A question for my favorite think tank.

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My hobby job as a part time freelance developer is coming along nicely. My latest gig was assisting on complex issues of progress reporting for a major construction project. Early on I made some suggestions about industrializing the process. My client a consultant himself took my ideas to his employer. The employer decided to go it but use their in-house development. (Thats ok, it happens but I was unaware). I get a invite to a meeting and un expectantly there is another developer on the line. He’s there to pick my brains about how to industrialize. I am on the phone for an hour- It was then that it was revealed to me that they decided to go with in-house programming.

A few days later I get a request to do a couple hours more which I will finish today. My question is do I charge them for that hour on the phone? I must say I am inclined to do so.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this..

I'd charge them. Absolutely.

We used to charge "Portal to Portal", that is, from the moment we left the door to the moment we got back...which could be weeks or months. A bit different in your case, but the same in some ways.

If they took my suggestion, tried to do it in-house, then needed my help to make it work, I'd charge them double. If they screw it up, I'm sure all the in-house folks are going to blame you.

You know the joke about the old engineers bill? One slap cost $1. Knowing where to slap cost $9,999.

What does your services agreement with them say? Assuming something like this is not specifically called out as not allowed, I would bill. The way this project has gone down, I would "bill through the whistle" (football analogy).

What does your services agreement with them say? Assuming something like this is not specifically called out as not allowed, I would bill. The way this project has gone down, I would "bill through the whistle" (football analogy).

No real agreement other than I advertise my rate - they tell me what they want and I deliver and bill.

I am on the phone for an hour- It was then that it was revealed to me that they decided to go with in-house programming.

So, this is about charging for one hour? I'd charge them for that (or two). It's not like you're charging them for 40-50 hours worth. I doubt they'd flinch.

Back
Top Bottom