Amended tax return stuck in no mans land.

heeyy_joe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I recharacterized 2014 Roth IRA contributions in 2015 and filed an amended return in August, confirmed (web) as received by IRS in September 2015. I made a mistake on the filing (duh!):facepalm:. The web notice says to call their number and extension and have a copy of my tax return available. Yet when I call they can only tell me it has been assigned to someone but can't tell me who or pass along any information or provide any guidance other than wait. Really?

Anyone on this site ever have a similar experience? How can I shake this loose so I can get the correct refund due? At what point do I attempt to send in correct amended return? And must this be cleared up before filing a 2015 return?

....And must this be cleared up before filing a 2015 return?

I don't think so, but if your 2014 amended return changed any carryforwards then the fact that the amended return hasn't yet been processed might cause some red flags, but it the only change was to amend your IRA distributions then probably not a problem.

I filed an amended 2013 return in October of 2014 after I received a corrected 1099. It took them until December of 2015 to send me my check. At least they paid interest!

I would be surprised if it were assigned to someone.... they usually are a year behind any returns filed... if you get a notice sooner than that it is computer generated....

File your 2015 as if your amended return was correct... if something else changes you can amend it... if not, then it will be filed correctly...

Back
Top Bottom