Anyone expecting an inheritance?

similar to your mom, i would personally rather die than live through alzheimer's. it's taxing enough that i have so much trouble getting a decent date on a saturday night. whether atheist, religious or spiritualist, nobody in touch with their own heart wants to see another live the difficult life and there are lots of ways of expressing that.

we want paradise, not poverty. lives filled with wonderful memories, not ones taken away by alzheimer's. we want a prodigy child, not children born with built-in stumbling blocks. but that's not what we get. so whenever we can, we try to make our lives and the lives of our loved ones as easy going as possible; because we know that so much of life is struggle even when you are born to advantage.

just think as to how much worry you have for your tori after you are gone and what you will do to secure her safe & happy future. if your mother had any wish it sounds to me like it was also driven by the very same urge to protect & secure & keep happy her family.

yet even while we don't want to see anyone suffer, there is a buddhist meditation whereby you ask for more adversity to come into your own life as this provides the opportunity for you to practice your compassion. perhaps now that your mother sees how well you are handling your responsiblities, she is better able to glow in that.

but just in case you want to hold that over her head, what a great lead-in to asking about tori's inheritance.

Laurence said:
I'm not super comfortable talking with them about it, it feels mercenary.

I guess I'm confused about this. Other than perhaps discussing setting up a trust for Tori, what is there to talk about with them?

My oldest grandson is afflicted with cerebral palsey and will need support for his entire life. Per my preliminary research, placing this support in a trust is beneficial in that it does not have to be spent before other sources of aid can come into play but rather used as a supplement to other sources of aid. Educating yourself about these things and sharing with your folks would be appropriate. That's where I'm at with my son.

Past that, your folks need to learn to spend and enjoy......for themselves. ;)

Laurence said:
In many ways my daughter is a blessing. Alzheimers and other debilitating conditions can be so heart wrenching. Down Syndrome, more specifically the gene that carries it is often called the Sunshine Gene, because in there way they understand their world, can relate to it, and enjoy it immensely.

My mother suggested it might be best Tori not get heart surgery when she was first born ( implicating it might be best she not live at all than live like that). Now my mom - staunch athiest that she is (was?)- is saying crazy things like Down Syndrome kids bring are here to bring light into the world. Amazing.

Laurence, based on your posts, Tori seems to be bringing a whole lot of light into your world!

Back
Top Bottom