ACA Subsidy and moving to a new state

jpeter1093

Recycles dryer sheets
We're retired, live in NYS and my DW has Blue Shield of NE NY via the NYS ACA website. I'm on Medicare with a Medigap plan (N) through Blue Shield, as well. We're planning on moving to Colorado later this year. Any info on the mechanics of switching to Colorado's version of ACA? Do we cancel Blue Shield as of the first of a month and start on Colorado's then? Do we let Blue Shield cover us through the end of they year as if we were traveling? I assume we have to establish our Colorado residency before we can sign up through their website?

Thanks

Change of location is one of the qualifying life events that permits you to change ACA plans. So you're covered there. If you move, you are supposed to update your policy accordingly, so I would think you need to set up for a Colorado-based plan to begin on the 1st of the month after you relocate. There isn't really any residency proof you need to provide other than your new address. So as soon as you know that, you can put in the request for Colorado. I would arrange for termination of your NY policy on the same date as your Colorado policy begins.

Since both NY and CO have their own ACA health insurance exchanges, you should probably speak to someone at both of them to ensure the switch is done properly.

Last edited:
You need to switch to a new plan in new state. Our of area health claims will be questioned extensively if you are not traveling and actually moved.....just keep in mind that you will have deductibles for each plan...thats the biggest downside. Also the fact that NY is not age rated, and CO is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom