ACA in Arizona

Packman

Recycles dryer sheets
I am wondering if anyone has any information about insurers participating in Obamacare in AZ for 2017, specifically Maricopa County (the Phoenix area). I've talked to a couple of insurance brokers recently. One claims only Cigna will be in for 2017 and they have proposed at 58% rate increase. The other broker says there are currently no insurance companies lined up for Maricopa county.

This year I do not qualify for a subsidy since we report too much income (I'm harvesting capital gains to fill the 15% tax bracket at a zero tax rate). However, if Cigna is in Healthcare.gov for next year, and calculating a 58% increase in their premiums, it would mean that 'my' premiums will more than double for 2017. Can you believe that? Anyway, I'd look to take the subsidy early next year and dump the tax gain harvesting strategy. And unfortunately, after 5 years of retirement for me and 2 years for my DW, we may have to go back to work to get health insurance!

What a mess the state of health insurance is in.

My understanding is that there is only one provider for Maricopa County at this point and it is called Centene and is based out of Missouri. They will be using Cigna's medical network but Centene will be your insurance company. Here is a story from the Arizona Republic.

New 'Obamacare' insurer comes to Maricopa County as another exits

Not sure which of Cigna's networks it will be as I believe they have two. Will have to wait till Nov 1 to find out. Sure wish BCBS would change their mind.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom