At home testing to be covered by insurance, not Medicare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRLLS

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I read this this morning. Reportedly, home tests will be covered by insurance starting this Saturday. Only tests purchased on or after Jan. 15 will be required to be reimbursed. This is a big step forward. However, the exclusion of Medicare covered people is a misstep IMO.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/home-covid-tests-to-be-covered-by-insurers-starting-saturday

Home COVID testing kits to be covered by health insurers starting Saturday. It allows up to eight tests a month per person covered by their insurance policy.

Americans on Medicare won’t be able to get tests reimbursed through the federal insurance plan, but Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program plans are required to cover the cost of at-home tests fully. Those who are not on a covered insurance plan can receive free tests through the forthcoming federal website or from some local community centers and pharmacies.

I have to believe that will be remedied quickly. It makes no sense that the most vulnerable group won't have easy access to free home tests.

One will hope. According to the article,

Those who are not on a covered insurance plan can receive free tests through the forthcoming federal website or from some local community centers and pharmacies.

Whether they consider Medicare participants to be on a non-covered insurance plan or not is to be seen. Maybe it will just cover the non-insured? I just don't understand why Medicare participants are excluded.

I just don't understand why Medicare participants are excluded.

It's probably a matter of longer negotiations, etc., required with Medicare vs. other plans. And rather than hold everything up, release what they can now, and keep working on the rest?

Maybe they think those on medicare may not be working, so don't "need" to test as often as those heading into the workplace do? But, retirees may need to test as often if traveling!
Hopefully, it will be changed.

Maybe they think those on medicare may not be working, so don't "need" to test as often as those heading into the workplace do? But, retirees may need to test as often if traveling!
Hopefully, it will be changed.

Not to mention visiting or sitting for grandchildren and great-grandchildren who are not even eligible for the vaccine. We certainly want that group to be safe as can be.

If medicare does not cover this it supports my hard position that we have buffoons at the helm. If they come back after the fact with coverage it further supports my position.

BTW I can afford to buy my own tests. But they're not available. Shocker.

Double vaxxed and boosted I will not be taking any tests unless I'm hauled to the ER with a serious condition.

The best case scenario I can see is that this situation will fade and we'll have millions of unused test kits expiring in a warehouse.

Last edited:
This is political theater and will make getting the tests even harder, as explained here, cost is not the problem, the FDA, CDC are the problem. Of course, this will raise our insurance rates, one the reasons this wasn't announced 2 months ago

A ProPublica investigation published last month noted that in European countries such as France, Belgium, and Germany, ‘at-home tests are ubiquitous and as cheap as a decent cappuccino.’ But it found that in the U.S., they’re ‘pricey and hard to find,’ in part because of ‘overzealous regulation.’

The ProPublica investigation explains that, as of mid-November, the EU had authorized 39 rapid self-administered COVID antigen tests, but the U.S. had authorized just 12, only nine of which were available over the counter. That’s right: U.S. regulators have approved less than one-third as many of these tests as their European counterparts. With the supply of tests so artificially and arbitrarily constrained, is it any wonder there’s a shortage?

Easy (and free) access to home test kits would be nice... I'm sort of surprised that they aren't readily available by now but honestly I haven't been keeping up with that...

That came to my attention yesterday, when I took the DW for her semi-annual doctors appointment at our small rural clinic. I knew something was "not right" when we drove up since the parking lot was full and there were ~20 more vehicles parked in the field next to the clinic. (That's never happened in this one horse town) There was a big sign saying, if you are here for a covid testing, STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE. Sure enough most were there for covid testing.

Her appointment was twice as long as usual since much of the staff were running around to the parked vehicles to test the occupants for covid. (Dressed in full protective gear - they looked like they were ready for radiation fall out or a zombie attack) They would not let them in the office or even out of their vehicles... The office door was locked and the DW had to call-in to gain access for her regular appointment. (Good thing we had a cell phone with us) Not sure if it cost the folks anything getting the tests but I saw them signing paper work then getting the nasal swab test and then waiting, and waiting and waiting.... When we left (2 hours later) only about two vehicles had left and a dozen more had pulled up... So it looked to me that it was taking 3+ hours to get the test and "maybe" get the results? Must be awful just sitting in a car and waiting like that if you are really feeling sick.

For me, I just stayed in the truck while I waited for her as far away as I reasonably could and watched the action. I've seen the big city's long lines of cars on the "TV news", waiting to get tested or shots, but this is the first time I've seen anything like that around here... When we got back home I felt like heading for our "bunker".:hide:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom