ACA and HSAs

You go first. :LOL:

I just might... Play the dumb card and pay the fine. At worst I would go from ridiculous monthly premiums to free health care for a while. Maybe I might get lucky and get to talk politics Rod Blagojevich or learn some investing tips from Bernie.

I was unable to find any Silver plans that were HSA compatible.
I can't figure out what the motivation here is.

I was unable to find any Silver plans that were HSA compatible.
I can't figure out what the motivation here is.

I'm currently individual off exchange Bronze with an HSA and have had this for two years but was thinking about going to Silver. I could not find any Silver BCBS with HSA's in my state either.

I've noticed this, too. Something tells me that the IRS has no way of routinely checking this unless you got ratted out or ran into some other special scrutiny.

Last year I filed form 1095-A, which shows my marketplace policy number. I would guess that can easily be checked to see if it is HSA compliant if I've taken the HSA deduction. But take your chances if you feel lucky.

Last year I filed form 1095-A, which shows my marketplace policy number. I would guess that can easily be checked to see if it is HSA compliant if I've taken the HSA deduction. But take your chances if you feel lucky.

It would be interesting if the IRS actually checks that...yet routinely, as a matter of "unofficial policy", continues to decline to pursue people that owe fines for not having health insurance coverage, and don't have a refund to apply it against. Given the perception of the lack of technological prowess of the IRS, I'd put my money on Mulligan.

Of course, I'll stay content watching, cheering, and jeering from the sidelines, rather than sticking my neck out on the field. ;)

It would be interesting if the IRS actually checks that...yet routinely, as a matter of "unofficial policy", continues to decline to pursue people that owe fines for not having health insurance coverage, and don't have a refund to apply it against. Given the perception of the lack of technological prowess of the IRS, I'd put my money on Mulligan.

Of course, I'll stay content watching, cheering, and jeering from the sidelines, rather than sticking my neck out on the field. ;)

The requirement for employers to file a 1095-B or 10095-C for health insurance coverage has been continuously delayed. 1095-A is only for Marketplace purchased insurance.

Until this happens the IRS could not really tell if someone actually had coverage vs just checking the box that said they had coverage.

It will be interesting to see if the 1095-B/C's are required to be filed in a timely matter this year.

-gauss

p.s. I think that 1095-B/C's were required last year but they were not due until very late in the filing season

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom