Andrew Luck just FIRE’d

The real karmic payback was when the Colts left

Of course, this is the same franchise that packed up and left Baltimore in the middle of the night all those years ago. So maybe it is football karma for the owners.

The often-forgotten backstory was that, negotations about upgrading the stadium having failed, the City of Baltimore was moving to confiscate the team under the doctrine of eminent domain.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/instit...d-to-use-eminent-domain-to-seize-an-nfl-team/

As Princess Leia said to Grand Moff Tarkin, "The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."

The often-forgotten backstory was that, negotations about upgrading the stadium having failed, the City of Baltimore was moving to confiscate the team under the doctrine of eminent domain.

Fans are supposed to be loyal to the team and players.
Owners and players do not have to be loyal to the fans.

Last edited:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/instit...d-to-use-eminent-domain-to-seize-an-nfl-team/

Interesting article, thanks for posting the link. The author concludes by stating: "Clearly, eminent domain can lead to unsportsmanlike conduct. The government should not be in the business of seizing for sport."

OTH, professional sports franchises, in their desire for new stadiums funded on the backs of taxpayers, should not be in the business of blackmailing local governments with threats of leaving town.

Talk about leaving money on the table...

Besides the $12.8 million in bonus money, Luck might have also lost out on up to $500 million in future earnings, at least that's the estimate from Colts owner Jim Irsay.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...etirement-might-have-lost-out-on-500-million/

The Colts can ask for a prorated part of his signing bonus back. I’ve seen his career earnings reported as $97 million so he may be ok to cover that!

Luck did his retirement in a way to garner maximum publicity. His father is CEO of the XFL launching in 2020. In 2022 Andrew Luck's contract will expire and he will be eligible to play in the XFL then, gives Mr Luck two years to get healthy. I fully expect to see him playing at age 31 for another 10 years in the XFL as their premier QB and face of the league.

As Princess Leia said to Grand Moff Tarkin, "The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."

Wow! I don’t think I’ve ever heard that full story. Thanks for posting. Seems to me Baltimore got what they deserved. Abuse of power can do that to you in the end.

Sad to see the reaction of some of the Colts fans, but smart of Luck to recognize it's time to leave rather than risk debilitating injuries. He is well educated, and I am sure he has quite a good portfolio to live very well. Plus, his father Oliver, is CEO of the XFL, so it will be interesting to see if Andrew gets involved in that league in some off field capacity.

Luck did his retirement in a way to garner maximum publicity. His father is CEO of the XFL launching in 2020. In 2022 Andrew Luck's contract will expire and he will be eligible to play in the XFL then, gives Mr Luck two years to get healthy. I fully expect to see him playing at age 31 for another 10 years in the XFL as their premier QB and face of the league.

The XFL bombed after one year the first time around, doubt it will be any different this time, it's not much more than a McMahon WWF gimmick. At best they will get old washed up NFL players or players that couldn't make an NFL team. I don't see how any XFL team could come close to paying Luck what he could earn in the NFL.

The XFL bombed after one year the first time around, doubt it will be any different this time, it's not much more than a McMahon WWF gimmick. At best they will get old washed up NFL players or players that couldn't make an NFL team. I don't see how any XFL team could come close to paying Luck what he could earn in the NFL.

I highly doubt he will ever play in the XFL. Why risk further injury for less than 1/10 of the income he was making in the NFL? WWE has nothing to do with the XFL. I do agree that the league will be made up of people who couldn't make an NFL roster but that's ok. I think it could be successful. It will start shortly after the Superbowl during the "dead zone" for sports. It will give sports fans something to watch between the Superbowl and March Madness. I like some of the rules beinf put in place like no criminal records. No more wife/girlfriend beaters who just get a slap on the wrist for example.
Also no kneeling. Players will stand for the National Anthem or they will not play or get paid. I know that was a proposed rule a while back, hopefully they kept it. I'll give the XFL a chance for the first season and see what happens.

The XFL bombed after one year the first time around, doubt it will be any different this time, it's not much more than a McMahon WWF gimmick.
Wait, you mean Major League Baseball last weekend was not the XLB? I mean, they had nicknames on the gimmick uniforms and all.

I literally had flashbacks to the XFL. What a bunch of crock. Play the game, don't give me "The Animal" for names.

This is a nice article explaining how Andrew Luck has many interests outside of football and probably won't ever be coming back -

"Even after he went to the NFL..He famously hung on to his flip phone and avoided social media....He gave a new definition to the term “cerebral quarterback” when he started a virtual book club at the behest of fans who heard him talk of his love for reading. ....The selections for August: Terry Pratchett’s "Nation," about refugees from opposite sides of the globe, and John Carreyrou’s "Bad Blood," which chronicles the rise and fall of Elizabeth Holmes and her fraudulent startup Theranos....Almost every offseason, Luck would return to Europe, where he’d spent most of his childhood while Oliver Luck ran the NFL’s offshoot there. He reveled in his anonymity there, as well as the opportunity to soak up Europe’s culture and history."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ack-retirement-indianapolis-colts/2126892001/

I heard from the inside Andrew Luck thought about facing the Cleveland Browns defense in the playoffs and thought he better retire LOL

Back
Top Bottom