Best history/nerdy places to travel

I like "Old West" towns including:
Arizona: Jerome, Tombstone, Bisbee
NM: Las Vegas New Mexico
NV: Virginia City, Carson City, Ely

We spent three days in Merida this past Feb. Enjoyed it very much.

We are looking to include Bulgaria in our next Greece trip. Just saw a travel show about it and spent some time researching. Looks like an easy add on.

Turkey is one of our favourites as well.

+1 on Bulgaria.

Turkey is great because of the Turkish people. Fantastic ruins, and if you don't love eggplant now you will at the end of your trip.

When I was a child beginning to study US history, the family traveled to New England. Visiting Plymouth Rock, Mayflower II, Plymouth Plantation, Lexington and Concord, Bunker Hill, Old North Church, Old Ironsides, to name a few, made it so much enjoyable to learn history. We did the same for our kids, and brought back many memories of walking Boston's Freedom Trail.

I had a similar experience. When visiting Czechia, a good day trip from Prague is to Kutna Hora, where the big attraction is the Sedlec Ossuary, essentially a chapel decorated everywhere with old human bones.

But if you go into the nearby town, there is a church, St. Barbara's, dating from the 14th century, that is an incredible architectural treasure, and most visitors don't even bother to look at it.

We used a curbside guide service stationed near the Powder Tower in Prague to take us to Kutna Hora as well as Sedlec. In addition to St. Barbara Church (a cathedral, really) and the ossuary we had a stop at the medieval Bohemian mint. The guide was a pleasant older lady who spoke English well. The tour group was small, maybe 10 people, so it wasn't unwieldy at all.

Tenerife and Gran Canaria, Canary Islands. Stopped there on a cruise and I'd love to live on either one. Lots of old buildings and great scenery, seems very laid back.

What are your favorite historical/nerdy places to travel? Especially outside the US and Western Europe?
<snip>
I like a healthy dose of history (but typically not museums) and some local culture mixed in.

Some favorite trips this far(I’d like to expand beyond West Europe):
- Greece: Athens Greek ruins, Oracle of Delphi, Olympia original Olympic stadium.
- Rome: Coliseum, Roman Forum, Jewish quarter
- Germany: Munich and Nuremberg WWII sites, Berlin Wall, German Christmas Markets
Got those covered plus France, Spain, Amsterdam to Bruges, Honfleur and Luxembourg, Italy north and south plus Sicily. Switzerland.

Cancelled a trip to Eastern Europe and Portugal this Septmber.

Also DC museums and NYC.

This is getting us antsy.....with an appallingly finite time remaining we want to get GOING!

Back
Top Bottom