Advice for dealing with an insolvent estate

Sisseroni

Confused about dryer sheets
Long time lurker seeking advice from any tax experts or estate experts on what to do, if anything, about my recently deceased siblings’ creditors and final taxes. To the best of knowledge, my brother’s estate is insolvent. He has an overdrawn checking account, no retirement savings, no real estate, no car, nothing of any value. But he has credit card debt, personal loans from friends/investors, a federal small business loan from Covid, and unpaid federal taxes (2020 and 2021). I do not have physical records of his finances. I’m only going by what he told me on his deathbed. If it matters, he was living abroad for the last 5 years and died abroad. Also, I have only incomplete paper records of his finances that I got from his apartment. There is no Will.

My questions are:

- Is it required that a family member file a final tax return(s) for a deceased family member? There is no money to pay taxes and I don’t have accurate income or expense information. He was paid an unknown amount through Paypal by a foreign company as his income source (he said about $39k in 2020).

- Is there any reason to go through probate? Is it required? There is no estate to probate, but maybe the process could assign a court appointed estate Administrator who could then gain access to his bank account and paypal account to prove insolvency and verify 2020 and 2021 income for tax purposes. Is that a possibility? I have no idea. Also, where would I even probate the estate? In the state where he used to reside and where his bank is?

My ONLY motivation for possibly inserting myself into this situation is that my brother occasionally used my elderly parents’ U.S. address. That’s how I determined he had a federal SBA loan when the bills recently arrived at their house. My parents are old and easily stressed, one with dementia, etc. I just do not want them to have to deal with anything – mail, calls, whatever.

A possible second motivation is that it may be the right thing to do. But many times I have found that no good deed goes unpunished.

To help avoid my parents getting harassed by creditors, I have mailed death certificates and letters to his bank and the creditors I do know about, including the SBA, SS, credit card companies, etc. and asserted that there will be no probate of the estate because his estate was insolvent. I have no idea if that is ok to do, but that’s what I did. But I have not reached out to the IRS and have not addressed the IRS final taxes issue. Can I just leave that for the IRS to figure out? Walk away and not deal with anything? I cannot possibly determine his income without better records and access to his bank and paypal accounts. And the IRS requires that a court assigned Administrator or Estate Executor be the person filing the final taxes. So…

Do I notify Paypal and gmail and … ? I don’t really want to spend my own money on attorney or tax consults for any of this if I don’t have to. I am already out considerable money for funeral services, travel costs, medical bills, etc.

I am sorry for the loss of your brother.
If you do not wish to hire an attorney, I would chose to just ignore everything. Try to collect the mail from your folks so they do not get any more stressed.
If there is no money anywhere, no bills can be paid. And no one in your family is responsible (at least that is my understanding).
I am not an attorney nor an expert though!

I wouldn't spend one cent of your own money and would do nothing. The last think you would want to do is accept an appointment as personal representative of the estate. The important thing is to continue to do your best to shield your parents from any involvement. All the creditors and the IRS are stuck and won't receive anything. It's not your problem nor that of anyone else.

As I've seen other lawyers post, I am a lawyer but not your lawyer.:)

Gill

Last edited:
I agree, just ignore everything. Except just tell your parents that any mail for your sibling is for you, that you are handling it; even if that means throwing away the letters. Creditors can't get from you or your parents. Ignore the creditors.

I had a kind of similar situation with my aunt. Never married, no children. I was the closest relative. There was no money in the estate, and some debt. I did contact a lawyer in her state (different than my state) and he advised just do nothing, let the state deal with it as they have process for people who die with essentially nothing. So that is what I did after his advice, do nothing.

+1 and I'm not a lawyer, but I would ignore everything... you have no obligation to any of the creditors... they'll chase him but find out it is a wild goose chase and give up.

If you can, intercept his mail from your parent's mailbox so they don't have to deal with it.

One thing that you are probably aware of but your parent's might not be. Some unscrupulous creditors might suggest or infer that your or your parents are somehow responsible for your deceased brothers debts or try to lay some sort of guilt trip that you or your parents should pay them... you are not responsible at all... they made the decision to grant him credit and as it turns out it was a bad decision so they are out of luck.

OK. Thanks. That is my instinct here. To just let it all go.

My brother does have adult children. They will not involve themselves with any of this. I'm assuming they have no responsiblity either.

You could go to USPS and forward his mail from your parents address to yours. That way your parents wouldn't see any of the mail. Then, like others said, do nothing. You have no responsibility in this case.

+1 good idea. And yes, his adult children do not have any responsibility for his debts either.

Sounds like a sad situation though.

...My brother does have adult children. They will not involve themselves with any of this. ...
!!??!!

Bingo! Buy some big brown envelopes. As mail arrives put it unopened into one of the envelopes. When it is full, mail it to one of these bums. Repeat as necessary.

I might be overly paranoid, but changing his mailing address doesn’t seem right.

Are you allowed to do this for someone else? If that person is deceased, then does it imply that you’re somehow involved with his estate?

I probably am paranoid, since even if you change the address, odds are all a creditor can do is hassle you which you can ignore. But I’d double check to make sure it’s safe.

When my ex-wife died eight years ago, she was destitute, owed $60 K+ on CC's, owed the IRS unknown amounts due to not filing tax returns, had spare change in the bank, etc. DD threw her mail away until it finally stopped coming (she had it forwarded to her). Never heard another word.

I might be overly paranoid, but changing his mailing address doesn’t seem right.

Are you allowed to do this for someone else? If that person is deceased, then does it imply that you’re somehow involved with his estate?

I probably am paranoid, since even if you change the address, odds are all a creditor can do is hassle you which you can ignore. But I’d double check to make sure it’s safe.
I wouldn't worry much about the consequences of changing an address, but I might change the address to an easily-accessible post office box (USPS or private), then either pick up or pay a fee to have incoming mail sent to me once a week. Then, eventually closing the POB essentially ends the trail for anyone who wants to follow it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom