BBB Scam tracker

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
The Better Business Bureau has a scam tracker, it can be found here. It lets people enter data about incidents affecting themselves or others. It tracked over 67000 scams in 2023 and has a report here

The top 5 causes were

- Crypto / investments
- Employment
- Online purchases
- Home improvement
- Romance

The one that surprised me the most was employment. The others, not so much.
The report is interesting reading, the tool is probably more helpful to collect data rather than prevent scams. It never occurred to me to look to the BBB for this type of support.

I remember Clark Howard harping about "work from home" scams. I haven't listened to him in years, but he used to have a page of legit work from home things.

The typical work from home scam, according to the BBB, is where you get a job re-shipping packages. It turns out the goods are purchased with stolen credit cards and payday comes and goes without compensation AND you're complicit in a stolen goods ring :facepalm:

I've read about work from home scams many times, so I'm not surprised it's near the top of the list.

The Better Business Bureau has a scam tracker, it can be found here. It lets people enter data about incidents affecting themselves or others. It tracked over 67000 scams in 2023 and has a report here

The top 5 causes were

- Crypto / investments
- Employment
- Online purchases
- Home improvement
- Romance

The report is interesting reading, the tool is probably more helpful to collect data rather than prevent scams. It never occurred to me to look to the BBB for this type of support.

LinkedIn has become a cesspool.

I have seen ads online for cushy home assignments which are somewhat vague on the details - and have been suspicious of those. My son told me not to open e-mails if I don't know the sender, and to stay on known websites.

Heh, heh, all of this to give Amway a "good" name, I guess. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom