Aiming for 2022 @ 56 YO

Bugeater

Dryer sheet aficionado
Greetings - been a long time reader and have enjoyed the threads - have learned a lot as I hone in on my plan.

As stated in title - aiming for 2022 exit at 56 yrs old. Have been planning for longer than I care to say (DW calls it an unhealthy obsession!).

Will have 33 yrs in with pension as an Engineer. Looking forward to the usual rec activities in retirement (fishing, boating, golf, biking, etc) - as well as domestic travel via 2-3 week trips (in yet to be purchased small travel trailer). We plan on relocating to an area with more fishing lakes that is still LCOL and within 3 hr drive of kids/grand-kids.

As typical of many here, I have mega-spreadsheets that I have created throughout the years - and have tracked expenses for the last 20 years.

Some facts:

Him: 54; DW: 53
Kids are all out the house and off my payroll. All done w/college - (state universities no debt for any of them)

Funds:

I know I've been too heavy on pre-tax but is what it is at this point. Will be converting more to ROTH.

401(k)/IRA : ~$865k
ROTH IRA: ~ $230k
Taxable: ~ $40k
House ~ $380k (about $90k left on mortgage)
Total NW: ~$1.4 M

Have a small amount of VL interest auto debt but will have that paid off by next summer and will not carry into retirement. Once we move - will downsize so will not have mortgage (or if we do - will be less than $50k which I'd pay off early but will keep an eye on tax brackets, i.e., pay off in roughly 5 yrs to minimize larger lump sum W/D).

Will likely convert IRA to ROTHs up to top of tax bracket from time of retirement to SS.

Overall Asset Allocation is ~ 70/30. I'd been 100% stock up till about 3 yrs ago, then started backing down some. I do have pension so my AA might be higher equity than if not. Still need to do some thinking on how I want to address that in retirement. Like the concept of Kitces bond tent - so may do a modified version of that - perhaps pre-fund age 56-62 withdrawals in safer investments and with an overall 60/40.

Expenses - very well tracked history and I've done the projections and sensitivity analysis for spending in retirement. Basically - my base expenses will be ~$60k per yr and my realistic expenses will be $93k per year. FIRECALC and other calculators put me at 100% for the realistic $. These numbers are all inclusive of taxes, medical, etc. Fully loaded. My retirement has healthcare as part of package (I continue to pay employee share throughout retirement).

Other income:

Pension: $ 55k for years 56-62, then ~$36k inflation adjusted from 62 on.

SS: Have used the Open Social Security tool and I plan on taking at age 70. Lower earning wife at 62 (I may not have her take then - but that is what the tool says) - More of my decision is based on maximizing her spousal should I die first - so may have her go to FRA (TBD). My numbers reflect me not having earned income from 56 to 62 (I used the detailed SS calculator)
SS: Me @ 70 ~$ 41k
SS: DW @ 62 ~$7k which increases to $14k for spousal when I file (per the tool)

I'm not a believer in using a set W/D rate as a single rate really doesn't tell the tale. I have calculated it per year and it ranges from mid 3%'s in first 6 yrs, then mid 5%'s from 62 to 70, then is essentially 0% as my projected income from pension and SS will cover expenses.

A few things I still need to think about - for example, my term life insurance expires next year - debating whether or not to get a 5 or 10 yr policy. My spreadsheet does have a tab where I evaluate what my wife will be left with for each age over 56, should I die. She will be OK. But I will probably price out some smaller policies to refine that decision.

That's about it for now! Thanks for the add and looking forward to being a short-timer and soon to be a "Less than 1 year" person!

Welcome to our wonderful site.
Sounds like you have everything in order financially.

Welcome to our wonderful site.
Sounds like you have everything in order financially.

Thanks. I'm trying to use this site to find out my "unknown unknowns" based on the experiences of the many contributors. I have a tendency to get locked into my own line of thinking so it is good to have different perspectives.

good job. The pension looks good - you have some money to spend on the grandkids

Good plan and it very much mirrors my situation. I’m a retired engineer as of May 2020 after a 33 year career. A good pension, health care covered by my former employer and a modest portfolio made retirement at 56 y.o. happen.

For the couple years before retirement we tracked expenses on a very big spreadsheet. Was reassuring to have hard date that pension and portfolio income would cover expenses. As an engineer, needed all that expenditure and income data as part of the decision-making process.

Good luck with retirement planning and once you make the leap enjoy. Four months into retirement for us and it’s awesome beyond our expectations.

For the couple years before retirement we tracked expenses on a very big spreadsheet. Was reassuring to have hard date that pension and portfolio income would cover expenses. As an engineer, needed all that expenditure and income data as part of the decision-making process.

