ACA Rate Increases For 2022

I'm in GA. Pleasantly surprised that my Kaiser plan for next year is actually about 2% lower, in spite of us getting one year old. LOL.

I'm in GA. Pleasantly surprised that my Kaiser plan for next year is actually about 2% lower, in spite of us getting one year old. LOL.

This is a good point. When one is noting their price increase for the new year, they should also compare what the price would be if they stayed the same age forever. Not that this makes one feel better, but it does give you an idea of the "cost of aging" and not just the rising cost of healthcare.

Florida Blue costs & plans do not seem to be up yet on Healthcare.gov, not for our zip code at least.

Florida Blue plans are now available in our Tampa zip code.
At first glance, it appears that the premium cost is up 41%. Crazy.
This is for the 1443 Silver, which I think you also use.

Supposedly insurers were wildly profitable last year because covid kept people from going to hospitals and doctors.

If they comply with the MLR requirement, it seems premiums shouldn't be going up as high as reported here.

Check the Gold plans. Are they less expensive than the Silver? In Pennsylvania, the insurance companies have "Silver Loaded" the costs of providing cost-sharing reductions (lower deductibles and co-pays) that the federal government previously paid for. These only apply to Silver plans. President Trump changed things so the government doesn't pay for those any longer. So the insurers pass the cost along in the form of higher cost Silver plans. The side effect is that overall subsidies go up because they are based on the second lowest cost Silver plan.

In my county, there are multiple Gold plans that cost less than some of the Silver ones.

Perhaps the insurers have started this in Florida now and this results in extra large increases in Silver plans this year. Just something to look out for.

Check the Gold plans. Are they less expensive than the Silver? In Pennsylvania, the insurance companies have "Silver Loaded" the costs of providing cost-sharing reductions (lower deductibles and co-pays) that the federal government previously paid for. These only apply to Silver plans. President Trump changed things so the government doesn't pay for those any longer. So the insurers pass the cost along in the form of higher cost Silver plans. The side effect is that overall subsidies go up because they are based on the second lowest cost Silver plan.

In my county, there are multiple Gold plans that cost less than some of the Silver ones.

Perhaps the insurers have started this in Florida now and this results in extra large increases in Silver plans this year. Just something to look out for.

There are some Gold plans which are cheaper, but they typically have deductibles and the max OOP is much higher.
The deductible on the Silver is zero and the max OOP is 3,700.
So the gov't doesn't pay for CSR's. The push to overturn Obamacare failed, but get stuck with this great decision.

Yup DW has 1443c. I checked this morning will check again later.

A different angle.
Does the Max OOP generically refer to one's total OOP, or is the OOP only apply to in network doctors?
If it applies to Out of Network doctors, then the max cost would be worth it in return for a much lower premium. This would apply to HMO's vs. EPO's.

A different angle.
Does the Max OOP generically refer to one's total OOP, or is the OOP only apply to in network doctors?
If it applies to Out of Network doctors, then the max cost would be worth it in return for a much lower premium. This would apply to HMO's vs. EPO's.

My insurance broker pointed out to me that you have to read the details about out of network coverage carefully as each company handles them differently. Some provide no coverage out of network except for emergencies. Some provide coverage but have a separate deductible and max OOP for out of network charges. Some provide coverage but have a separate deductible but NO Max OOP for out of network providers.

Supposedly insurers were wildly profitable last year because covid kept people from going to hospitals and doctors.

If they comply with the MLR requirement, it seems premiums shouldn't be going up as high as reported here.

I've received an MLR rebate from BCBS each of the last 3 years that has more than offset the premium increases for those years. It does make one wonder why their rate increases keep getting approved.

I've received an MLR rebate from BCBS each of the last 3 years that has more than offset the premium increases for those years. It does make one wonder why their rate increases keep getting approved.

I received a $100 rebate last month from last years premium. I got a letter today from BC stating my HSA unsubsidized is going from $677 to $678. Not bad.
But better news for me is it goes to $150 end of year including dental and vision because I get to hop on my girlfriends plan.

Back
Top Bottom