An Odd Way of Tracking Portfolio?

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've recently added a few more columns to my 42,132 tab Excel sheet that tracks my portfolio. :cool:

Because I was always paid by the week, I now also track my YTD, 1, 3, 5, 10 and 15 year performance into what it means as a weekly 'paycheck' (recognizing that that is different from my SWR). Performance in dollars divided by 52.

Interestingly--or as expected, the numbers are fairly close, steady and repeatable year to year but there seems to be some comfort in looking at a manageable, repeating number.

I know it's a bit lame, but at the same time, in times of high volatility like now, I think: "It's ok...you've been averaging $X a week for the past 15 years".

Anyone else do something similar or am I (as I often suspect) the weirdo with too much time on my hands and a computer?

And yes, I know that "past performance does not guarantee future results"

I'm retired and have better things to do. When I was working I didn't have the time. :D

Sounds too much like work.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sounds too much like work.

Creating a few columns on a spreadsheet is actually pretty easy and only takes about a minute.

I only plan to check this data point once or twice a year as a reference.

Last edited:
Creating a few columns on a spreadsheet is actually pretty easy and only takes about a minute.

I only plan to check this data point once or twice a year as a reference.

I was just kidding. I use a spreadsheet too. Quarterly I look at my net worth. Monthly I log how much I've spent in my checking account (difference between starting and ending balances without details) and replace the spent cash to bring the balance back up to the $20k starting point for each month. I don't worry about the details unless spending trends higher than expected in a month. We typically average $5k/month except when the property tax is due or we book a trip.

I haven't done the weekly "paycheck" exercise, per se, but have probably done way too many other Excel calculations in my time.

You had me curious though. We're 5 weeks into the year so far. I'm up about $24,000. So, who-hoo, that's $4800 per week, YTD! :dance:

If only it would play out like that for the rest of the year...

**edit: roughly half of that $24K fell into my lap just yesterday. Oh, to make $12,000 per DAY...

Last edited:
I don't translate performance into a weekly paycheck. But I do have lots of columns on the portfolio tab with various datapoints for each holding, such as ER, duration, distributions, yield, and various historical and expected total returns. I have 16 ETFs, so updating these data a couple times per year is quite simple. Then, every time I update the portfolio values, which is at least once per month, I have updated weighted averages for these other parameters as well. Some of this is utilized in other parts of the retirement model that deal with withdrawal strategy and future taxes.

Back
Top Bottom