Any entomologists on the board?

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Can anyone identify the name of this large beetle? (Hint: not George, Paul, John, or Ringo.) It was found in West Texas.

Attachments

• Beetle.jpg
    Beetle.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 32
Where in West Texas?!? I live in West Texas. :(

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The critters that exist in the south part of this country truly amaze me. I would call animal control if I saw one of those.

What's that saying? Everything is bigger in Texas.

Does that critter have mice for breakfast? :(

Is that a real ruler? Or it is internet inches?

A bug almost 6" long? Holy crap.

That ruler is the real deal.

My daughter took the photo because when she told me about the BAB (big @ss bug) she found in her yard last year, I didn't believe her. This year when one turned up she sent me a photo.

She swears the one she found last year was larger...

Cool bug. I was thrilled to find a rhinoceros beetle when I was in Ecuador. But DW wouldn't let me keep him as a pet. :blush:

I remember when I was a freshman in high school, we had a math teacher who was an older gentleman that was very cool.

After Thanksgiving break, he asked the class how our turkey days were. One kid said his family had a bird of X pounds, which was insanely large (not possibly real).

The teacher said, "hmmm, must have had a thyroid condition".

I don't know if that comment makes medical sense, but I thought it was funny!

It looks like a type of longhorn beetle. I don't think "giant beetle" is it's real name.

There is an enormous one from American Samoa, but I don't find it for TX. Did somebody's pet get loose?
a to z the usa: American Samoa Territorial Insect

There is one in the American Southwest that gets up to 3.5 inches. There is plenty of palo verde in West Texas, but your bug is bigger!
Derobrachus geminatus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try Welcome to BugGuide.Net! - BugGuide.Net for an identification.

Last edited:
OMG the dude in the youtube video picked it up ! I don't mind seeing large bugs but physical contact is a whole different ballgame

It looks like a type of longhorn beetle. I don't think "giant beetle" is it's real name.

There is an enormous one from American Samoa, but I don't find it for TX. Did somebody's pet get loose?
a to z the usa: American Samoa Territorial Insect

There is one in the American Southwest that gets up to 3.5 inches. Do you have any palo verde around?
Derobrachus geminatus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm convinced the "giant beetle" in the video and what my daughter has eating the roots of her trees is a palo verde beetle. Although she has no palo verde trees, the beetle apparently has a taste for other tree roots as well - which may account for the 'plus size' designation:

...a varied diet, including the Siberian elm, white and fruitless mulberry, various cottonwoods and, in the warmest desert areas, citrus.

Last edited:
Can anyone identify the name of this large beetle? (Hint: not George, Paul, John, or Ringo.) It was found in West Texas.
I think it's my brother in law. He's traveling on business and may be in that area.

Here's one option
Ingredients:

12 large grasshoppers or similar edible insect
1 large red bell pepper cut into chunks
1 white onion cut into wedges

(For the marinade)
½ cup fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1tsp honey
½ tsp fresh ginger (grated)
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp mixed garden herbs of your choice (eg rosemary, mint or thyme for a fresh summer feeling or oregano and basil for a more Mediterranean flavour)
¼ tsp salt
Pinch ground pepper

Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a glass bowl or baking dish. Add the insects, cover and leave in the fridge over night. When ready to cook remove the insects and gently pat them dry. Skewer the ingredients alternating between pepper, onion and insects so skewers are nicely arranged. Finally drizzle some olive oil over the kebabs and cook a few inches above a fire for just under 10 minutes, or alternatively under the grill turning regularly until allt he ingredients are a golden brown and crispy.
What a tasty marinade, it'll probably go well with the citrus diet. :)

Last edited:
Maybe you can find your beetle in my collection:

Attachments

• insectarium.JPG
    insectarium.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 18
Here's one option
What a tasty marinade, it'll probably go well with the citrus diet. :)
The recipe leaves out a step, but perhaps it's optional.

Some people prefer to "de-wing" the bugs and pick off the legs to spare the guests the trouble later, similarly to grilling shelled vs. in-the-shell shrimp.

PS. And as always, a bit of variation to the recipe may be good for a personalized touch. I can see how one may want to add balsamic vinegar, or Worcestershire sauce. Or how about an Oriental approach with soy sauce, then kick it up a notch with Rooster sauce, served sprinkled with chopped peppermint instead of basil? My, the only limitation is one's imagination. Stuffed them with peanut, or pistachio? Don't get me started here.

Last edited:
Yikes! It looks nasty. I wonder if it could be fed to the rattlesnake that I encountered today on a short hike.

I'm convinced the "giant beetle" in the video and what my daughter has eating the roots of her trees is a palo verde beetle. Although she has no palo verde trees, the beetle apparently has a taste for other tree roots as well - which may account for the 'plus size' designation:
Yeah - and once I noticed West Texas - there is probably some palo verde around anyway - we even have some down here. But as you note - it'll happily eat other stuff!!

Yikes! It looks nasty. I wonder if it could be fed to the rattlesnake that I encountered today on a short hike.

I'm sure the snake would be delighted. What do you think young (small) snakes eat?

Back
Top Bottom