Any students here?

vickko

Dryer sheet aficionado
Any students here?

Anyone returned to university?

I am, and with a lot less direction / focus than when I first did my career undergrad degree.

Sometimes, the loss of direction bothers me.

How are you doing in your current studies?

V

Not recently, but I went back twice for advanced degrees. My experience was exactly the opposite -- I had way more focus and direction than my undergrad years. That made the later experiences far more enjoyable.

I'm not taking courses right now. But when I first retired I started taking some courses at the local JC. I took several art courses (I'm an EE by training) including drawing, figure drawing, color theory, painting. Also took French classes -- got good grades but have no natural ability in languages. Went to France but didn't speak to the natives much in French, they did better in English. Also took a field botany class.

I found that the night courses were more mature adult oriented. Felt more comfortable but there were fewer offerings at night.

Not retired yet, but returning to college for some courses is also something I would like to do in retirement. I'm a EE by degree, but never really used the degree as I took a business track during most of my career. Believe it or not, I would still like to go back and go through some of the physics and math and other engineering classes again.

I just finished in July of last year. It was a very difficult slog and I am thrilled to not be writing papers any more! I chose a very compressed schedule to get it over with quickly, but even with that, I was in the CFP program from Dec 2004 to Nov 2007, then started back up again Jan 2010 to July 2010 for my bachelor's.
I was mostly dismayed by the lack of forward momentum of my "peers".

Just started my last course in a certification program through the University of California. I've done it all on-line. There would have been no way to get to the physical campus while I was still working and although I could do it now that I am retired, it is a nasty, long distance commute. It has been a great experience, very focused, I've learned a ton about this particular field of study and it has really worked out well for me.

Back
Top Bottom