AMEX Security Loop

Dog

Full time employment: Posting here.
DH and I have AMEX cards through Costco membership. We recently changed our mailing address to our future retirement home (I spend about 60% of my time there). I tried to change the mailing address for AMEX cards online, but got a message that we needed to call to change our mailing address. There wasn't an immediate need as we don't plan on permanently moving until next year. However, last week I got a call from police that mail was stolen from our mailbox and many of our neighbors. Luckily all bills and financial mail is sent our future home that has a locking mailbox. This lit a fire to get the remaining bill (AMEX) switched to our new address.
Last week I called AMEX to start the process. Answered all questions, but because I wasn't calling from the phone number they have on our account they said they could not change the address. I also had to get DH on the line to approve the change since the account is in his name. Still would not change address so I asked to speak to a manager - I was placed on hold indefinitely and finally hung up.
I assumed the number they had on the account was from our primary address. So, yesterday I had DH call from our primary home to change address. He answered all the same questions. But, the number they had on the account did not match the number he was calling from. He asked what number they had. They wouldn't give the number but did say it was a number in NC ( we live in WA state). So, he was told that he can't change mailing address. After discussing this for several minutes he asked to cancel the card and account. He was told he couldn't cancel account because phone numbers didn't match! He told the Rep that we would discontinue using the card and asked that they not mail anymore statements. The Rep said a monthly statement would still be mailed (no option was given for just electronic statement). The Rep suggested hanging up and calling in again and possibly the auto attendant would help resolve the situation:confused:?
So, DH did that....no option was given to change address on auto attendant . However, this time he got a different Rep. He explained what he was trying to do. She said, I can take care of that no problem. She knew how to work around the system to fix. She said we were caught in a security loop. She also fixed the phone number on our account and added a password.
It took her 5 minutes. DH and I had spent at least 15 minutes each on the phone with AMEX.
I managed call centers for years and if one of our reps ran into a problem on an account they were to get a lead rep on the call or a supervisor to help figure out how to assist the customer. In extreme cases, we would take contact information and let the customer know we would troubleshoot the issue and get back to them with a resolution. I guess that's a thing of the past. Now I guess it is a matter of calling until you get someone that knows how to help.
Sigh.....

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Dog,
I feel your pain. No idea how some companies stay in business based on the experience they provide after your a customer. I have my list of companies that I hate to contact, 70%+ they provide no value to the solution of an issue.

The 35th time my ISP tells me there's nothing wrong with their service the problem has to be my non supported action-tec modem. Non supported my butt, for $79.95 an hour, they're happy to support it. Thanks id10t, the modem isn't the problem it's your service just like it's been the last 35 major rainstorms we've had! You seem to know I've called before on this same issue, why not read all the prior resolutions. How hard can that be?

Of course the other way to change an address is to fill the form on the back of the bill and mail it in. Or even send in a USPS change of address card. (All old fashioned I know but...)

I always did my AMEX changes of address online after logging into my account. No problems. It does send notification to the prior address which is a good thing.

It can be frustrating, but requiring primary owner of account, and requiring calls from the phone number on record are good precautions to take. Most institutions have additional security questions to ask if phone number is different, but credit cards may not have social security numbers or drivers license as part of the account info.

Last edited:
Now I guess it is a matter of calling until you get someone that knows how to help.
Sigh.....
What a hassle. Good thing you got it resolved. I fully agree with your last statement and on occasion do the same, with the same outcome. Companies are trying too hard to save money, in cases like these they are cutting back where it needs to be spent - things like training and floor supervisors.

Of course the other way to change an address is to fill the form on the back of the bill and mail it in. Or even send in a USPS change of address card. (All old fashioned I know but...)

Filling out a form on back of envelope was not an option for AMEX. I do appreciate their security precautions, but it was clear to the first Rep My husband spoke to that the situation needed resolution, but none was offered.

Our fallback was going to be a USPS address change, but we really wanted it corrected at the source.

Audrey, I did change online a couple of months ago, but they kept mailing to old address - required a call to actually change address.

Oh well....its taken care of now (we hope).

Filling out a form on back of envelope was not an option for AMEX. I do appreciate their security precautions, but it was clear to the first Rep My husband spoke to that the situation needed resolution, but none was offered.

Our fallback was going to be a USPS address change, but we really wanted it corrected at the source.

Audrey, I did change online a couple of months ago, but they kept mailing to old address - required a call to actually change address.

Note my gold card statement includes the change of address form on the back of the payment coupon, as do all of my other credit card statements. The downloaded statements also include the form.
It appears that the USPS has discontinued the old cards that you sent to tell business and folks your new address, although one could probably generate and print one out. There are a number of services on the web that provide such cards for a fee. (or some are free)
Of course a lot of folks on the web are happy to manage the service for a fee, which may be why the pushback. (All be it I have not moved in 10 years and then it was 28 years earlier that I did so, so things have changed)

That online change should have worked. Obviously their system got messed up somewhere.

Audrey1, I thought I could change the address of the account online also. However, there is a comment by the billing address online that states you need to call into AMEX to change billing address. So even though I changed address online, it still required a call. I guess it is a security precaution.
My other accounts allowed me to do it online.

The address change on back of statement requires home phone number which they had incorrect in our records, so I'm guessing that would have not worked either.

Oh well...I'll know it is resolved when I get the bill at the new address :)

If it makes you feel any better, last week my Citibank app asked for my mother's maiden name, which it had never done before. I typed it in, and it gave me an error, twice. So I called. The first person I talked to asked me for my mother's maiden name and she said it didn't match, and had the audacity to ask me "do you have another mother's maiden name"? What does that even mean? She wouldn't tell me what they had. She told me I had to go to a branch to straighten it out. WHAT:confused:??

I waited a few hours and called again. This person not only told me that they just didn't have any maiden name on file, but she updated my records and unlocked my app, which had locked in the meantime, so it would work again. She also verified with me all of the other data on the account so that it wouldn't happen again. No branch visit required.

If it makes you feel any better, last week my Citibank app asked for my mother's maiden name, which it had never done before. I typed it in, and it gave me an error, twice. So I called. The first person I talked to asked me for my mother's maiden name and she said it didn't match, and had the audacity to ask me "do you have another mother's maiden name"? What does that even mean? She wouldn't tell me what they had. She told me I had to go to a branch to straighten it out. WHAT:confused:??

I waited a few hours and called again. This person not only told me that they just didn't have any maiden name on file, but she updated my records and unlocked my app, which had locked in the meantime, so it would work again. She also verified with me all of the other data on the account so that it wouldn't happen again. No branch visit required.

Lesson Learned: Ask to speak to a supervisor.

......she said it didn't match, and had the audacity to ask me "do you have another mother's maiden name"? What does that even mean? .......

Mother's maiden name is like SSN. I don't use it for security question, but use 'another mother's maiden name' instead. As she asked that question of you, I would guess that I'm not the only one doing this.

Mother's maiden name is like SSN. I don't use it for security question, but use 'another mother's maiden name' instead. As she asked that question of you, I would guess that I'm not the only one doing this.
To boot if your mother has died it is essentially public info. Look at the obituary, it contains her maiden name and likely your name and the city you live in. So its not a very private item particularly for older folks. For folks older than 72 to 82 (depending on the year born) the then public census information will also tell this.

Received a confirmation letter yesterday from AMEX that our billing address was changed.
Hmmm...sent the confirmation to our old address, so we shall see :)

Received a confirmation letter yesterday from AMEX that our billing address was changed.
Hmmm...sent the confirmation to our old address, so we shall see :)

They do that now as a security measure. No doubt the letter tells you what to do if you did not want the change of address. I believe this has been in place for at least 10 years.

Yes, most places send a confirmation letter to the old address. This lets someone know if somehow it was changed without their authorization.

Same with email changes.

Cool....I'll relax about it then.

Back
Top Bottom