another dumb Social Security question

Crabby Mike

Recycles dryer sheets
Sorry, I imagine this has been covered before, but my search skills are not finding it. Currently, DW and I are both collecting Social Security, me on my own benefit, and her on spousal from mine. The wrinkle: she was one of the last to be eligible (she was born in late 1953) for a now-eliminated loophole that let her collect spousal, while allowing her own benefit to grow. In November of this year she will turn 70 and switch to her own benefit, which will be larger than the spousal benefit she is now collecting.

The question is: how do we initiate this change? Do we need to file something, or will it be done automatically? I believe that when we first applied for her benefit, we had to put something in a comment field explaining what we wanted to do. I also recall a frustrating conversation with someone at SS who insisted that we were wrong, and this wasn't a thing, but somehow got to another person who understood. If I understand correctly, she can apply 3 months before her November birthday, which would mean August 1, so I'm eager to figure this out.

You need to initiate the process. Just go online and file and state in the comments she is filing for her own benefit to begin at age 70. That's what I did. Easy peasy.

Sorry, I imagine this has been covered before, but my search skills are not finding it. Currently, DW and I are both collecting Social Security, me on my own benefit, and her on spousal from mine. The wrinkle: she was one of the last to be eligible (she was born in late 1953) for a now-eliminated loophole that let her collect spousal, while allowing her own benefit to grow. In November of this year she will turn 70 and switch to her own benefit, which will be larger than the spousal benefit she is now collecting.

The question is: how do we initiate this change? Do we need to file something, or will it be done automatically? I believe that when we first applied for her benefit, we had to put something in a comment field explaining what we wanted to do. I also recall a frustrating conversation with someone at SS who insisted that we were wrong, and this wasn't a thing, but somehow got to another person who understood. If I understand correctly, she can apply 3 months before her November birthday, which would mean August 1, so I'm eager to figure this out.

File a new application. in the memo box type in changing from restricted to own benefit to start at age 70. You can also let them know if you want taxes withheld . I did this about 3 months before I was 70. Track. pr ogress in your social security account.

Last edited:
File a new application. in the memo box type in changing from restricted to own benefit to start at age 70. You can also let them know if you want taxes withheld . I did this about 3 months before I was 70. Track. pr ogress in your social security account.
That's what I am going to do. In the memo box I'm also going to add that I am filing on my own record at age 70 to receive the maximum amount of Delayed Retirement Credits.

I don't want anyone in the SSA to waste their time and mine with the "you can get a big lump sum amount right away... we'll just back date your application to when you were 69 1/2 years old" routine.

Thanks all for the help. After I posted, I also found an article I had saved a couple of years ago saying essentially the same thing. Glad my filing system is a little better than my memory!

:):):)
That's what I am going to do. In the memo box I'm also going to add that I am filing on my own record at age 70 to receive the maximum amount of Delayed Retirement Credits.

I don't want anyone in the SSA to waste their time and mine with the "you can get a big lump sum amount right away... we'll just back date your application to when you were 69 1/2 years old" routine.

:)

No social security question is dumb as far as I'm concerned.

Back
Top Bottom