Agent Orange Never Quits, and Doesn't Discriminate

His regular military retirement pension. For some reason, from the time he was diagnosed with Alzheimers to the time the VA converted his pension from retired to disability, their tax man filed for the exemption. This was a 3 year window of time between the diagnosis and the disability award. This is what the IRS now says is now not being allowed and sent them a bill for the correction; 3 years worth of federal income taxes.

Oh I see. Sorry to hear that. By "their taxman", I assume you mean the person doing your taxes, or did the VA send a 1099 assuming it was exempt from taxation. If the latter, you could appeal arguing that it is not your fault. I have one other question if you don't mind answering. Is Alzheimers now considered a "presumed connection" to AO?

His regular military retirement pension. For some reason, from the time he was diagnosed with Alzheimers to the time the VA converted his pension from retired to disability, their tax man filed for the exemption. This was a 3 year window of time between the diagnosis and the disability award. This is what the IRS now says is now not being allowed and sent them a bill for the correction; 3 years worth of federal income taxes.

Skipro-

Sorry to hear about your brother’s diagnosis. Here is some info that may/should help.

1. Contact your VSO (link below) for help immediately. Use brother’s VSO if he’s in a different location; it’s easy to find and is typically by county.
https://www.edcgov.us/Veterans/

2. If your brother is in California, contact Cal Vet and use their website. They are very supportive.
https://www.calvet.ca.gov/

3. Contact Swords to Plowshares in San Francisco or Oakland; they’re fantastic advocates.
https://www.swords-to-plowshares.org/

4. The IRS is correct that normal “retired” pay is subject to tax. And, the earliest date of disability is typically the date of application, not the date of acquiring the disability. However, there is an appeal process to make disability status retroactive. Use the VSO whom you contact and/or Swords to Plowshares to navigate that process.

I do volunteer work in California to help Vets. I know the basics, but you need more expert help. Feel free to PM if you have others questions.

PM me if you want a contact FB page that's been set up to provide additional information.
OldGuy, can you post the link for the FB page or send it to me in a PM?

I'd also appreciate any other links to Guam's AO spraying history if they're available.

I made the usual submarine portcalls to Guam in 1990-92, and did a lot of diving during the upkeeps. Maybe my spouse and I need to reconsider our future SCUBA plans around there.

When I filed my VA disability claim in 2016, the VSO and I specifically checked for presumptive conditions linked to Guam. I was more interested in radiation but nothing came up for AO.

I'd also appreciate any other links to Guam's AO spraying history if they're available.

I made the usual submarine portcalls to Guam in 1990-92, and did a lot of diving during the upkeeps. Maybe my spouse and I need to reconsider our future SCUBA plans around there.

When I filed my VA disability claim in 2016, the VSO and I specifically checked for presumptive conditions linked to Guam. I was more interested in radiation but nothing came up for AO.
From his OP, I suggest you send him a PM as well.
please PM me for info on a facebook group that is advocating for those impacted.

Aloha, Nords -
Did you get my PM? Just checking...haven't seen your request to join the Group yet.

Aloha, Nords -
Did you get my PM? Just checking...haven't seen your request to join the Group yet.
Nope. I haven’t seen anything from you yet.

If PMs aren’t getting through then you could try e-mailing NordsNords at Gmail. And thanks!

Back
Top Bottom