Age 59 and more than ready! (Update from 2017 and 2019 posts)

Travis Bickle

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hi All -

So - a couple of years have passed since my last post in this forum, and I once again want to share current thinking with this group who have been so super helpful in the past. The advice here has been essential to help me understand planning for retirement and I'm excited that (maybe) the time is close at hand.

My original two posts were:

"55 and Close To Ready" - August 2017

"56 and Still Close to Ready" - May 2018

Updated situation:

Personal Situation:
59 years old
Current Income about $175K + 30% target bonus (bonus can vary between 10 and 40% depending on company performance) ~$227k
Assoc. Director in a Large Pharma Company
Two daughters 21 and 22 years old - One Senior in final semester and one junior
Still very tired of the corporate grind and ready to go now. Vacations are never, ever long enough and the last half of every one is dread about having to go back to work. Sometimes I suffer anxiety and mild depression, but nothing too serious yet and I control via meditation and medication. (This is a change from 2018 where I was controlling with meditation alone - a therapist is the one who guided me towards a better solution using combo of CBT and low dose of Prozac, and I am much better off mentally than a year ago.)

I am still considered a high performer, but that's not always a good thing because lots of stuff comes my way. I've been able to avoid the types of work I really hate and what I am doing now is semi-satisfying, but I still am very tired of "the bosses" and the ever shifting corporate BS that can make it hard to just do your work.

Have plenty of hobbies and interests outside of work. Not worried at all about not working. I'm looking forward to exercising more, losing some weight, doing some volunteering, and maybe do some part time consulting work (I know I will be in demand) or another part time gig of some sort.

I have requested from HR the retirement packet with a leave date of May 31, but nothing is final until I sign and return it and so my final decision is still not made fully.

Current Savings/Retirement Income:

$1.92M in Fidelity 401k - maintaining about 30%bonds/70%Stock Index Funds.

I can receive a pension in one of two ways:

- Lump sum upon retirement of $1.65M
OR
- Annuity of $79k/year (with %66 survivor annuity for wife if/when I croak before her)
~$50k cash
$25k in ROTH IRA (over the income limit to add more)

Have stock options for 3 years worth about $70k total at time of retirement plus a final year bonus of ~$40k
If I retire, I am eligible to withdrawal from 401k before 59 1/2 without penalty.
Social Security projection is $66k/year (me + spousal) if I delay taking it until age 70.
My wife has a part time job at the school making ~$11k/year and is enjoying it. I expect she may eventually get more hours the longer she works there.

Current Expenses:

I have been tracking expenses in detail since early 2019, and it's tracking at about $120k (not including college expenses for daughters) with about $85k of that being "Essential Expenses" and the rest "Discretionary" (such as vacations, dining out, entertainment, etc.)

College expenses have been covered by 529's and bonuses and we are done with oldest daughter. One more year to go with youngest daughter, but we expect to have enough for her from current 529's balance plus about $20k from this spring's bonus for last year.

Oldest daughter accepted to PHD programs that are fully funded plus stipend. Younger daughter is also excellent student who will likely look at grad school. We have promised both that we will not cover any grad school tuitions, but will help them with living expenses as needed as well as wedding costs when/if that happens. My planning is ~$30k per year for next four years for living expenses and then $20k each for weddings farther out.

Expenses include $20k/year in mortgage that will be paid off in 2025

In retirement, I will be eligible for retiree HC benefits, which will make my health insurance about $3-$4k more than what I pay now - total of around $8-$9k/year for a family of 4. It's a good plan with low deductibles and preventive care covered 100%.

So - given all that I'm putting our expected expenses at $135k (plus the short term $30k per year for daughters) until mortgage is done, and then dropping by $21k. All expenses projected to grow 1.5% yearly.

Results of Various Calculators

Firecalc - %100 success with spending at $135k + the "one time" expenses for supporting daughters + drop in spending when mortgage goes

i-ORP - "Discretionary Income" (i.e. after taxes) spending of $117k per year with 4% growth per year.

Fidelity Retirement Planning says "Good to Go" with May 31 retirement date with "significantly below average" market performance. Same answer whether I take lump sum or annuity (they recently stopped giving the numeric ratings, but before they did I was at "134")

I also use a self-built excel spreadsheet to project spending vs. balances and am showing my money decreasing until SS kicks in, where it starts growing and ending at over $4M at age 100. I use a flat 4.2% growth (I got the 4.2% from reading something put out by John Bogle about what he thinks the future holds for growth). My model assumes an annual spending growth of 1.5% per year. (I recognize that this is less than projected inflation, but I figure our spending should slowly drop over time as well - especially considering that right now we are supporting a family of 4 adults).

