Any input on NC? Other possible re-location suggestions? Have a few requirements

If retiring, then it's Pinehurst which is about 80 miles south of Raleigh, by all measures other than availability of jobs (with exception of medical jobs) its a great place to live.
TJ

Are you kidding me? Traffic?!? You don't know from traffic. DW and I laugh out loud every day when we watch the morning "rush hour" TV traffic cam. There are so few cars its silly, even funny, to have a traffic segment on tv. Crime... thats another story.

Hey, it is still traffic. Go sit at the Military Cutoff Rd/Eastwood Rd intersection for 10 minutes about 7:30 am on a workday and get back to me! Or drive from where you are up College Rd to Market St. at 7:30 am or 5:15 pm. ;)

You think you've seen real traffic? Go to Calcutta or any other "developing" city/country and that will make all US traffic look like a Sunday drive.

I live in Raleigh and work in RTP (Pharma). I doubt you will find anything in the area for $120k price range, even in the "ghetto" area, even the "ghetto" is in the $150-$180 range and most are rented out. You may find a townhouse for cheaper, but no land, HOA, ect.

We live in a nice Midtown Raleigh outside of the beltline and lots are from .33-.5 acres, built anywhere from 1970s-1980s, from 1600-2900 sq.ft, and run in the range of $250k-$350k. Prior to the housing collapse it was no less than $300k. Times are changing and realestate is coming down at a rapid pace and have seen some houses going for $220 at rock bottom/give away prices.

Midtown in Raleigh has seen a huge boom, but there is still some areas that are still in the high 100s to low 200s in Clayton, FV, and south of Raleigh.

I love Raleigh and so does my family. We visit the beach a few times a year and have family that lives in Wilmington. We prefer Myrtle Beach, SC vs. Wilmington though and is only an hour or so further. Raleigh has a small town feel but is a large city. Traffic is not too bad and we do not have to travel much since everything is right around the corner.

I work in Durham/Morrisville (RTP) and my wife works for Duke Health. We both hate Durham and Durham County. Neither of us can stand when we have to drive into Durham to even visit good friends.

We live in a nice district and have our kids in a great school system. I have absolutely no complaints about the area and plan on living here until we both retire and either move to the beach, buy a good deal of land up, and/or both including keep our house in Raleigh.

Last edited:
I live in Raleigh and work in RTP (Pharma). I doubt you will find anything in the area for $120k price range, even in the "ghetto" area, even the "ghetto" is in the $150-$180 range and most are rented out. You may find a townhouse for cheaper, but no land, HOA, ect.

We live in a nice Midtown Raleigh outside of the beltline and lots are from .33-.5 acres, built anywhere from 1970s-1980s, from 1600-2900 sq.ft, and run in the range of $250k-$350k. Prior to the housing collapse it was no less than $300k. Times are changing and realestate is coming down at a rapid pace and have seen some houses going for $220 at rock bottom/give away prices.

It's funny how we are practically neighbors but seem to live worlds apart. I live in what I would describe as a "gentrifying" neighborhood also in Midtown Raleigh (probably a couple miles east of you). Most of the houses in this neighborhood sell for $130-160k. Every once in a while a really small non-updated house will sell for under $100,000, and I am aware of one listed now for $200,000 that probably won't sell. But that is roughly the range. I certainly wouldn't consider it the ghetto, but then again I'm biased by living here! :D

I just went to realtor.com and searched on zip code 27604 for houses 1,800 sf and up and between $140,000 and $180,000. 23 results. 27604 real estate & 27604 homes for sale | Single family homes,Condos,Townhomes,Co-ops - REALTOR.com® Any of which I would live in. A number are from my neighborhood.

Drop the square footage down some (if you don't need 4 bedrooms and 1800-2500 sf) and you can get less expensive houses.

It's funny how we are practically neighbors but seem to live worlds apart. I live in what I would describe as a "gentrifying" neighborhood also in Midtown Raleigh (probably a couple miles east of you). Most of the houses in this neighborhood sell for $130-160k. Every once in a while a really small non-updated house will sell for under $100,000, and I am aware of one listed now for $200,000 that probably won't sell. But that is roughly the range. I certainly wouldn't consider it the ghetto, but then again I'm biased by living here! :D

I just went to realtor.com and searched on zip code 27604 for houses 1,800 sf and up and between $140,000 and $180,000. 23 results. 27604 real estate & 27604 homes for sale | Single family homes,Condos,Townhomes,Co-ops - REALTOR.com® Any of which I would live in. A number are from my neighborhood.

Drop the square footage down some (if you don't need 4 bedrooms and 1800-2500 sf) and you can get less expensive houses.

:blush: Just goes to show the last time I was home shopping. We live within' walking distance of N. Hills mall. Not far at all from you! :D

:blush: Just goes to show the last time I was home shopping. We live within' walking distance of N. Hills mall. Not far at all from you! :D

Yeah I figured you were in close proximity to N Hills based on what you get for the money! ;) I mean that in the best way - it is a nice area and has "gentrified" well. But there is definitely a premium to be paid to live there.

I wouldn't be surprised though if your neighborhood and my neighborhood shared some of the same schools, since I know part of my n'hood gets sent over that way right now. Of course this may all change with the newly elected school board.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom