Any problems claiming spousal Social Security, if married outside the United States?

cyber888

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was wondering if anyone here married outside the US decades ago and claimed spousal social security (both US citizens now), did you have any problems or complications claiming social security for your wife or hubby ? Any problem with documents ?

My case - wife and I married outside the US decades ago, so our marriage certificate is foreign. We have been US citizens for decades. We recently went to my local county and ask if we can also get married in the United States too. They said "No, you're already married", as they saw the same family name in our US passport and driver's license. They say that the only way we can get married in the US is we divorced and then got married again.

Following.
I think you'll be fine but when it's time for me to file, I'll certainly want them to check my former spouse's benefits just on the off chance that his are higher than mine. We were married in the UK and divorced in this country but I have both documents for proof. I should probably look for them to be sure though.
Here is what the website says you might need.

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-2.html

No idea, but probably no problem as the Passport office accepted it.
As long as you lived in the US with your spouse for 5 years, I'm confident you are fine.

Since even non citizen nor green card holder spouses living outside the US can be eligible, the rules seem pretty broad.

Best not to divorce and marry, as your spouse might just have second thoughts once divorced and free ;)

Following.
I think you'll be fine but when it's time for me to file, I'll certainly want them to check my former spouse's benefits just on the off chance that his are higher than mine. We were married in the UK and divorced in this country but I have both documents for proof. I should probably look for them to be sure though.
Here is what the website says you might need.

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-2.html

I don't remember if the rules changed, as it didn't apply to me.

I recall divorced folks could apply for SS based on ex-spouse , and not claim their own, letting it build up to age 70, then switch to their own as it was higher at age 70.

Instead of just waiting to age 70 to get their own benefit at the max.

Just have to be clear to SS you are NOT applying for your own.

I recall divorced folks could apply for SS based on ex-spouse , and not claim their own, letting it build up to age 70, then switch to their own as it was higher at age 70.

Exactly.
I don't think he has applied yet, I'll have to figure out a way to bring up the subject with the kids to see if he has. I tried to look it up a few years ago when he was 62 and it asked what date he applied so I dropped the ball at that point.
To be honest I imagine my benefit will be more than his anyway. He screwed me over in the divorce with no alimony, so i doubt he'll help me with a lift in the social security check either.
Just as well I don't need it. :LOL:

You’ll be fine. You just need a certified copy of the marriage certificate. If it is in a foreign language, SSA will have it translated.

We married outside of the US and just claimed SSB last year using foreign language marriage certificate with English translation and notary done when applying for the Green Card. No question was asked and everything went smoothly. Hope it helps your case.

Exactly.
I don't think he has applied yet, I'll have to figure out a way to bring up the subject with the kids to see if he has. I tried to look it up a few years ago when he was 62 and it asked what date he applied so I dropped the ball at that point.
To be honest I imagine my benefit will be more than his anyway. He screwed me over in the divorce with no alimony, so i doubt he'll help me with a lift in the social security check either.
Just as well I don't need it. :LOL:

I think you can apply without him knowing or having applied, because otherwise people would screw over their ex by not applying themselves.

You will need proof of marriage and divorce, as long as you were married 10 years or more it should be good to go. Worth Phoning them.

We married outside of the US and just claimed SSB last year using foreign language marriage certificate with English translation and notary done when applying for the Green Card. No question was asked and everything went smoothly. Hope it helps your case.

That's great.

I was going to try this years ago but we were divorced after 9 years and 9 months. There are a few other stipulations but I didn't bother looking any further since you had to have been married for at least 10 years. :D

Cheers

It sounds like you won't have a problem, but if you have plans to travel to Hawaii anytime beforehand.......

DH and I participated in a vow renewal when we stayed at the Outrigger in Honolulu for our 40th anniversary. It was done on the beach and we received a State of Hawaii marriage certificate, signed, witnessed and stamped at the end. I wasn't expecting that we would get that.

It sounds like you won't have a problem, but if you have plans to travel to Hawaii anytime beforehand.......

DH and I participated in a vow renewal when we stayed at the Outrigger in Honolulu for our 40th anniversary. It was done on the beach and we received a State of Hawaii marriage certificate, signed, witnessed and stamped at the end. I wasn't expecting that we would get that.

wow that's great. I have to think about that.

wow that's great. I have to think about that.

I don't think you have to do that. If you have a certified copy or the original government copy that should do it...

You will be asked for documents. I was born a US citizen in England to an active Army duty Dad. I needed to take extra documentation when applying for a spousal. I've had a us passport since I was 3 year old and still needed additional paperwork.

Back
Top Bottom