Some questions for your consideration:

1 - Any concerns about readiness?

2 - Should I be concerned about the party pooper results from i-ORP? I was a little taken aback that that model has my spending lower than target for the first 4 years. Looking closer, their model was using a 4% growth in spending throughout the plan, whereas in firecalc and the Fidelity tool I was able to actually model in the higher front end spending, with lower spending later when daughters are off the books and mortgage is paid.

3 - I know from previous threads I would be better off with more after-tax cash on hand. However, we've mostly been focused on knocking out the college tuitions and making the 401k catch-up contributions. We've now stopped funding the 529's and are plowing that money into cash holdings at a rate of about $800 per month. The stock options and final prorated bonus I would receive at retirement should also help us build up the cash holdings after I retire. Now that I'm in my retirement year, should I stop funding the 401k once I make a final decision to definitely go?

4 - When I do retire and start taking withdrawals, would it make sense for me to take withdrawals up to the top of the 22% tax bracket ($175k for MFJ I believe) and do a Roth conversion on that to lower future taxes when RMD's kick in? I still need to learn about the Roth conversions, so if anyone can point to a good learning source for that it would be really helpful.

Thanks for any additional thoughts you might have and thanks once again to all the posters on these forums. An outstanding resource.

- Travis Bickle

If you are NOT retired, the Fidelity Retirement Planner will give you a score.

I was in a similar situation. My employer had been downsizing for a number of years. I wanted to leave with a package. I waited six-nine months and it came.

I had a heads up that it was coming well before it arrived. The package was substantial. It provided more than enough after tax dollars for several years of living expenses. Well past age 62 when my DB kicked in. So...if you employer is prone to early retirement packages or downsizing you might want to consider this. I would also suggest that you take the time to very clearly understand your DB pension. Especially any additional financial benefits that accrue as well as any financial penalties.

Do you really want to retire during covid? Why not wait until this scourge is past. It will give you time to focus on your post retirement plans. Especially if you want to travel.

We had no children at home or in post secondary at the time of retirement.

It has been nine years. Best thing I ever did was retire early. We have been very fortunate from a financial perspective. Sequence of returns has been very good to us. Inflation over the past 9 nine years has been one of the lowest numbers in decades.

Go while you have the health to enjoy it. In our case we downsized significantly and have spent our post retirement time often and for exptended periods to international destinations.

Do you really want to retire during covid? Why not wait until this scourge is past. It will give you time to focus on your post retirement plans. Especially if you want to travel.

Travel is still available. In fact, many destinations are nicer, as they are not crowded. For example, we just returned from Fairbanks. Lodges and activity providers are open and are thrilled to have your business. Same with diving in Honduras last fall, and our month in Puerto Rico. All of these were, by our standards, last minute trips, which is also nice.

All depends upon your risk assessment and comfort level. Given some of the destinations that we've enjoyed in the past, we don't see the current situation as being unduly concerning. Others, of course, will differ.

Travel is still available. In fact, many destinations are nicer, as they are not crowded. For example, we just returned from Fairbanks. Lodges and activity providers are open and are thrilled to have your business. Same with diving in Honduras last fall, and our month in Puerto Rico. All of these were, by our standards, last minute trips, which is also nice.

All depends upon your risk assessment and comfort level. Given some of the destinations that we've enjoyed in the past, we don't see the current situation as being unduly concerning. Others, of course, will differ.

Bingo, I don’t understand all the trepidation regarding COVID. For most, and assuming you are healthy, the vast, vast majority have little to nothing to fear with this virus. Now is the time to travel at a sizable discount without all the crowds. Can’t think of a better time to vacation frankly!! Now the elderly and/or those compromised may not be that fortunate, so I understand this isn’t a one size fits all approach. But likely is for 99%+.

It is no so much trepidation as it is the countries we prefer to travel to are closed to visitors.

In general you sound fine, you asked a question about Roth conversions but I didn't see that you told us how much is in a traditional IRA vs. Taxable?

Ok, that wasn’t clear and I understand if you like to travel parts of Europe or Canada. But there are a lot of countries, including much of the Caribbean that are open for business! When I hear the word “scourge” that doesn’t align with what you are saying now.

You have really done your homework.

We only get one chance at life, and everyone needs to grab the gusto as soon as it's possible.

MegaCorp retired me in 2008 when they overreacted to economic times. And they paid out the nose to send over 55 employees "to the house." I was well prepared mentally and fiscally, and have never looked back.

Go ahead and hang it up. Hopefully the world will reopen in the upcoming year or so. We too are world travelers, and hanging around the house is getting a little old. But we're healthy and getting shot #1 tomorrow.

