Anyone Else Delaying (Bond) Roth Conversions This Year?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've always broken my Roth conversion $ (and estimated taxes) into four roughly equal quarterly transactions. While anything could happen, it seems clear the Fed is going to significantly increase Fed funds rates this year driving down bond fund NAVs - as bond bears have been predicting since as early as 2009. So while I won't change my annual conversion $ total, it seems like a no brainer to convert more later instead of quarterly - more shares for the same tax hit with lower NAVs to come. I'll still make roughly equal estimated tax payments, but I'm in no hurry to do the conversions. What am I missing?

I already did a partial conversion while the market was down in Feb, but I did it with equities. I would not have any problem converting bonds now, but you are probably right about the # of shares being more later in the year for the same dollar amount.

VW

I already did a partial conversion while the market was down in Feb, but I did it with equities. I would not have any problem converting bonds now, but you are probably right about the # of shares being more later in the year for the same dollar amount.

VW

Ditto. Though I did mine in early March.

I will save the rest for later in the year.

Will a few hundred, or thousand dollars make a meaningful difference in 20yrs, when it might be time to spend it? timing the unknown in 9 months is hard.

I did a major part of my yearly Roth conversions in last two months when the stock market was down.

I took a 4% loss selling BND in my IRA to buy VTI down 12% in the Roth.

I have more conversions to do later in the year.

Back
Top Bottom