Good luck with retirement planning and once you make the leap enjoy. Four months into retirement for us and it’s awesome beyond our expectations.

Thanks for the feedback! I think the hardest part will be that transition from analysis paralysis to "you got this"!

Congrats on your retirement!

First, congrats on retirement planning.

Now onto the financials.
If you will make 55K/year then to reach your "realistic spending of 93K" a year, you need another 38k (that's taxable so actually you need more like 45K).

Also your 55K pension is taxable in many states.

Getting 45K from your IRA's & Roth seems challenging in the current economic environment without risking your assets.

Clearly you can easily cover your base 60K expenses. :)

Having said all this, I retired with about the same net worth but the wife is still working. She will pull the plug at 58 or 60.
Our base expenses are closer to 50K (no mortgage) and realistic expenses closer to 76K.
However, some remodeling each year (windows, bathrooms, kitchen, ect..) is pushing that up to 86K.

We are not drawing from the IRA's yet, so a market downturn is still recoverable for us at this point.

I'm of the thought that if there is a possibility to retire then take it. I liked my job but I have many interests, working is not one of them :).

Good luck

Last edited:
I am also a retired engineer and had similar kind of situation to yours. My pension is smaller, but also lower expenses; and have some employer retiree medical that provides good insurance at an acceptable cost. Same issues for me where I have too much pre tax vs after tax. Not a bad problem, just a tax problem. I don't count my house as anything except in a total net worth sense, because my money each month comes from income producing sources. House is where I live and owning free and clear has lower expenses.

My biggest suggestion is to become debt free on mortgage and any other credit. Once you have that, the peace of mind is nice and you need less each month. DW and I have a big motorhome and enjoy taking longer trips now that we are retired. It is something you need to evaluate and decide if RVing is for you. When you look at overall expenses, it doesn't really save money vs car and hotels (can be little less, but generally about equal), but it does allow us to go places and stay where it is not possible with hotels. Also having my own bed and full frig is great. You didn;t mention it, but the RV enables you to take pets along real easy.
I think you seem pretty good shape in your plans, just beware of discretionary vs fixed expenses in your budget and have some flexibility to cut back if required. Since you have decent pension income, I agree you can stay pretty high equities. I do the same, target 70/30 nominal allocation. Retirement is great, you will do fine.

Thanks 38Chevy454 and workmyfingerstothebone for the feedback. All debt except the small remaining mortgage will be paid before I retire. My expenditures will likely be less than $93k - as that #has LOTs of discretionary $ in so in down years will throttle back and just go fishing more (already have the boat!). If I move to about 55/45 AA or so entering retirement, the 45 would be more than enough to fund the monies needed to get to age 70, at which time Pension plus SS would fund 100% of the $93k and the equities would not be touched during those 14 years so would grow as well. Essentially, this would be a rising equity approach, ala Kites Bond tent.

Now onto the financials.
If you will make 55K/year then to reach your "realistic spending of 93K" a year, you need another 38k (that's taxable so actually you need more like 45K). My $93k includes taxes both state and federal

Also your 55K pension is taxable in many states. Current state does not tax pension - new state has partial tax - I've included worst case in my $93k

Looking forward to learning more of everybody's experiences and thoughts on future topics!

In regards to term insurance, check the financial situation if you were to pass when your financial depend heavily on your pension. Not sure if the pension is 100% joint survivor or not.
As a strategy in case of pass, sometimes is financially better to take single life in the pension (higher pension payment) and use a portion of the pension payment to cover term insurance premium. The challenges is that now your spouse needs to deal with converting that lump sum into a regular income at a time that you are not there to help.
Easier if pension payment just continue after you pass

In regards to term insurance, check the financial situation if you were to pass when your financial depend heavily on your pension. Not sure if the pension is 100% joint survivor or not.
As a strategy in case of pass, sometimes is financially better to take single life in the pension (higher pension payment) and use a portion of the pension payment to cover term insurance premium. The challenges is that now your spouse needs to deal with converting that lump sum into a regular income at a time that you are not there to help.
Easier if pension payment just continue after you pass

So the pension survivor portion should I pass is 50%. I had initially thought about your idea I'm buying term life and not doing the survivor benefit however there is spousal health insurance that is part of the pension benefit. So in some respects I don't have much choice there as I want to have the health insurance continue after my passing. I did do an evaluation of just my DW financial situation for each year from retirement to her age 95. She would never run out of money, however I am still thinking maybe getting a 10-year policy just to provide a little additional cushion in the event I were to pass early.

Back
Top Bottom