You've worked in a high paced, high pressure environment, and you've earned to live on your terms.

You have really done your homework.

We only get one chance at life, and everyone needs to grab the gusto as soon as it's possible.

MegaCorp retired me in 2008 when they overreacted to economic times. And they paid out the nose to send over 55 employees "to the house." I was well prepared mentally and fiscally, and have never looked back.

Go ahead and hang it up. Hopefully the world will reopen in the upcoming year or so. We too are world travelers, and hanging around the house is getting a little old. But we're healthy and getting shot #1 tomorrow.

You've worked in a high paced, high pressure environment, and you've earned to live on your terms.
I concur 100%, the OP is good to go and obviously well organized and everything is buttoned up!!!

Does your $135K annual budget include taxes? If so, I'd say you're good to go! Having a pension at $79K, at being close to SS (even waiting to 70), puts you in really great shape. I wish I had a pension rather than fully funding with investments! Best wishes! Enjoy!

Sounds like you are good to go.
Don't become another OMY person who will regret it after they finally retire.

I was in a similar situation. My employer had been downsizing for a number of years. I wanted to leave with a package. I waited six-nine months and it came.

Congrats!! I've been waiting since 2015 for a package, and my company does occasionally make certain teams eligible for voluntary severance, but unfortunately that's not the case in the team I am in where there is a seen to be a critical shortage of subject matter experts like me. I see no scenario in the next 2-3 years where my role is identified.

From a portfolio risk standpoint, I feel pretty good due to the nature of my assets and I would likely shift the 401k balance to be a little more conservative until SS starts kicking in.

From a post-retirement plans standpoint, I can see your point. However, I do think with vaccines coming we will be in a better place come fall. I spent the past decade traveling to Europe for work, so no interest in getting there any time soon as I want to explore areas of the US I haven't been which should be much more possible later this year.

One other point is that the substance of my work has definitely changed for the worse due to Covid - and will probably stay that way. I am current working from home 100%, and while I do have an office I can go to if needed, it's in "open plan" form with everyone required to wear a mask. So - basically - noone goes to work unless they have to. In that sense, maybe it is time to hang it up as I don't see those restrictions easing for quite a while. The fun part of the job was the social interaction and bitching about stuff with friends over lunch. That part is gone.

In general you sound fine, you asked a question about Roth conversions but I didn't see that you told us how much is in a traditional IRA vs. Taxable?

The majority of my balance is currently in a 401k. I do have a small balance of $25k in a ROTH currently.

What I'm hoping to do (if possible) is start to convert some of the money in the 401k to ROTH IRA to reduce future tax hits from RMD's.

Last edited:
Does your $135K annual budget include taxes? If so, I'd say you're good to go! Having a pension at $79K, at being close to SS (even waiting to 70), puts you in really great shape. I wish I had a pension rather than fully funding with investments! Best wishes! Enjoy!

No - that's spending after taxes.

As I noted in the OP - I am over the recommended withdrawal when using i-orp (which had me at 117k the first year after taxes), but it has spending increasing by 4% per year when I know my spending will decrease due to daughters going off the payroll and mortgage paid off and we will certainly look to downsize at some point in the future.

The Fidelity planning tool has the 135k plus includes taxes and has us "good to go".

One thing I want to do is circle back to Firecalc again and re-run that one to see where the upper limit of me being at "100% probability" is. Haven't tested that bounds yet to account for taxes.

Regarding the annuity pension, it seems like the right move vs. lump sum just for the security as I know no matter what happens with the markets once SS kicks in and with the pension I can be in good shape for essential expenses. However, Fidelity said they can help me look at other annuity options with all or part of a lump sum once I have a definite plan to go.

If you are NOT retired, the Fidelity Retirement Planner will give you a score.

You are correct!

I realized in revisiting that the last time I had adjusted the retirement age was at age 59 (my age as of December), so it showed me as "retired" even though I haven't officially gone yet.

I adjusted this to "60" to see what my score would be (assuming retiring at end of this year) and my score was 147, which was nice to see and as high as I have ever seen it.

You are correct!

I realized in revisiting that the last time I had adjusted the retirement age was at age 59 (my age as of December), so it showed me as "retired" even though I haven't officially gone yet.

I adjusted this to "60" to see what my score would be (assuming retiring at end of this year) and my score was 147, which was nice to see and as high as I have ever seen it.

Max is 150+, soooooo you are okay.:dance:

Go for it .. that $1.65 M package looks nice + your $2 mil. You should be set.

You are READY....do it!

I think your final months at Megacorp will be more enjoyable as they begin moving work off you and transitioning it to others.

Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom