the ospreys and seagulls soar overhead, and the red sun sets to the west. Just last weekend
smiley.gif

On the back porch last evening, as the cool, calm air of dusk awaited the stars. Swifts and bats darting about for insects; frogs trilling their desires all around the lake; small herd of white tail deer, watching me suspiciously, grazing at the water's edge, and the distant wail of a train passing the sleepy nearby town. I'm glad summer is gone. Autumn is in the moment. I long for these diurnal moments at sunrise that I now miss, forever gone, while I travel hours before the sun awakens. Soon, very soon...

Back
Top Bottom