antibiotics before dental work

Kayzmum

Recycles dryer sheets
Anyone need an antibiotic before dental work due to a history of joint replacements? Who writes your prescription? My husband's PCP has refilled it before but this time he denied the refill and said the dentist needs to write the prescription. I've worked in healthcare and have been told most dentists won't write the antibiotic prescription. Just curious what others have experienced.

I don't have specific info related to joint infections.
When I was working, the Dentists in our Health Dept. generally wrote the prescriptions

And any time I have needed antibiotics from a tooth infection, the dentist wrote the RX.

Maybe the distinction is for a pre existing health issue? Although, in our clinic, the dentists wrote them for those undergoing care who had a previous rheumatic heart disease.

The dentist does the prescriptions for my DW.

the orthopedic surgeon who did your surgery has the final say on whether you need prophylactic antibiotic coverage. if he/she says you do, then either they or your dentist can write the RX. that being said. the new guidelines for antibiotics has changed and you may not need them anymore.

I have leaky heart valves and discussed the guidelines with my dentist. We don't bother with antibiotics for cleaning or fillings but for the implants I get them. The oral surgeon usually gives me a little plastic bag with the appropriate number of pills and instructions. No prescription needed.

Last edited:
DH had knee replacement, his orthopedic surgeon recommended antibiotics before dental appointments, dentist writes the prescription. On the other had, orthopedic said DH did not did antibiotics for Mohs dermatology surgery.

After the first hip replacement the surgeon gave me a Rx for antibiotics for dentist visits - cleanings or anything else. After a couple years I called for a refill and they told me that I didn't need to take the antibiotic any more.

After the second hip replacement with a different surgeon I was given a Rx for antibiotic again, to take before dental procedures. This surgeon recommends taking the Rx forever. It's just 4 amoxicillan pills, no big deal so I will comply, forever.

At my last dental visit I asked the dentist for a new Rx. They gave me one, but it's for 4 pills per refill, where the Rx from the surgeon was 20 pills which is good for 5 dental visits. I think I'll call and get a Rx from the surgeon.

Had L4,5,S-1 back fusion a few years ago and for about 18 months afterwards had to take antibiotics (amoxicillin) prior to any dental work, even cleanings. From my understanding more of a prophylactic measure and my dentist called in the prescription.

My dentist gives me the antibiotic (Amoxicillin) and a small glass of water, in the waiting room while I wait for my dental appointment.

Antibiotics and dental work

In 2009 I had a 3-vessel CABG (coronary artery bypass graft) and my thoracic surgeon told me to take 2 grams (not milligrams, but grams) before dental cleaning and other dental work. My cardiologist has been prescribing me Amoxicillin since then with no problems. I have forgotten to take the Amoxicillin a few times and the dentist/dental hygenist gives me the Amoxicillin before working on me. I know my dentist buys Amoxicillin by the large bottle size and generic Amoxicillin costs like $.25 a pill so no big deal. I have been a patient of this dentist for over 20 years.

My dentist gives me the antibiotic (amoxycillin) and a small glass of water, just before my dental appointment.

the antibiotic should be taken 1 hour before the appointment.

My DW dentist(s) have written her prescription(s) for antibiotics several times over the years. Never heard of a MD/PCP writing a prescription for planned dental work.

it turns out it's now a controversial practice to use antibiotics like that.

I had a knee replacement in 2020, and the surgeon said I would need the prophylactic antibiotics. Because of the pandemic, I didn't go to the dentist again for over a year, and the dentist wrote a prescription. The next time, the Surgeon did. I had some crowns put in so it seemed a good thing to take the antibiotics. Then I looked up the references I linked here to so I'm not going to refill the prescription any longer for routine dental visits.

The ADA says "Compared with previous recommendations, there are currently relatively few patient subpopulations for whom antibiotic prophylaxis may be indicated prior to certain dental procedures." https://www.ada.org/resources/resea...ute/oral-health-topics/antibiotic-prophylaxis

Surgeons seem to have varying opinions. Here is a link to one that lines out his guidelines. https://watsonorthopaedics.com/anti...tal-procedures-after-hip-or-knee-replacement/ orthopaedic surgeon’

I have heart surgery to repair a birth defect about 18 years ago. Since then I have had to take an antibiotic before dental work. I can get a prescription from either my current dentist or my primary care physician. My previous dentist used to provide the prescription, but beginning in 2021 they stopped doing them without explanation. Our current dentist has no problem, in fact when they call a few days ahead of time to confirm the appointment they will ask if I need them to provide a prescription for the antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom