Best street grub you've ever had

Cheese croquettes (in Belgium they take a chunk of gouda the size of a deck of playing cards, bread it and deep-fry it so it's crispy and hot and just gooey enough). Unbelievably good.

Unbelievably gouda, huh?

Deviled Crab from street vendors in Ybor City (Tampa). The last time I had a dozen or so of these beauties it was around 1966 and they cost 10 cents each~no extra charge for a splash of hot sauce!

I was there in the summer of '08. I didn't see any street vendors selling crab. Maybe they have moved on to somewhere else?

As for the best street grub, I'd have say the night markets of Taipei. Though knowing what I know now, I'd recommend that you get your Hep A-B shots first. :)

Space cakes in the parking lot at a Dead show sometime in the '80s. They put M&Ms in them, and they were STRONG! I never even made it into the show that night. Stayed in the parking lot and hung out with my best friends I had never met before. Yow! :dance:

Other than times when my judgement has been impaired, I try to avoid street food. I worked in restaurants as a kid, and some of them were pretty disgusting back then. I can't imagine the nasty stuff that goes on in the little carts. Plus, these are not the happiest people in the world running these things. I don't want to be part of their revenge on the world.

Pad See Yew (sp?) in Bangkok. What a great dish I went back to that guy at least five times, cost equiv of about 40 cents.

Silkworms count as grubs, right? I saw street vendors selling them in Seoul. No, I didn't try them. Had some great little red-bean cake things though.

-ERD50

Carne asada burritos from a roach coach that came to a gas station I worked at as a kid. They were so good - but you would burp alot after(small price to pay) - sometimes still burping right up till you got another one the next day........no wonder I have an iron stomach.

Back
Top Bottom