Apartment pricing tips/tricks?

Hermes

Dryer sheet wannabe
Anyone have experience with big apartment complexes and getting the best prices at them, especially since they use software now to do demand-based pricing?

I'm moving to a pricey area in a big city due to my job location and the lifestyle I prefer (lots of nature nearby, walkable to local businesses, etc.). And I need to be in a complex with a gym & pool because I practically live in those outside of work, so smaller complexes without that are out. I accept I'll have to pay more because of where I want to live and I'm ok with that, but I am curious if there are ways to work with these big complexes and get better rates.

When I signed my last lease, prices dipped heavily, but then went up $200 a month in just one day! I still got it at a low rate, but it taught me that these demand-based pricing systems they are using can change the prices a lot overnight.

Are there certain days/times of the month where you'll get lower pricing if you sign leases on those days? (I'm thinking like cars where you get a better deal at the end of the month)

Are there ways to negotiate? For example, I have really good credit. I plan to already sign a 15 month lease.

I've heard summer is the worst time to move because prices go up, is that accurate? Sadly I need to move in June this time, but if this is true, I'll sign a 15 month lease to move that date for the future

Some things I've done before that worked:
1) Overheard the manager offer someone a $500 move-in special. Made note of the manager's name and then used that to get the same special.
2) Used a free apartment hunter that offered free moving services if I put their name down as the referral. This didn't save me on rent, but got me $400 off my move
3) Approached a friendly neighbor and put them down as the person who referred me (vs. an apartment hunter) and we split the $500 referral bonus she got from it.

Any advice on this is appreciated!

In my urban area, the big complexes are often reluctant to negotiate on price, saying the prices are set by computer, and they fluctuate daily. It is definitely more expensive to move during the summer, but there's also more turnover then and a bigger supply of apartments to choose from. When leasing is slow, prospective tenants are often offered incentives such as a free month to get them to sign, but existing tenants will never be offered the same incentives to stay.

Back
Top Bottom