Any difference buying coverage from healthcare.gov or insurer?

Clover5

Recycles dryer sheets
Starting to make the move to ACA from Cobra to get new subsidy. When I look at either FloridaBlue or healthcare.gov they both include the new Recovery Plan subsidy. I thought you had to go with healthcare.gov to get subsidy? Seems easier to go direct with BCBS unless there is a downside.

We had Cobra, then private insurance, then ACA and now Medicare.
Our healthcare broker took care of it in every case so it was easy and they get paid by the insurance.

Starting to make the move to ACA from Cobra to get new subsidy. When I look at either FloridaBlue or healthcare.gov they both include the new Recovery Plan subsidy. I thought you had to go with healthcare.gov to get subsidy? Seems easier to go direct with BCBS unless there is a downside.

I’m quite certain that you need to sign up via healthcare.gov (or your state’s own ACA exchange, if it has one) in order to receive the an ACA premium tax credit subsidy. Yes, a broker can set it up for you, but they too need to do it via the exchange.

An individual purchasing directly from an insurance company cannot take advantage of the subsidy.

After quickly looking at the Floridablue website, it appears that they have created an integrated experience that allows you to start on their website and then it will display the healthcare.gov site for part of the application process, then return to Florida blue to complete the process. I guess that’s, ok. But be sure about it. If you aren’t properly registered on healthcare.gov, you won’t get the subsidy now or at tax time.

Last edited:
I’m quite certain that you need to sign up via healthcare.gov (or your state’s own ACA exchange, if it has one) in order to receive the an ACA premium tax credit subsidy. Yes, a broker can set it up for you, but they too need to do it via the exchange.

An individual purchasing directly from an insurance company cannot take advantage of the subsidy.

After quickly looking at the Floridablue website, it appears that they have created an integrated experience that allows you to start on their website and then it will display the healthcare.gov site for part of the application process, then return to Florida blue to complete the process. I guess that’s, ok. But be sure about it. If you aren’t properly registered on healthcare.gov, you won’t get the subsidy now or at tax time.

Much appreciated, I’ll go through healthcare.gov. I don’t want to risk the subsidy in any way.

Thanks

Our broker set it up for us on the ACA we didn't have to use healthcare.gov.
States may vary.

Our broker set it up for us on the ACA we didn't have to use healthcare.gov.
States may vary.

Licensed ACA brokers still use healthcare.gov (or your state’s exchange) via their own access portal. They just do the work for you. And that’s fine.

Last edited:
Called BCBSFL and the agent reiterated that I must go through healthcare.gov to get subsidy. It all worked really well, know the website had many issues to start but this was flawless.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom