Article criticizing FIRE

Not getting married was one of the smartest decisions I ever made.

IIRC one of the lessons from The Millionaire Next Door was to get married and to stay married - the inference being that it's important to marry the "right" person.

That's good advice, but I figured not getting married in the first place was an even better decision.

I agree.

I married a woman 20 years younger than me. I have retired but she is still working as a business owner. I enjoy being a house husband so getting married can be an asset....or a liability if the marriage falls apart.

Actually, it's getting unmarried that can slow the process (ask me).

Confess I married twice. But the first unmarried I was still quite young and no kids. It did empty my savings, but I had plenty of time to recover, thank goodness, so it didn’t set me back much.

Money and early retirement were not top priorities when a young DH and MarieIG ran off and eloped. :D

Confess I married twice. But the first unmarried I was still quite young and no kids. It did empty my savings, but I had plenty of time to recover, thank goodness, so it didn’t set me back much.

Your timing was great, mine, not so much. Without getting into it, my California divorce @ age 49, with two houses owned there (but mortgaged), two teenage daughters, expensive lawyers, etc, set me back 10 -15 years in retirement date.

Hmmm - being married didn't stop me from retiring before 40.

Didn't quite retire at 40, but marrying my Dear Trophy Wife helped me retire early enough. She has been saving and investing since her 20's and knows how to have fun on a modest budget. I'm lucky! :dance:

No kids, one marriage (no divorces), and two professional incomes gave us a great opportunity. The rest was living well below our means to save and invest.

FIRE

Financial Independence .. i hope EVERY member ( and reader ) can achieve that , and i don't care by how million you exceed your target by

Retire Early ... ( gasp ) is this a Federal crime :confused: not yet you say ,

you are happy to leave a j*b vacancy for someone who wants to expand their future ... how terrible is that , ( i don't think it is )

sure it is counterintuitive to those self-centred and obsessed on being at the top of the Forbes Rich List , but which is more mentally dangerous an employee trapped in an unenjoyed j*b or a financially sound citizen living life at the pace they wish to

good luck to all those that ' win the game ' ( and to all those with the courage to try )

Back
Top Bottom